Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Legal stuff

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jordan

Hello everyone the new boy is back hard at work learning everyday

My mistake today was i cleaned 7 houses for the council and then then asked me for my vat registration number AHHH i don't have one oops wasted day free labour it is then

Anyway i'm only making about on average £100 a week but i want to claim self employed now really as i don't want to risk anything what does this mean i will have to start paying tax?i also want to get public liability insurance

so them 2 things at the moment

then soon get a van and proper business insurance then my business name how do i sort out a business name?how much ?what do i do?

JUST WONDERED WITH THE liability insurance im probably going to stick with just ladders so surely as using ladders is illegal if i smash a window i wont be able to do anything?

Thanks more questions to come thanks

x

Hi Jordan

The VAT threshold is £81,000 so if you are turning over less,which I would think you probably are you do not have to register for VAT the council you did the work for might only want to use VAT registered contractors but should have asked you beforehand if that is the case

Regarding the income tax if you were born after April 1948 you have a personal allowance of £10,000 which means the first £10,000 you earn is tax free and as you said you are earning £100 a week this means all the time you are earning under £10,000 you won't be liable for any income tax

I think it's important well it is for me anyway to have public liability insurance to make sure you are covered should anything accidentally happen there are lots of options on the internet and are not to expensive mine is for me only and I'm covered for £1,000,000 it cost about £70 a year but shop around mate

Good luck

Tony

Hi,

If you have done the work then still put in an invoice to the council as they should still pay you if you are not vat regestered anyway. Just make it clear on the invoice VAT % nil N/A

You will need to regester as self employed also explains about a business name too https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

No ladders are not banned but would be wise to look at HSE guidlines and safety devices for the ladders you use. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc613.pdf

I use gleaming insurance myself as includes property being worked opon http://www.gleaminginsurance.co.uk/

my biz insurance is due to expire in October and am gonna renew it with gleaminginsurance - it costs a bit more but covers more then any other insurance companies

I've never had to claim yet but just gives me peace of mind knowing I'm fully covered. More importantly I have also won decent contracts because of the type of cover I have too.

bung in your invoice Jordan, you will get paid. just make it clear theres no VAT in your price

Back