Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best ladder position

T

Tony Hall

Hi All,

I know that this is going to sound like a really stupid question but where is the best place to put the ladder when cleaning the windows, I've seen some window cleaners position their ladders above and below the windows. My front living room window has a bay window underneath and my old window cleaner use to hang off the ladder at either side. I want to do it as safe as possible so any tips would be very welcome, thanks guys.

Tony.

It all depends on the window in question really. I generally put my ladder under the window, but preferably with the mitts on the sills. You can clean quite a big window this way without moving the ladder. I don't like going to the side much with a conventional ladder as its too tempting to overreach.

I have one house where I use a standoff, and if it wasn't such a hassle to put on, move about, take off etc, I would use it all the time. With the under the window method you often find yourself holding on to the sill to avoid falling back, so the standoff prevents this by allowing you to have a couple of rounds above the height of the sill.

In this job its rarely perfect conditions, so the key is knowing when to use which method (below, side, above), and which accompanying safety device to minimise the risk.

Hey thanks for the great advice,

I've got a pair of mitts for the ladder as well as a stand off and a Rojac so the ladder doesn't slide backwards, I have this great fear like you said where the ladder will be under the window and I'll lean to far back. I like having three points on the ladder for safety so the stand off would be a really good idea, the only drawback is that the ladder would be top heavy when moving it but if it saves a trip to A & E then its worth the weight pardon the pun./emoticons/smile.png

Thanks again Tolishapurd.

Hi All,
I know that this is going to sound like a really stupid question but where is the best place to put the ladder when cleaning the windows, I've seen some window cleaners position their ladders above and below the windows. My front living room window has a bay window underneath and my old window cleaner use to hang off the ladder at either side. I want to do it as safe as possible so any tips would be very welcome, thanks guys.

Tony.
hi Tony i dont think carrying your ladder any distance with a stand off connected would be a good idea

me being a shortish bear:rolleyes: position my ladder on bottom sill usually with it a bit above sill and no mitts so i can reach top of window and top corners and dont feel like im overreaching

Same here unless it is a particularly tall window as you climb too far up the ladder to reach the top..then I would put ladders on wall above

I can't see as there is a rule about this, it really all depends on the window(s) concerned. I have some very wide upper ones that are ordinary height, but I put my ladder over the top so as I can reach across either side. Some lower bays have flat roofs, some don't. So it's a question of what you are most comfortable with, just making sure that you are safe and secure.

hmmm, my problem is people always put their bloomin plants just where i want to put my ladder..

..no consideration custys../emoticons/biggrin.png

i always put my ladder on the window sill , no mitts. you have to be very aware of the chance of ladder sideways slip with this method , however doing it this way it means you have no problem reaching the tops of the upper windows

I always put on the cill if I can..can always tell a new clean..has 2 marks in the cill that the ladder was covering when you wiped the cills

(Unless you push the ladder away a touch..don't tell mr smurf)

Me is 6'2" also and arms like a monkey..lol

Have very long legs for my height which is why if I get trousers my waist size they are too short so I can lean quite far..not that I lean off my ladder of course

you mean you never put a foot on the cill and held onto the rafters dave...:eek::eek::eek:

me had a hell of a time getting trousers to fit my waist and legs...but me good ole mum bought me a pair off marks and sparks and i went and bought another four pairs as you get what you pay for....

34 waist but 38 jeans..lol

Used to box and live my life around healthy diet etc.

Gradually creeping towards 36 now
clear.png

yeh ...gradually creeping...once you hit thirty....it tends to do that...my healthy eating to day has been two bacon and eggs sessions....three cherry bakewells..well if i get the urge....three raspberry donuts...sainsburys....and finally ...a nice big chinese...and of course i still on the stellas....but i feel ...greeeeaaaat:D

They have a weight limit on ladders you know @cheapncheerful is that why you're changing over to wfp? Myself I like to think I'm just big boned /emoticons/biggrin.png

yeh ...gradually creeping...once you hit thirty....it tends to do that...my healthy eating to day has been two bacon and eggs sessions....three cherry bakewells..well if i get the urge....three raspberry donuts...sainsburys....and finally ...a nice big chinese...and of course i still on the stellas....but i feel ...greeeeaaaat:D

i am a creature of very funny habits....and during the working day dont eat....so i have to catch up at the weekend...thats why i discharge but now charging up nicely...:Dthe hardest thing ...is not doing the countless jobs around here that need doing ..but i must be 100per cent ready for a new working week....hopefully in cooler weather...and yeh ...the rungs do creak a bit...

one firm in the area where i work always places the top tip of the ladder above the upper window ,on the top frame itself or above on the fascia . i can see that this is a very safe method with no stretching ever needed

downside is you need to be carrying around quite big ladders all day long.

Last edited:
Hey guys thank for the advice it all makes sense to me, you read so many horror story's of window cleaners who over reach or stand on a ledge that even a pigeon would think twice about. As long as I use my common sense I think I'll be ok, I often have a laugh with the misses saying that I'm going to have a tee shirt made up.

On the front its going to say on the front "If found this way up please call an ambulance" /emoticons/biggrin.png:D

Back