Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do i do about a bounced cheque ?!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

S

sdrah

Hi guys - A customer paid me a £200 cheque last week however I think is bounced as on the statement says CUI ref xxxxx -£200 or did they canceled it ?! .

I only have their mob number but they don't pick up .... and they moved from that address too ...

how do i sort it out ? /emoticons/smile.png Im gonna call the bank tomorrow to see what they will say

I had a rubber cheque a few months back. I always write the address on the back of them now, as trying to work out who Mrs Smith is is sometimes a head scratcher.

Did you have the cheque returned to you?

You would have to ask the bank but either way sounds like you're going to be £200 down by the sounds of it.

i only had a couple both from the same lady.....she still owes me now but i dinna bother to go anymore....

good idea tuffers it does get hard to know where they are from...will do that from now on...

i know cat womans six monthly cheque as its all wrinkled from being under the wheelie bin with out being in a plastic bag....

I thavent got it back - im with natwest the cheque was from a HSBC account - probably i should contact HSBC .

I was told that they have to pay a fee there wasnt enough money in their account - and I can take the cheque to the bank again .. anyway my gut tells me im not gonna get these money ...

next time im gonna ask cash only for one off customers ...

if it says you can take it back-represent- then do that,it usually means they are only overdrawn on the day your cheque went in.

if it says you can take it back-represent- then do that,it usually means they are only overdrawn on the day your cheque went in.

got the cheque back today with a stamp on it ACCOUNT CLOSED ....

Anyway of finding where they moved to? I would try and find out and pester them until you got your cash.
Steve
payment was for an End of tenancy cleaning

the property is on rightmove and I have contacted the agent however they don't know the tenants but promised to have a chat with the landlord

The landlord may have their tenancy deposit ..

Just a thought if you can prove the person was acting fraudulently when he/she gave you the cheque i.e. the date that the account was closed knowing full well the cheque would not be cleared then surely it would be a criminal offence?

Just a thought if you can prove the person was acting fraudulently when he/she gave you the cheque i.e. the date that the account was closed knowing full well the cheque would not be cleared then surely it would be a criminal offence?
CAB

It's not against the law to stop a cheque. However, it is a criminal offence to hand over a cheque with the intention of stopping it later, although this can be difficult to prove. If you hand over a cheque knowing that the bank or building society won't pay the amount, that is, it will bounce the cheque, this is also a criminal offence.

Back