Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I need to drill holes in your wall mrs

Smurf

I went to have a look at a gutter clearing job on a wide 2 storey terraced house.

Front as usual is full of sods but doable by ladder. Back entrance is via an overgrow path with a lot of overhanging tree so would be a pain to get the ladders around the back. That's not the worst of it though as the gutters are full of sods above the conservatory and lean-to which covers almost the full length of the wall. To try using a guttervac would be useless due to the gap between the tiles due to the amount of sods as has never been cleared. I would not be able to access the gutter from either side next door either as one has a pitched roof extension right across the back and the other a large shed in the way with a large canopy that is fixed on the house wall.

The only option would be to put a ladder up in a narrow gap between the end of the conservatory and fence. It's just about wide enough to fit a normal ladder in. Now my dilemma is my gutter clearing ladder setup I have has a stabiliser bar on the bottom of the ladder so it won't fit in the gap. Instead I will have to use a standard ladder without an ankalad but still use a microlite standoff on the roof tiles for easy access. I don't have a foot the ladder or want anyone footing the ladder when trying to work poling aprox 7m of gutter at that height. As @cheapncheerful would say wiggling me stick about but I do have this but means drilling 2 holes in their wall as is safer than just using one strap

I’m not going to risk my neck for a poxy £100 thats for sure:rolleyes:

I've also spoken with BPS that supplied my combi ladder and they do not recommend that the stabaliser bar is taken off their ladders as I asked if they did a conversion kit to use it as a standard ladder which they said no they don't.

Im talking to myself again...Oops!:rolleyes:

But at least I know what my little friend on my shoulder is going to say next.

Do you? :confused:

Oi oi smurf. The sky engineer that came round to fit my dish the other day drilled a hole in my wall. I was planning on posting about it but you beat me too it. His setup wasn't as elaborate with ropes/pulleys etc, but he had a webbing strap bolted in my wall. I was tempted to kick off as I think its a **** drilling into someones wall to steady a ladder when there are plenty of other methods available....I had just bought the ankalad myself that very week. I think they stuck a rubber bung in afterwards, so maybe they plan on using it as an anchor point again.

Listen to the voice in your head smurf, you know whats right and wrong.

I turned down another job today as the chap lives in a mid terraced house with no back access. He wanted me to go next door and lift the ladders over a 6 foot fence. I'm getting way to old now to be messing about like that :rolleyes:

This may sound a bit radical but is it feasible to remove a section of the lean to roof to gain access?

Good point & not radical at all :thumbsup:

I already asked and the chap said no as it's lead flashed to the wall and he dosen't want to be messing about with the roof panels. Nor would I offer to take them out and put them back myself if the truth be known.

This may sound a bit radical but is it feasible to remove a section of the lean to roof to gain access?

shame, the only other suggestion i can thing of (& its far from ideal) is a couple of roofing ladders and go up and over from the front, making sure you harness up and tie yourself off, since you probably don't want to be doing a Tom Daily on to that lean to roof!

I'm not that desperate to earn £100 and still would drill holes in their walls anyway but a lot more of them for each ladder set:D

yeh the funny thing sky did here was drill the holes to foot the ladder but wouldnt drill the holes to put the cable through the window frame....had my lad doing that.....

some jobs just aint worth the pain...its all about time and time dont half go fast if you have to faff about..../emoticons/biggrin.png

i had one this week...to cement a hole in the roof tile edging ....i told him i wasnt doing it til the bird had actually left the nest ...some people..

so he said ....i want the plastic edgings fitting to the roof verge.....hmm i not really into that as its a bit hit and miss finding something to attach them too....so i said sandbach roofing do that....oh yes i had a quote off them....and they are dear...

persuaded him i wasnt going to do that....then said i needed something underneath to support the cement as the underlying fire type asbestos tile was missing...and in he pops...and out he pops...he had already ordered them....i get the idea he is going to be :specs:specs:specs at the foot of the ladder and that is not my style...

told him to ring back when the nest was empty.....£50 i quoted....my idea is to fly up shove it in and be gone.....so now just have to work out when he goes out....

had my worst :specs:specs:specs ever this week....i got paid ...and the mum and dad went out....leaving the very nice daughter home alone...i just a bit in :love: and got all excited...but after cleaning the front found her sat at the back very friendly with the next door neighbour...enjoying the sun...right were i had to clean the windows...

.and they didnt move...grrrrr i couldnt really listen to my music and i found it a real pain in the full sun working just above as they chatted away..and as usual..:specs make it all go wrong...and i have never...no never ...dropped my applicator before....i think i had a green scrim as i couldnt stop it leaving marks...just all went wrong...and they sat there chatting....dont bother love hes a plonker....let me chat you up....got her house to do soon...maybe....:love:

Seems you spend more time worring about what ppl think than just getting on with the job.

I'm slow anyway but if ppl start looking/chatting I slow right down and they soon get board and bugger off. If that dosen't work then I ask for a cuppa to get rid off them /emoticons/biggrin.png

cant avoid it all the time ...try as i might....last week i did the full bungalow and they were all sat in the conny and were not going to move...so out comes big norris ...and i flew...then one of them came out and she said i like your way of cleaning can you clean my showroom in nantwich...i had to turn it down as its a good thirty minutes and thirty minutes back....but its nice to be admired.../emoticons/smile.png

cant avoid it all the time ...try as i might....last week i did the full bungalow and they were all sat in the conny and were not going to move...so out comes big norris ...and i flew...then one of them came out and she said i like your way of cleaning can you clean my showroom in nantwich...i had to turn it down as its a good thirty minutes and thirty minutes back....but its nice to be admired.../emoticons/smile.png
This all sounds like the start of a dodgy pr0n film...

Back