Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lacquering the phoenix

keir

Today, i have spent 3 hours wet and drying and then lacquering the phoenix.

One tip for anyone thinking of doing this, dont do what i did and think just giving each section a quick rub down then whacking some lacquer on. After a bit the lacquer starts to peel and scratch off and feels rough as rats when extending the pole, like there's grit on the pole. So this aft used 600 grit wet and dry and sanded off all the old knackered lacquer off then put one really nice coat on, along with two new clamps the other week the pole looks and feels brand new again.

But i reckon at the end of the year i will treat my self to a new phoenix, by that time this one will be 2 years old, plus now i know how these poles like to be maintained i wont be so harsh on it, the way i see it one replacement clamp is roughly the same price as a can of lacquer and wet and dry, and if you dont abuse it then swapping clamps is a better way of extending the life of these poles.

There is absolutely nowt wrong with the quality of the carbon, and the clamps are a consumable and bloody worth it for the ease of use of the pole compared to lateral clamps

bloomin heck what have i got myself into with this wfp thing.....sorry to be a pain but i didnt actually watch the vid link you posted the other day and i cant remember the post so can you repost the link for me ....i keep using the keir wipe the top method...although it will work better when i can switch the water off..tap on its way...its all in the wrist...or so they say..

Nah dont worry cheap, its easy this wfp lark just need the right gear to make it easier and like owt seems daunting when its all new.

Here's a link to another vid that shows how i do it a bit better, i rinse a bit longer normally but they were clean. Just kink your pole hose for now cheap otherwise if you try my technique it wont work, also my frames are spotless too

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0071nYQ_0u8[/media]

Also once the vid ends you can see the bay window vid in the bottom corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only pole I've lacquered in my life was me own with ky jelly. Oops! did I say that out loud? /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to do the same with my phoenix pole about every month. Gonna replace it early next year, full carbon this time me thinks...

Wow 3hrs!!!

bloomin heck what have i got myself into with this wfp thing....
Don't worry cnc, my totally unmaintained SLX-22 is fine one year on, just don't drag them through a sandpit etc.

And best not to use your good wfps for gutter clearing as tile grit can knacker them too.

I've found an old wfp is so much easier to use with progutter tools and acme adapter than using a harris type pole clamps when up me ladder.

Wow 3hrs!!!
Don't worry cnc, my totally unmaintained SLX-22 is fine one year on, just don't drag them through a sandpit etc.
Yep granted the slx's are a better pole, (i haven't used mine enough yet) but i reckon if i had treated my phoenix better to begin with i think i wouldn't have to do the maintenance i do, and i tend only to do this every few months.

But........because i had my phoenix waaaaay before the slx i have got addicted to the ease of use of their clamps, and when i do use my slx i'm always glad to back to the phoenix just because the clamps on the slx start to bug me after a bit lol

Both of you guys still on the original clamps?

I thought the transition to lateral clamps would be an issue but once you learn to keep them facing away gutters/roof edges there's no problem for me, maybe it because I got skinny flexible thumbs or don't work at 100mph or something /emoticons/smile.png

Both of you guys still on the original clamps?I thought the transition to lateral clamps would be an issue but once you learn to keep them facing away gutters/roof edges there's no problem for me, maybe it because I got skinny flexible thumbs or don't work at 100mph or something /emoticons/smile.png

Hahaha nope........ I've changed the D and C clamps once and the B and A clamps twice.

Dont get me wrong if i had to use the lateral clamps all the time i would get used to them, funnily enough i have never had a problem with gutters and roof edges its just the levers spinning or just a little bit fiddly.

I think the perfect pole would be an slx with vertical clamps.

Once I start I find I have to go every 10-15 mins. Mind you I suppose it doesn't help when drinking 2 pints of beer in the same amount of time :rolleyes:

im on oraaginal clamps on my facefift number 1 section is worn out nearly not shore if im guna lacker it yet i may just chop off the worn bit ill b geting a china classic next prity mch same pole but a lot cheeper £98 for a 18ft lol so if they last 1/12 years its no bother replacing it i just cant get on using my super max i wana sell it b 4 it gets worn to mch

im on oraaginal clamps on my facefift number 1 section is worn out nearly not shore if im guna lacker it yet i may just chop off the worn bit ill b geting a china classic next prity mch same pole but a lot cheeper £98 for a 18ft lol so if they last 1/12 years its no bother replacing it i just cant get on using my super max i wana sell it b 4 it gets worn to mch
Hi Tench

Is this the same 6 year old SMAX47 you were talking to me about in March? I never did hear back from you about booking it in for the Smart clamp upgrade that we were discussing. Let me know if you still want to proceed with this. You might enjoy the benefits of the upgrade before you sell it /emoticons/wink.png

Latest Posts

Back