Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just starting out.

AnMadraRua

Hi people,

I'm just starting out in window cleaning after taking redundancy from my job of 26 years and I have a ton of questions, so here goes.

Does the minibore hose run up inside the pole to the brush or does the water run inside the pole itself?

I have seen a system on fleabay that consists of a 350 litre tank, 4040 RO system, 7 litre DI unit, pump, analogue controller and tank frame for £975. Is this good value?

How long would this system take to fill?

Do I need a trolley system as well to reach those hard to get to places?

Inline TDS metre of handheld?

Is the battery taken in at night to charge or can it be connected to my van alternator?

What length of hose would I need on the trolley (hence the question about hose inside the pole)?

Do I really need a ladder and traditional equipment?

Would you recommend something like a misty belt or dragonfly for doing internal windows or use trad?

That's all for now, hope you guys can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa!! Questions, questions........haha ha welcome to the forum

The mini bore can run inside or outside depending on preference, you need to know your tap water tds (quality if you will) if you live in a hard water then RO is a must, are you on a water meter?

That package you have seen doesn't seem to bad to me, what you thinking of fitting it into? Van or trailer? Fill time depends on water pressure, but i would guess about 7 hours.

Trolly or not depends on your work and access, handheld tds will do but inline would be nice.

As for battery charging.....if you only plan on short journeys then charge at night, if you will be doing mileage then split charger will be fine, split chargers can be hard on alternators!

Hose length?=reel......100m seems the norm, it does not run up the pole you will have a different hose that connects to the reel.

Its always handy to have trad gear for internal cleans and for people that might not want wfp. As for trad gear, try different belts/pocket/bucket on a belt combo,s to suit your own preference

I have always used unger belts, plastic T bar and unger monsoon applicator, syr 14" squeegee and unger boab.

There you go, lol. That should help you to begin with and create another list of questions lmao ask away bud helpful bunch on here :laugh:

Thanks Keir,

I'm still a bit confused about hose inside the pole. When you extend the pole does that mean you pull hose into the base of the pole as you extend it?

Thanks

Thanks Keir,
I'm still a bit confused about hose inside the pole. When you extend the pole does that mean you pull hose into the base of the pole as you extend it?

Thanks

yes mate the hose gets pulled into base of pole

Yeah, from the tank there is garden size hose to the pump, then again to the di and again to the reel, then its usually 8mm micro bore 100m on the reel, then its 6mm upvc pipe similar to airline or soft garden hose material depending on preference.

The hose that goes up the pole is about 30 foot long so when fully extended you have 4-6 foot left, if you go for up the outside of the pole then it can be highly frustrating catching on anything and everything or you will love it, up the inside is how i prefer it but on wet days or different types of work can cause grit to get on the internal sliding parts of the pole and wear it out early or you can wipe the pipe and pole sections regularly.

Ford connect......great little van

Haha well done, no but I will be moving to Ireland within the next 6 months hopefully as my wife is from Cork and she wants to move back and I am of irish descent (Murphy). I'm going to need a job in Ireland as I've worked as a machine operator for a large engineering company for 26 years and have no real skills so I landed on window cleaning. Do it for a few months over here, build up a skill base then move to Ireland.

You mention having no real skills as a machine operator, if u can operate a machine then u do have skill. there is an unger youtube teaching video, which says at the end i think is good. "window cleaning is not rocket science, but it does take skill" so once u learn to windy clean then you will be truly skillfull in life:)

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks people, I'll look for the Unger vids on YouTube and Mr Shine I hope you don't think I'm coming over to poach your customers ;-). I have a few more questions too.

I've read that the 4040 RO systems are no good unless you have good water pressure, any thoughts on this? Would

the plastic systems such as the ones made by Streamline be ok for my needs (250 or 350 litre tank)?

Any thoughts on securing a trolley system in the back if your van.

Thanks in advance.

There's different membranes, i have a low pressure membrane as my tap pressure isn't brilliant. It still produces 1000 litres in 24 hours

Back