Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Always wanting something for nothing

PureClearYork

Don't you just love customers who always want that extra job doing for nothing...... 'Can you just.......' followed by any number of random requests.

One old lady always got a request, never anything big, but never fails to ask for something. Today had three requests.........'Can you just get that fly out of my conservatory?'....'Can you just wipe the inside of the kitchen window'......'Can you just wipe over the security light'

Really want to ditch her, more hassle than its worth, but do all the neighbours around, so a bit difficult. How do you guys handle customers like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have yea ipod plugged in with the volume as high as it will go..!!! works every time if you cant hear them...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm in a bit of a rush today, but I can book you in another time soon...it shouldn't cost more then £___".

Not sure I would book her in to remove a fly, but its good for the bigger 'can you just's'.

Just wait till you get old then the boot will be on the other foot so to speak.:rolleyes:

I think there is more to life than making money out of ppl all the time so if you can't do a good turn once in a while then shame on you./emoticons/biggrin.png

I had a customer who would ask me now and then to clean an internal glass door which I didnt mind but then it became more often than not which I still didnt mind but these are the people that would never think of giving a tip every now and then. Also agree that going the extra mile doesnt do any harm but customers can start to take advantage of that.

I had a customer who would ask me now and then to clean an internal glass door which I didnt mind but then it became more often than not which I still didnt mind but these are the people that would never think of giving a tip every now and then. Also agree that going the extra mile doesnt do any harm but customers can start to take advantage of that.
Exactly. Many of the canyoujusters are not the sort of person you want to really do anything for, let alone something that wasn't agreed beforehand. I don't mind doing the odd extra, but when that person does it on a regular basis, it is clear they are just out for what they can get.

Don't mind doing a good turn for almost any customer, but when it's multiple good turns, every time I go and takes longer than it does to clean her windows, then it gets a bit much. And she's miserable to boot.....never even a thank you, never mind a tip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in the run up to xmas last year had an old bird say to me sweetly,, "would you like a xmas box?" Why yes thats very kind of you "ok, just clean my conservatory windows,inside and out " i was taken aback and guess how much the xmas box was ,,, £5 . not been back since

trust you tolish to add a new word to the windowcleaners dictionary.....canyoujusters :rofl:

i dont mind the odd one or two requests sneaking in but i tend to up the money these days if i get a chance...

one on the phone the other day ....can you just get the ivy off the roof whilst you are up there.......hmmmm

the bloomin branch was an inch thick....i just borrowed a saw off her son cut through the stem....avoiding the mains cable as you do...and said i will get it down when its dead...that is going to be an epic battle which will have to be paid for...i charged just two quid extra...but it does mean she may not be able to remember how much i charge next time....time for a pay rise..every little helps...:rofl:

Don't you just love customers who always want that extra job doing for nothing...... 'Can you just.......' followed by any number of random requests.
One old lady always got a request, never anything big, but never fails to ask for something. Today had three requests.........'Can you just get that fly out of my conservatory?'....'Can you just wipe the inside of the kitchen window'......'Can you just wipe over the security light'

Really want to ditch her, more hassle than its worth, but do all the neighbours around, so a bit difficult. How do you guys handle customers like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If they are fit and tasty then I dont mind doing the extras......one good deed lol

one on the phone the other day ....can you just get the ivy off the roof whilst you are up there.......hmmmm

the bloomin branch was an inch thick....i just borrowed a saw off her son cut through the stem....avoiding the mains cable as you do...and said i will get it down when its dead...that is going to be an epic battle which will have to be paid for...i charged just two quid extra...but it does mean she may not be able to remember how much i charge next time....time for a pay rise..every little helps...:rofl:
Maybe time for another runner cnc. If you are taking ivy down it is best to remove it when it is fresh and alive. It comes down a bit easier in one piece, where as if you wait until its dead, it breaks up when you try and remove. I talk from experience unfortunately.

yeh it is a real pain..especially when its covered in all them white eggy spotty things....yukky ..lucky the custy i used to do it for twice a year got rid of it...

i actually grew it up the front of my old house..and it looked quite nice and quaint....but once it reached the roof it took off so that was the end of that...

dont worry judging by the way she keeps her house i doubt she will ask me to remove it....and if she does ...i am just going to tell her tolish warned me so its gonna cost ya:rofl:

When changing from trad to wfp for tops, two cheeky custys have two small velux windows on their roof, they both asked me to clean them, but never gave me a raise, think they thought since they were allowing me to use my "new machine" and I wasnt climbing ladders,they could take advantage of me, or maybe that is my perception of it:hey:

you cheeky boy koopmaster...of course...if you dont ask you dont get....i had a canyoujuster today...get the bloomin wisteria out of the gutter ...do the kitchen ones inside...do the velux inside...

.and can you put back the gutter as it must have come apart last time when you leaned your ladder on it....somebody taking the peeeee.....er sorry madam i would never lean my ladder up on that gutter as i always get onto your roof from the side....oh ...well whilst you are here...canyoujust,,,:rofl:

I would like to add that despite one or two customers trying to take advantage, I am humbled by the respect & kindness that most customers show towards me. :)

^This is very true @seye. I have some absolutely great customers (95% maybe). They don't get anywhere near the air time that the bad ones do, as its easier to have a moan then to cheer on the good ones. So I'll join you and raise a glass to those good folk out there.

I meet some wonderful ppl and very few bad eggs so to speak.

^This is very true @seye. I have some absolutely great customers (95% maybe). They don't get anywhere near the air time that the bad ones do, as its easier to have a moan then to cheer on the good ones. So I'll join you and raise a glass to those good folk out there.

I would like to add that despite one or two customers trying to take advantage, I am humbled by the respect & kindness that most customers show towards me. /emoticons/smile.png

Back