Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Weirdest request ever

Smurf

Just had a call asking if I worked in town so being on my guard I said no as what sounded like a young lady was a bit distraught. Then I asked why? She then went on to say “I’ve live in a first floor flat and locked myself out. The window is open so was wondering if I could borrow your ladder.” My reply was “does anyone have a spare key you can get.” She says “N0.” I then said “best you call out a locksmith as is very dangerous for anyone to attempt to clamber through a window that high up.

I do hope she does calls out a locksmith don’t you?

you should have said yeah ill lend you my ladder, give me £30 and you can borrow it. what would a locksmith call out charge be? £50-£80 ?

perfect money making opportunity lol. i had something similar, customer wanted to borrow ladders whilst i was cleaning the bottoms, he was fixing an external cable, had them for about 5 minutes. He gave me an extra fiver.

I was more concerned if she had fallen that's why I don't lend or charge ppl to borrow/rent out my ladders as I would not be able to sleep at night.

Another reason to be careful is that you could end up being the unwitting accomplice to a robbery. Locksmiths have even been known to get calls off people needing to get it to there house, only problem is its not actually thiers, and they've just helped someone break into some poor sods house.

The crafty beggers :eek:

Another reason to be careful is that you could end up being the unwitting accomplice to a robbery. Locksmiths have even been known to get calls off people needing to get it to there house, only problem is its not actually thiers, and they've just helped someone break into some poor sods house.

i once let a lady use my ladder to climb in an upstairs window when she had locked herself out . in hindsight it was a daft move .

Taking about crims my little sister phoned me up tonight to say that she had been with a film crew today as they wanted a driving instructor to be filmed giving lessons to a chap that was one of the most prolific car thieves in the country as he stole car to order. Turns out he wasn't that great at it as spent 18 years of the 47 years of his life banged up so decided to try turning his life around which is what the documentary is about.

I've climbed in windows myself for people who were locked out, a few times - never thought about the burglar side of it till I read this!
Did you not think it was a bit strange when they had you carrying electrical goods back down the ladder? o_O

/emoticons/biggrin.png

The ironic thing is the main reason why Scotland brought in licensing for window cleaners was to help cut down on house burglaries:rolleyes:

The ironic thing is the main reason why Scotland brought in licensing for window cleaners was to help cut down on house burglaries:rolleyes:
<cough>...and to raise money from hard working people for the councils coffers.<cough>

<cough>...and to raise money from hard working people for the councils coffers.<cough>
Aaargh, don't get me started on that.... Just paid £277 for a licence for a guy to help me part time, and a week later he got offered a job in Dubai.... Council won't transfer to another person it or refund all or part of it :mad:

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....line up against a wall and shoot em all...oops did i just say that out aloud...gchq..not me its a troll...:rofl:

have to say poor beccy..sorry...but once they get it they never give it back...its to pay for their duck ponds and things..

Last edited by a moderator:
That's shocking Beccy.:eek: I would bouncing off the walls if that happened to me and sent a strong letter to the Scottish government. Ironically some parts of Scotland you apparently don't need a license as the local council can't afford to run it which makes matters worse in your situation so is a good angle to try to get your money back.

Aaargh, don't get me started on that.... Just paid £277 for a licence for a guy to help me part time, and a week later he got offered a job in Dubai.... Council won't transfer to another person it or refund all or part of it :mad:

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png

hmmmm , yes and so i set off to go and get two bags of pebbles for his water feature over the road as you do....and at the roundabout....road closed...so i go the four mile detour and come out to find road closed....so i aint giving up...and i go via the back roads past the traffic lights...apparently there because somebody was cutting his tree...and out i come to road closed...sod this i thought...enough goody goody..and i drive past onto the garden centre mention it in there and she says oh yes the a50 is closed from knutsford....not a sight of anybody working anywhere....drove back okay as it was only one side closed....this was dinner time...no work man or lorries anywhere....line up against the wall and give me the bloody gun...they were the dearest pebbles ever by the time you factor in the detour for no reason...grrrrr bloody country's gone to pot....

Back