Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need advice with quote

That job cries out wfp method to me at least for the windows in the roof & above the conservatory as no way could I trad pole those windows properly anyhow.

them roof ones trad are really scary...i couldnt face that again ...i had one and did it for awhile but too old now..

now as for a price...well it is london...maybe up here in da poor north ....well i would maybe ...to be nice say...outside not including conny roof £95...but as its in london....wow....

insides are nearly the same but does depend...some i charge a bit extra ...some like the one i dodged today were leaded only on the outside.....oh little squares...

i did use to do one bigger than that took me a day in and a day out...and that was skipping a few...well she was very very tight ...she owned a small loans company...that was going back nearly twenty years so the price wouldnt help.. but walking up the drive to start....:eek:

Thanks for the reply's guys. Went to have a look at the house in person today, they don't want the roof cleaning as they have already had a WFP guy to do that, they wont let him touch the windows though as last time she said after he had finished they looked 10 times worse lol.

You cant see in the pic but there is a walk way behind the conny roof under those 3 windows so can pole them from that, and top floor can be done from inside, they went for the inside and out clean anyway!

Still don't see how you can trad the outside of those top floor windows without hanging out the windows to try to do them properly. Aren't the ones on the front just top openers and how will you clean the round window on the back if its fixed?

Don't knock water fed pole until you try it /emoticons/biggrin.png

Top windows open individually not just the openers, port hole window flips over.

I never knocked WFP, it was the customer that was unhappy with the service.

if you are doing it alone itll tax your strength ,so price high mate. when you think about it itll take more effort to do that one big place than twenty ordinary 10 quid houses , thats how id look at it

Re looking at the job it's actually not that bad and any old school traditional knows that scrimming windows is fast even when done correctly , inside I'd cut down a old squeegee think I could tackle it all in 4-5 hours

Personally, I wish people would quit promoting wfp in the trad section. Some of us are trad because we believe that it's still the best way to clean windows, not because we're wannabe wfp'ers just itching at a chance to be converted. Consider a forum for supercars where you ask a question in the lamborghini section, only to be told by the ferrari owners to get a ferrari cause they're faster...it really can be annoying.

It wouldn't be an easy job but I'd trad that house. I'd get to the attic windows in a simular way to gutter cleaning, a ladder standoff against the Fascia and use my short 1m pole. The windows above the conny would be difficult but they always are and I'd do a simular thing, ladder standoff just below the roof and pole with my zero degree or simply with a scrim attached and clean um the old fashioned way.

It's a misconception on this forum that any difficult to reach window has to be done with a wfp when what people really mean is, it's best to use a pole to reach them. Now, what's on the end of that pole is a matter of preference but if you can reach a window with a wet brush on a pole, you can reach a window with a squeegee on a pole just the same. It's the pole that enables the reach, and poles have been used traditionally for decades.

Price....and I'm assuming those are real french type windows and not just modern upvc inside lookalikes(which would simplify the job), I'd break a job like that down for the customer...£30 for the front, £40 for the rear and I can't see enough of the little extension so that would be priced separately. Now I'm in west mids but down London of course, you can easily add 30%.

Mart.

Nice job, I'd say £100 , wfp I'd charge 70 and be in in a hour /emoticons/wink.png
i like the idea of dual pricing ...gives the customer choice...and as a window cleaner i would want to offer all options...so include wfp...which i dont as of yet because all i have is my tds meter..:whistle:

but if a big enough job came along....i always have to be pushed../emoticons/biggrin.png

good post paulio

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with mark1001 I could trade that very easy , I have worse houses on my books than that, I'd quote round about £90-£100

Im only speakin on behalf of the round i bought over which had a couple of inside cleans, which he charged double because of all the faffin about movin ornaments that slow u down n setting up of ladders inside house. I dont charge double but would probly add on 20% for insides. I would give option to custy to do it same price as outside if they move all ornaments as dont want to break anything:( just a thought;) for your job i would charge around £100, but this may be cheap for london, price of living is higher there.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

That’s the biggest headache I've found when doing inside cleans for sure as there is always a high risk of damaging things if they don't clear the area you need to work in beforehand. I personally don't move stuff about as it is up to the customer to make sure it’s clear or it doesn’t get done.

Yep, same here. I hate doing insides because while at first it appears easier than outside, it never is. I have an house I charge £15 every 8 weeks and every other time I do the insides for £20(that's £35 all in of course) because it still takes me longer to do the insides even though she moves ornaments. There's still obstacles such as maneuvering between a table and a cabinet whilst trying not to catch my bucket on belt just to get to a window, ensuring not to splash, having to squeegee straight onto a cloth to avoid drips etc. And then there's the simply annoying side that because you've cleaned both sides, it is absolutey unacceptable to leave even the slightest blemish on the glass /emoticons/smile.png

I'd much rather be up my ladder throwing water about than in some customers house being watched while trying to make light conversation. I always add on at least a third to the price because I simply would rather not do it.

Mart.

Back