Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Backpack system

Danfire

Hi all, I took on a round from a retiring co-worker last September that I currently clean traditionally. I have an issue with a few windows that involve standing on steepish peg tile bay roofs that are only possible with one hand gripping the cill. I am not looking to go totally water fed pole as I'm currently working out of a Focus estate that I have to share with my wife, the round isn't big enough and I don't have the spare time to take on much more so I can't justify buying and running a van. I thought the cheapest solution might be to buy a backpack system for those houses where the pitches are a bit dodgy. I have a friend with a water fed pole business that said he could give me the water I need so what I need help with is selecting everything I need to get me set up and anything else I haven't considered. Thanks for any advice.

You could always make your own very cheap diy trolley type setup then just need say a 22-25' wfp that would reach most awkward jobs you would come across.

I didn't really fancy trying to cobble something together. Might be a bit lazy but was hoping I could get something off the shelf and ready to go for less than a couple of hundred. I'm sure once I've made the investment it will end up getting used for more than just the odd awkward window. Any suppliers I should be looking at or best avoided?

It usually comes down to getting the backpack from either Gardiner or Window Cleaning Warehouse, WCW costs more for a larger tank. Get at least the Gardiner CLX27 as your pole or if you can afford it an SLX (well worth it)

Buy an adaptor to connect to customers outside tap then you could do gutter jobs faster & take on conservatory roof cleans too.

Thanks RiceRocket, I have been trawling the web and found the WCW site selling their BigBoy backpack with a 18' Phoenix pole for £240. I was going to go for that but will take a look to see what I could get a Gardiner set up for, their backpack seems pretty good value, hopefully someone will put a set together for a sensible price.

Will do cheapncheerful. I hope it proves to be useful but what will probably end up happening is I will end up cleaning all those windows that couldn't be reached previously so the round will take longer but the customers won't want to pay any extra though. This option would never have been viable if I couldn't get the free water, I think it's going to be barely worth it as it is though I hope it works out and if I can avoid some of the more dodgy pitches it should be a winner.

ide get a wcw bk pk the facelift pole is a nce pole to use clamps r ace mch faster in use than gardeners bit more expencive but u make that up in the extra speed of the pole:)

I got the big boy & the facelift pole combi & there great. Had them over a year now & both going strong. The pole is light & the clambs are superb. Well worth the money. Only thing with the backpack is get a trolley for it as its only got a handle on the lid & after a while as you pick it up the lids goes to come off.

Thanks all, I will probably go with the WCW set up, can't see me laying out the extra for the carbon pole, I can't really justify the expense given the size of the round. Just need to decide whether it's worth the extra £20 to get the 22' pole instead of the 18', the smaller one will get to everything I currently need to get at.

Thanks Posh, at the moment I don't have any third floor windows to reach, I suppose the extra outlay could be worth it if I do want to quote for higher stuff in the future. I presume the longer pole would be stiffer when extended to 18' than the shorter pole is at full extension.

Back