Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Algae

WCF

Help Support WCF:

rafawindowcleaning

Hi noticed lately that there seems to be a little bit of algae appearing in my tank. Whats the best method to gey rid? Was thinking liquid bleach in the tank and drian the tank completely ?? Would it.help? I have heard thats not too good idea to.drain tank completely as can create air pockets in the system and might create problems with water flow? Any advice much appreciated as always

If it's clear tanks then will be an ongoing issue if sunlight can get to them as the purification process doesn’t filter out micro organisms but does take out tap water chlorine. Funny enough I've noticed algae growth on the sides of plastic tanks don't seem to affect the tds at all. I usually just jet wash them out once or twice a year then flush the crud out. You could use bleach to wash them out too but I have never bothered myself.

You can also get mains electric UV pond inline filters that will kill micro bugs too. Again I have never bothered as the pure water never stays in the holdind tanks long enough to warrant this.

Best solution is to get tanks that don't let sunlight through so the micro organisms in the water don't multiply.

Hi noticed lately that there seems to be a little bit of algae appearing in my tank. Whats the best method to gey rid? Was thinking liquid bleach in the tank and drian the tank completely ?? Would it.help? I have heard thats not too good idea to.drain tank completely as can create air pockets in the system and might create problems with water flow? Any advice much appreciated as always

If it's clear tanks then will be an ongoing issue if sunlight can get to them as the purification process doesn’t filter out micro organisms but does take out tap water chlorine. Funny enough I've noticed algae growth on the sides of plastic tanks don't seem to affect the tds at all. I usually just jet wash them out once or twice a year then flush the crud out. You could use bleach to wash them out too but I have never bothered myself.
You can also get mains electric UV pond inline filters that will kill micro bugs too. Again I have never bothered as the pure water never stays in the holdind tanks long enough to warrant this.

Best solution is to get tanks that don't let sunlight through so the micro organisms in the water don't multiply.
is the water good to drink ?! as I do drink occasionally and sometimes the water is a bit over a week since has been produced ..

I would not drink purified water myself... :rolleyes:

That's why mains tap water is safe to drink from a kichen tap as has chlorine added to kill all the bugs. As soon as you start messing with tap water i.e. putting it through an ro the chlorine is removed.

is the water good to drink ?! as I do drink occasionally and sometimes the water is a bit over a week since has been produced ..

has anyone tried the tablets you can get for motorhome tanks etc, iv got a little bit on the far side of my tank that i cant get too and am wanting to try somethingthat i could fill and leave for the weekend then drain and fill a few times before i go back out on monday?

I use milton baby steriliser in my tanks once every now and then, but mainly before holidays where they are dormant for a couple of weeks. And more to do with legionaries disease than algae

So how much would you need to put in for say a full 1000 ltr ibc?

I use milton baby steriliser in my tanks once every now and then, but mainly before holidays where they are dormant for a couple of weeks. And more to do with legionaries disease than algae

I'm not the best at maths but just chuck two zero's on both figures

1500ml to 2500 ltr ????

So do you just add it to the water in the tank or make a batch up to scrub the tank out with it?

I just mixed a batch of 100 litres and used my pole and sill brush to do my ibc, then the same for my 350 but had to it by hand as access was harder

Back