Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Don't want to under cut other window cleaners

T

Tony Hall

Hi all,

When I do start window cleaning I've read that its a real sin to under cut other window cleaners and to do so it would be very bad for me and business. My question is this if I'm asked to give a quote for window cleaning or gutter cleaning, how do I do it without under cutting a fellow window cleaner.

The town that I'm in has a lot of window cleaners who belong to a church and I don't want any trouble or to get a bad name, don't really want to end up with a horses head in my bed./emoticons/wink.png ( Only kidding all)

Any advice would be brill so thanks guys.

If I'm asked to give a quote then I can't see any issues with that as it's the customers who decides who they want to do the work not the other way round.

On the other hand if you find out how much others are charging and you deliberately go out of your way to undercut other cleaners whilst door knocking then I would imagine in doing so could land you in a bit of grief.

Thank you Smurf I have no intention of under cutting other window cleaners, I just wanted to know how to deal with it should the matter arise in the future./emoticons/wink.png

Thanks mate.

Just like smurf said.

My understanding has always been that undercutting is finding out a competitors price, and then going below that in order to win the job. In most circumstances it just mugs you and the other tradesman off. I purposely go above the price they tell me anyway. /emoticons/wink.png

If I get asked for a quote from someone who has a windy, then I give a genuine quote (bordering on high), and then if I get the job down the line, I can honestly say hand on heart that I got the job as they weren't doing it right....not because of price.

You are selling yourself in a way not on price alone so if ppl like you and you do a good job then customers should remain loyal for years.

Thanks Smurf for your words of wisdom it means a lot that all of you want to help newbies like myself and others. A wise man once told that it takes years to build up a great reputation but only minutes to get a bad one, thank you again Smurf for all your help./emoticons/smile.png

i had a few people come up to me and ask how much i charge and they also tell me theyve already got a window cleaner .pretty much all the time i tell them not to tell me what the other windy is charging and i give them a quote.... 9 times out of 10 the prices are similiar. another thing with undercutting/underpricing is there driving the price down for every1 .months ago i priced a house at £14 the owners turns round and say oh my window cleaner only does it for a fiver .i bet any money this window cleaner will drop this house becos its not worth his time ,but the houseowner is stuck with thinking it should only cost a fiver .

I'm not interested in what others charge I just decide how much I want. Sometimes they tell me that I'm a little more expensive than the current guy but have me anyway.

I don't like quoting if they say that their windie hasn't been around for a bit because we can all get behind from time to time. If they are going to change because the guy has got a bit behind then they will do it to me too.

I normally say give him a couple more weeks then come back to me.

Yeh have done the same re window cleaner not turned in a couple of months, I ask them to give it a bit to see if he is behind in his work. I also say to people that already have a window cleaner to speak to him and give him a chance to rectify what customer is unhappy about if that doesn't make a difference then I will take on job. Also my pet hate is when people ask you to do their windows and says your more than my last window cleaner who i sacked, fortunately that's a rareity.

Sent from my RM-976_1115 using Tapatalk

i dont really have this problem much...as i ask what the other windy charged and despite what others on here say ..most people tell me the truth...or i find out....and i just add a bit on as to be honest ...most windys leave because the price isnt good enough anymore...although..i wont mention the £75 job...:eek:

still got a good 7 new jobs from last weekend that i should have visited this week but sorry too bloomin hot....so they can wait...still not had a break...i got jobs to do on the house before another season comes along...

as arnie says......he'll be back:eek: told you...my money is on november...come on there must be someone near middlewich wants a nice £75 in hand ....please....

yeh me likes the money left no one in...me happy no :specs:specs:specs

I never ask what anyine else is charging..I just quote and see if I get it..most of my work has been from people with no windie from facebook or people collaring me while I am working

You should charge more or at least the same as the old cleaner. I used to match the old price but now I make sure it's higher. They got rid of the old cleaner because they were not happy. Provide a better service and earn more money ...

you get to know what is a proper price after a while in the job- because you get the go ahead on about 75% of the jobs you quote.dont be tempted go back and offer a lower price on the 25% who dont take you up , you will regret it if you do

. be prepared that when you first start you will be getting the jobs that many of the regulars have cast off for 1 reason or another . these will test your patience and eventually you too should cast them off but likely not for a year or two. theyre worth having when youre new and green,to give you street presence ,and to learn on, but not long term worth having

a good idea when you are starting is to find out what the local big boy/with employees/ is charging . i went in about 2 quid lower and got many of his cast offs. i later realized 2 quid less was too low, in hindsight 1 less was enough to secure the dregs of a round

. i didnt undercut him ,just picked up whatever he wasnt bothered with anymore. the local big boy should have a pretty slick act ,setting the standard ,if you can better it , maybe by offering something extra he doesnt, you are on the right track.

Last edited:
Hi all,
When I do start window cleaning I've read that its a real sin to under cut other window cleaners and to do so it would be very bad for me and business. My question is this if I'm asked to give a quote for window cleaning or gutter cleaning, how do I do it without under cutting a fellow window cleaner.

The town that I'm in has a lot of window cleaners who belong to a church and I don't want any trouble or to get a bad name, don't really want to end up with a horses head in my bed./emoticons/wink.png ( Only kidding all)

Any advice would be brill so thanks guys.
Another way I've found very successful is to use Facebook, most areas have these spotted sited, join the one in your area and send them a message I usually say " new window cleaning rounds are being set up in your area " then simply message those that reply

Thats what I have been doing

Set yourself up a business page and every few days go on local swap and sell site etc and post anyone need a wimdow cleaner

Been doing that 2 weeks now and have a couple a day at least

Thanks all for the advice it helps a lot, in fact its going to make my job easier just by following what you've all said./emoticons/wink.png

Back