Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are my rubbers fine?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

theres a lot of duff/faulty rubber out there mate. i had to return a pack of Unger that to the eye looked perfect but it just wouldnt work right. over the years iv had faulty rubber from every make apart from Wagtail. if i was you id buy a few from diffrent makes and once i found a gud un, by a stash of it

The Facelift RazrbladeRED have been good for me. Try replacing your rubbers every few hundred quid to work to maintain standards.

theres a lot of duff/faulty rubber out there mate. i had to return a pack of Unger that to the eye looked perfect but it just wouldnt work right. over the years iv had faulty rubber from every make apart from Wagtail. if i was you id buy a few from diffrent makes and once i found a gud un, by a stash of it
yeh me had some cr ap ones...grrrr they lasted a short while then developed a kink which left a streak so i turned it over and it was okay for a while and did the same thing in the same place...you cant trust anything just because its new....

also when you get your rubbers be careful how you store them. leaving them rattling around in your car or van they easily can be ruined by vibration if the blade edge touches summat hard as the van bounces along .

i now have a special long thin plastic box ,lined with soft material, just to carry my rubbers in the van .

Ive never been let down by ettore rubbers, however I only buy a few at a time for the very reason that it would irritate the life out me if I bought a bulk back and a few of them were duff.

I never usually go no longer than a week before replacing the rubber.

One thing maybe to check if you have had the same problem with a few rubbers is the squeegee channel look down the channel and see is there is a slight kink or bend in it as this would also cause ressidue to be left on window after fanning.

Cnc, ifyou're getting a streak in the same place every time then there is a good chance its your BOAB. Following some advice on here I put some duck tape on the top of where the blade makes contact. It works a treat.

I'm really surprised at this, I've never, as far as I know, had bad rubbers of any make. One thing I have noticed though, with Pulex, is when they are new, say the first house or so, you have to go very lightly with them, and then they're OK.

couple of years ago i bought a large pack of Unger soft, 14 inches. first day i tried them they would not squeegee right. i knew it was not me cos my employee mentioned he too was having a problem.

so i phoned up my supplier . he said return them. as it happens he isnt too far away so we drove over to the shop. Supplier was convinced it was my channel that was bent, i use a wagtail and he said thats your problem.But i wasnt having any of that tosh ,and after some persuasion he loaded up one of the rubbers into his own Ergotech squeegee and soaped up ,cleaned the shop door window. it hadnt been cleaned in a long time.

he was surprised ,couldnt get a clean swipe- tried several times but oh no , the rubber was indeed faulty . he then couldnt find my original invoice on his computer to give me a refund and at first accused me i bought it somewhere else.In the end he gave in and refunded me. Because the rubber still was all in the packet ,looked perfect to the eye too,he put it back on the shelf and said he was going to sell it as normal!

Last edited:
Because the rubber still was all in the packet ,looked perfect to the eye too,he put it back on the shelf and said he was going to sell it as normal!
What a twatty thing to do.....come-on Boarcity.......NAME AND SHAME .

I've been having a similar problem since I bought a new BOAB. I had an old green unger BOAB which was well worn where the squeege went in + the belts plastic conector broke. I got the new unger ninga BOAB which is idendical to old green one.

But my rubber seems to get some sort of nick (not visible) which can leave streak. It's about 1/3rd down. Might try my old BOAB to rule out the new one.

Also I use pulex rubber but buy it in 36" strips and cut to length.

LOL boarcity. I use soap national for my trad gear. Maybe I got ur old stock./emoticons/biggrin.png

I've been having a similar problem since I bought a new BOAB. I had an old green unger BOAB which was well worn where the squeege went in + the belts plastic conector broke. I got the new unger ninga BOAB which is idendical to old green one.
But my rubber seems to get some sort of nick (not visible) which can leave streak. It's about 1/3rd down. Might try my old BOAB to rule out the new one.
I'm pretty sure its a problem with the ninjas as that's what I have. The problem with mine was the dividing strip down the middle. Where the end of the blade was hitting it, it had started to get a little chipped, and therefor sharp on the rubber. I used togo through a rubber a da, sometimes 2. Even the hard ones were still getting damaged, it was costing me a fortune. By sticking a thin strip of duck tape on it, the problem went away overnight, so that's definitely what it was for me.

Thanks TAP. Will give that a try. Like u say can't keep replacing the rubber each day or two.

Did u just but the duck tape on the top or top and side? (does that make sense)

Thanks TAP. Will give that a try. Like u say can't keep replacing the rubber each day or two.Did u just but the duck tape on the top or top and side? (does that make sense)
I just cut a piece about 1inch by half an inch. So it covers the top and goes down the sides to keep it on. Make sure the area is dry, but then once its on, duct tape can handle wet environments.

Cnc, ifyou're getting a streak in the same place every time then there is a good chance its your BOAB. Following some advice on here I put some duck tape on the top of where the blade makes contact. It works a treat.
Good tip tolish.

Another way to protect your rubber is to slot a couple of old rubber blades into each boab slot. It works for me.

That makes total sense now. I've been wondering why I've been getting lines about a third of the way down the blade, and annoyingly the tiny nick that must be there is impossible to see when I inspect the rubber. Will be duck taping round the top of the boab tomorrow.

One thing I always do when I throw my belt in my boot, is to always make sure that the squeegee is lying with the channel against the plastic in my boab rather than on the rubber if you understand me. I really get no probelms with this and my rubbers litually last for weeks.

Mart.

Back