Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What a day

Smurf

Well I've had quite an interesting day today chatting.

1. On the way to an all day job I passed a falch pressure washer van in a petrol station forecourt with the chaps just setting up. So being inquisitive I wanted to find out if they were local as you do. Turns out they are from another town and most of their work is commercial stuff and with that setup I can see why.

2. Whilst working a bin cleaner pickup pulled up at the house I was working on so as you do I had a little chat with the guy. Told me he had been doing it 7 years and was easy money. When I asked how much the lic was he told me he pays £150 a year for the privilege to empty the waste water down one designated drain. That was his own at home...

3 Chap pulled up down at the side street by the house and asked me what system I was using. Turns out he had an ionics thermapure systems but retired 5 years ago. Said he packed it in as was no money in window cleaning doing commercial jobs mainly and for him just to get by needed at least 500 regular domestic customers too.

4. I had a chat with the a chap across the road working in his garden as he came over as wanted a quote

5. Got stopped working by the lady next door so had a chat as she wanted a quote.

6. Customer was very chatty too

I must have spent more time chatting than doing any actual work today but still managed to finish the job before it got dark. /emoticons/biggrin.png

The joys of working or in my case not working very much for yourself.... Works for me /emoticons/biggrin.png

Well I did get a £20 tip from the customer, two new jobs, a contact for commercial pressure washing I could sub out to and found out more about bin washing. So all in all was quite a productive day.

I don't chat for nothing you know /emoticons/wink.png

I don't mind chatting if I get something out of it...Building trust with customers is all part of the game too.

After saying that there are also some very lonely older folk out there so if I have time I will have a chat just to make sure they are ok as you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to be having moine and more days like this. It seems the weather brings out the talkers.
Same here tolish. I had two long stoppages today......tea and biscuits Indoors with one of my old lady customers and then a complete garden and allotment tour with another customer. Some people dont seem to realise that you have a job to do.

I don't mind chatting if I get something out of it...Building trust with customers is all part of the game too.
After saying that there are also some very lonely older folk out there so if I have time I will have a chat just to make sure they are ok as you do.
Very true smurf. You do notice that there are some very lonely people out there........and they look forward to a visit from their windy.

Well I've had quite an interesting day today chatting.
1. On the way to an all day job I passed a falch pressure washer van in a petrol station forecourt with the chaps just setting up. So being inquisitive I wanted to find out if they were local as you do. Turns out they are from another town and most of their work is commercial stuff and with that setup I can see why.

2. Whilst working a bin cleaner pickup pulled up at the house I was working on so as you do I had a little chat with the guy. Told me he had been doing it 7 years and was easy money. When I asked how much the lic was he told me he pays £150 a year for the privilege to empty the waste water down one designated drain. That was his own at home...

3 Chap pulled up down at the side street by the house and asked me what system I was using. Turns out he had an ionics thermapure systems but retired 5 years ago. Said he packed it in as was no money in window cleaning doing commercial jobs mainly and for him just to get by needed at least 500 regular domestic customers too.

4. I had a chat with the a chap across the road working in his garden as he came over as wanted a quote

5. Got stopped working by the lady next door so had a chat as she wanted a quote.

6. Customer was very chatty too

I must have spent more time chatting than doing any actual work today but still managed to finish the job before it got dark. /emoticons/biggrin.png
Did the bin cleaner say how much he earned smurf?

Same here tolish. I had two long stoppages today......tea and biscuits Indoors with one of my old lady customers and then a complete garden and allotment tour with another customer. Some people dont seem to realise that you have a job to do.
I just got a little brainwave. How about we walk about with a taxi meter on our heads. So the longer the custy keeps us, the more they get charged? /emoticons/biggrin.png I bet they won't be bothering us then. /emoticons/wink.png

More than cleaning windows that's for sure /emoticons/biggrin.png

Just kidding... no he didn't say but I know with a big cutomer base they can earn a lot of money at it.

Did the bin cleaner say how much he earned smurf?

With our prices I'm sure we can afford to lose a few mins in a day /emoticons/wink.png

I just got a little brainwave. How about we walk about with a taxi meter on our heads. So the longer the custy keeps us, the more they get charged? /emoticons/biggrin.png I bet they won't be bothering us then. /emoticons/wink.png

i dodge em most of the time but when i get caught...as i did the other day...its time to put in an appearance anyway....its all part of the game...and i be good at gabbing....of course there is a golden rule....

always let them lead until you know them well enough as you just dont know their particular point of view...

i arrived at one new custy recently and one of the first things i said was sorry i am late but i had a maccy d...and immediately i could see that was the wrong thing to say...in fact i was saying it because i hadnt had one for about a year but some people just dont like certain things ...so always follow the lead...

i have known most of my custys for a while now and i know all their particular ways....

i like the one who gets me a bucket of water....and its always brim full and he can hardly carry it ...just his way.../emoticons/smile.png

That's very true as is so easy to say the wrong thing especially when on the phone.

I was trying to sort out dates to book work in so said to one lady “you’re on maternity leave aren’t you" when she called getting confused with someone else. No she said I've had all the children I want thanks....Oops!

I've dropped my foot in it on a number of times but the best one was a chap that phoned again I got him confused with someone else. The poor bloke can hardly walk but we were chatting on the phone to sort a job out and he said "I'm 66 you know" I said really you must be doing something right as you're wearing well" He said "yes apart from my legs don't want to work". Then I remembered it was not the same chap I thought I was talking too.

Oh well I’m getting old so suppose I can get away with it as most think my memory is shot anyway which it is /emoticons/biggrin.png

i like it when they ring in and say can you clean my windows and i think yes of course ...but who the hell are you?

swapping to my smart phone has left all my contacts on my old phone and so one just came up with the number yesterday...but i guessed from the style it was fred....er well ...michelle....i had to change the name as the wife was suspicious...well she is very nice...

i must get my act together...if you could just see my box of kit....:eek: and despite buying all new kit for insides only its still on the top of the extension cupboards...and so when i was inside the other day on the most spotless house ever and pulled out my scraper it was like a mini typhoon of **** fell on the floor...i just need a break...but two jobs rolled in last night...and the weather is so good...so make hay whilst the sun shines:D

Back