Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

That will teach me

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Smurf

Was clearing & cleaning the gutters on a mid terraced 3 bed house today and all was going well.

I noticed whilst I was clearing the front gutter run out the shared downspout next door the downspout was blocked with the usual plant growth growing out of it. Anyway I mentioned this to the customer and she said they are away but if you could unblock it that would be great otherwise my guttering will back up again with rainwater. I had to laugh when she said that as

I just removed about 20kg of sods full to the brim on her side.

Anyway to cut a long story short I never go on ppl's property without their permission but thought next door are away and their guttering is not bad so will only take a couple of mins to make everyone happy. That was a very big mistake as I did not even knock the door. By the time I removed the blockage from the downspout a young lad came out asking me what I was going whilst he was on the phone to someone. Great I thought now I’m in for a bollocking of the century. Oops!

Next thing I asked to speak to who was on the other end of the phone as you do. Turn out to be his mum who was not in the best of moods as was her parents house. I kept calm whilst taking my ballocking and explained my actions as was trying just to help everyone out. Turns out the parents hate the person next door (my customer) so it did not help matters very much. The lady on the phone did say it is the horible woman next door dirt that keeps blocking my parents guttering. I said " I'm not horible but nice and I've just cleared the blocked downspout for you parents for free which saves them a job to do. By the way the reason why the downspout was blocked so quickly as whoever replaced it last year put long screws through the joint bends to keep them together. Unfortunatly in doing so the moss etc will keep gettting caught so will get blocking up again." We did have a bit of a laugh and joke so all ended well in the end.

I was dreading her parents coming home though but lucky for me they didn't as I'm sure it would have all kicked off again.

So the motto of the story is don't listen to what customers tell you /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway I gave the evidence that came out of the downspout to the young lad which was a great big plant with a route ball to boot. Which he promtly took it and went indoors. Bless him /emoticons/biggrin.png

I would love to be a fly on the wall when his graddparents get home.

Maybe I should stick a £35 invoice through their door? /emoticons/biggrin.png

What do you think? :rolleyes:

wishfull thinking with the invoice , bye the way smurf voluntary work is thankless and un paid but sure have a go if you want a proper ballocking /emoticons/sad.png

I would love to be a fly on the wall when his graddparents get home.Maybe I should stick a £35 invoice through their door? /emoticons/biggrin.png

What do you think? :rolleyes:
why not at least you ve done the work

the other month police were looking for a white transit who took the payment from about 45 houses for jet washing the wheelie bins - but they never did /emoticons/biggrin.png

I've heard of that scam too.... Most pay upfront 60 quid or so x 45 houses = £2700 min cash for just a few hours door knocking.

I blame travelers after a quick buck don't you?:rolleyes:

Cmon smurf, you've been in the game to know not to do this sort of stuff. :rolleyes:

Heres a very recent story of mine;

Painted a large bedroom for a horrible old lady. She was a pain in the aris throughout the whole job. Huge house- tight as a frogs ****. Stupid mind games, and constantly trying to get a discount from an already reasonably priced job. She added a couple of "can you just" jobs while I was working, which I did for her. Then at the end she added another; asking me to fix an internal door that had come off the hinge. I said I'll have to see if I have time when I've finished the job (you know, the one I'm being paid for!). So Iwas pushed for time that day, but I thought if I just did that job she would be happy, and everyones a winner. So I had my Stanley knife in my hand and begin to fix the door for the old bag, and then with one swift move, I managed to put the blade through my finger. Blood ****** out everywhere all over her light cream carpets. 2 minutes to do the job, and half an hour to hide/clean the blood stained carpets.

She seemed like she really appreciated my efforts to help her. :rolleyes:

Never again.

yeh i get caught out too....never believe the house is empty someone will always pop up to surprise you...many a time i have been caught out...now i always ring knock and clean the door first...

i often want to do stuff for people and then say but will they know so i dont do it anymore...unless they specifically ask....

and that tolish is a prime reason cause sometimes it just goes wrong.....

well i just installed a water feature for him over the road...all the time with a stella in hand and he has just bought a pack of twelve across...happy days...:cool:,

I knocked a big flower pot over once while doing an internal clean. Mud and dirt all over the carpet. They never invited me in again for some reason :laugh:

I bet none of you have accidently killed one of their pets though:D

My mate found out it's not a good idea to use solvent cleaners in the same room as a caged bird. Oops!:rofl:

Dead parrot sketch springs to mind :laugh:

[media]

[/media]

yeh some ot the python stuff didnt do a lot for me but some of it was pure class....but god they look young i feel old...

of course we know life of brian word for word...:rofl:looking forward to the reunion....

They are not so young now... How time flies /emoticons/biggrin.png

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/john-cleese-the-bbc-makes-****-comedy-and-would-never-commission-monty-python-now-9542942.html

If you could what year and back to where? :rolleyes:

For me I hated school so those years are out

As a teenager I had a face covered in acne

My first real play with a girl of my own age at 16 was a disaster

Can’t really remember much between the ages of 16 - 21 as was hardly ever sober

Married at 23 so all went downhill from there. Bless her little cotton soaks /emoticons/biggrin.png

good job your other half dont read your posts....pretty much my life too smurf...married at 24....although to be honest...i think all woman are the same so its just the way the cookie crumbles...

of course you know that marriage has a ring to it...:rofl:

but of course if we had a time machine....would anyone be married?

I don't regret it to be honest but oh boy does she nag...it's good job in my old age I'm starting to go deaf /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back