Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Guttering and fascia's

jordan

Yet another question sorry im sure theres hundreds more to come!

I have had customers ask me if i do guttering and fascia's.

What equipment do i need for both? what chemicals? can i just use my morning fresh washing up liquid?

can you lean on guttering?

i have a 6 metre unger pole with a brush attachment on i hope this will work

Virosol is a good chemical to break up the green muck. Do you have a hose attachment for your brush? You could dunk your brush in a Virosol mix and rub it on the UPVC and rinse off with customers water using your pole and brush.

Dodgy resting your ladder on the gutter, it could slide for one and you could crack it. A stand off is a good idea. Also Pro Gutter tools are very good http://progutter.co.uk, you screw the tool onto an Unger or similar pole.

Before WFP I'd just dunk a sill cloth in soapy water then wring it little, put in waterproof pouch on belt then go up & scrub a bracket to bracket section then dry with a scrim I had carried up too, it's basic, slow & tiring so make sure you charge accordingly. I too would recommend the Stand Off & Pro Gutter (otherwise a Gutter Tool to attach to Unger pole)

Thanks Tuffers got myself some virosol where would i find the hose attachments? i've purchased some pro gutter tools aswell /emoticons/smile.png

You will need to hook up to the customers outside tap. Do you have a brush or just the screw end on the Unger pole that will take a brush? Can you post links to what you have?

No and its a pain as there has been lots of customers wanting frames done but its impossible for me to use that pole i need to get something to do windows above porches and windows i cant get to on ladder ???

You really should first invest in a ladder standoff mate, aslong as your ladders are long enough to reach the guttering.

gi_3_243_250_181.jpg

I did one the other week, I just setup my ladder simular to the one in picture, then after clearing the guttering(it was pratically empty), I just sprayed Ubik2000 onto the guttering/sofitts using my small pump sprayer and then scrubbed it abit with a cheap hand brush. Then just wipe clean with a water soaked cloth. It came up perfect and was quite enjoyable to do and so much easier than reaching up with a pole of any type.

Also, the ladder standoff comes in good use for those windows over conservatories etc, I just set it up below the guttering and pole horizontally with a zero degree squeegee.

pump%20sprayer%20lg.jpg

This is the type of pump sprayer I use and the good thing with this, that handle allows you to hook it over one of the ladder rungs when not in use(no need to climb up n down each time)

Mart.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the setup I use as for safer roofline work as those normal standoff's like in the pic are a waste of time and downright dangerous to use if you ask me when trying to overcome deep sofits etc.

View attachment 2685

This pic just about covers how awkward some jobs can be and some can be even harder to do.

Deep soffits so a normal standoff would be usless

Ali gutters have internal brackets so you cant use a pole & progutter tools.

Some guttering that you cant reach by ladder over ground floor pitched roofs & conservatory so only other alternative was to use a guttervac instead.

Every job is different so you need to have the right kit to reduce the risks to be able to take on jobs that can pay very well.

Likewise when washing over gutters, fascias and soffits etc best to invest in some decent wfp kit to overcome awkward areas you can’t reach by ladders.

Unfortunately in this game you can spend a fortune building up the right kit that makes the job easier & safer to do but is still bloody hard work.

Speaking of which I better get off my **** and go and do some now.

Back