Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Prices

Dave B

Staff member
Hi guys

Just got back on the scrim circuit after 6 years off..tried something else which didn't work out so came back to what I know.

6 years ago I was working on £20 an hour and don't have a clue what I can realistically charge nowadays.

I am in Stevenage which is close to London.

Any ideas?

great post...oh dear ...many different figures will come your way...i am just coming back after a long break and it is hard to just jump in and price a job and get it right...

.as long as its no lower than a tenner i dont moan...and it has been...one great job reached the dizzy heights of £3 per hour..but it seems to be around £30 ish top wack but it does vary so much..and of course there is a london area to include in any figure...

i have good and bad jobs it goes with the territory but i am hoping wfp may help save some jobs for me...we shall see...wanting a figure and getting it is a different kettle of fish ...most days i just class it all as work to be done and get on with it..

Thanks

I just don't want to price myself out of jobs but wouldn't want to undercut the local guys

especially as I know most of them as we all used to sub a bit of work off the same guy until he sold up

Gross hourly rate is immaterial to me as I like to earn as much as I can when I can during the days I want to work.

I want to earn as much as possible as quick as possible

(Don't we all)

Just jacked in my job to come back to this

some of us are suckers for punishment

I tried to price to an hourly rate but gave up on that some time ago. Now I just decide how much I think it's worth against other properties I do.

Think I will just have to wing it for a while and see what people are prepared to pay

always try and wing it your way though as you could always knock a bit off :eek::eek::eek: if you find it easier to do..

.i have a new formulae now...i price the job and then add an extra bit as i always under estimate the time it takes to do...

That's my problem with initial cleans.

I always seem to give myself too little time

I could still work on my old prices from 6 years ago but I reckon I could charge more nowadays

I did it for 8 years before that and my prices never changed much..about time I started getting what it's worth methinks

ahh and yes initial cleans take way more time...but if you price it too high they may not want you...

.i always used to take a loss to get the job but in future because i am now too busy i give two prices....but of course it does depend on what happened to their last windy and how long ago he did them....mind you most people realised how long it took and gave me extra anyway...

recent jobs i have picked up were not too bad and although some on here disagree i have asked the custy what they used to pay ...they said £6 so i told them£7 and it seems to have stuck...and they are good jobs...

er we wont mention the mansion from hell, all leaded, i did on thursday...never again...

Most 3 beds round here were 8 quid when I was doing them before..gotta be around a tenner now I suppose

I phoned a local windie for a quote and he said tenner without looking

I have learned my leason going it too low a price because every time you go to clean the job it will grind you down. Think about how long it will take you and then add a bit more time to that because as you say it always takes more time than you think particuarly with bigger jobs. Then with the time you have worked out think on how much you would be happy with for that time.

When you get back into it you will them be able to time and price your jobs better.

Best of luck.

i gotta like your style....there is great reluctance up here in the grim north to price increases...

one recent job i got was off a cleaner where i was working ...her windy wanted to put up the price from ...£6.50 to £10 but it was too much for them and of course i stepped in...i just said without seeing it ...i will just put it up 50p...and they are great jobs...a bit further out than i like but i got three and then a forth..

.dropped a boll ock on the forth though in my haste to get more to make it worthwhile going...its a £1 too low and is already really annoying me ...but the bloo dy custy remembered my quote...grrrr...looking to slip that one up eventually...other three great one climb at front....two at back...all together.../emoticons/biggrin.png

i think your tenner price is probally right and to scare you....i still do £5 semis around here:eek:

I like Mansions, Manor Houses, Large Country Houses,..................I do several. One takes two days with WFP to get around.

er...now that is a big house ...shame your in devon...i could have given the £75 house your number...

i like any job that leaves you alone to get stuck in preferably leaves you the money out and doesnt...:specs watch your every move...it is funny how things always play up when i am being watched....

i have a crafty way of working now...i always do the populated rooms if i see them empty....i did one on friday..it was so funny...the guy has his desk in front of the littles squares i have to clean...just two foot away...and staring straight at me..:specs

so he went to get the post...quite a walk to the gate...i shot off and did his office window...

of course ...he was sat in the other office this time....and i had to do that with him there...the best laid plans...next time i will do both windows....

er...now that is a big house ...shame your in devon...i could have given the £75 house your number...
i like any job that leaves you alone to get stuck in preferably leaves you the money out and doesnt...:specs watch your every move...it is funny how things always play up when i am being watched....

i have a crafty way of working now...i always do the populated rooms if i see them empty....i did one on friday..it was so funny...the guy has his desk in front of the littles squares i have to clean...just two foot away...and staring straight at me..:specs

so he went to get the post...quite a walk to the gate...i shot off and did his office window...

of course ...he was sat in the other office this time....and i had to do that with him there...the best laid plans...next time i will do both windows....
I pretend I can't see them and ignore them. This kind of suggests to them that I'm not looking into their rooms.

Back