Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning upvc window frames

WCF

Help Support WCF:

T

Tony Hall

Hello Guys,

Could you please give me some advice on the best way to clean Upvc window and door frames please, what's the best product to use. One of our local window cleaners washes a friends windows but the frames are black with dirt and grease, is there anything I can get hold of that will cut down the cleaning time but maintain a great finish on the frames.

Many thanks guys./emoticons/smile.png

Depends how far you want to go as really as that comes under the relms of upvc restoration work so many would charge extra for this for the added length of time it takes to do a proper job.

Most would just give the frames and cills a quick wipe over. There are still a lot of window cleaners that only clean glass so the price they charge reflects this.

You can get all sorts of brands of upvc cream or solvent cleaners so best just try a few to find out what works best for you. Also what they call magic sponges works quite well too but they don't last very long.

Depends how far you want to go as really as that comes under the relms of upvc restoration work so many would charge extra for this for the added length of time it takes to do a proper job.
This^.

Others may disagree with me but I always say, if it doesn't come of with a few wipes of a microfiber cloth, then I have to charge more for it to get them right. Much of this can be done on the first clean so long as you are charging double.

same as above and above the above

ya can always rub frame quick with ya scrubber and wipe with micro first clean as think this helps windows get less dirty between cleans making less work for you then quick wipe after that

took over houses that had filthy frames and dirt dripped off making v dirty

over period began cleaning so many each time and made cleans easier for me

There are still a lot of window cleaners that only clean glass so the price they charge reflects this
These are not windies..they are cowboys...was always taught it was part of the service..especially when your dirty water will add to the staining on the cills

It's not a "can you just"

Hello Guys,
Could you please give me some advice on the best way to clean Upvc window and door frames please, what's the best product to use. One of our local window cleaners washes a friends windows but the frames are black with dirt and grease, is there anything I can get hold of that will cut down the cleaning time but maintain a great finish on the frames.

Many thanks guys./emoticons/smile.png
I use the same set up of water that I use on my windows for an everyday wash, but in the case of black Upvc, exceptionally dirty, so a special clean, I would add some Bleach.

Thanks guys for the tips it makes starting that little bit easier, when I do the windows I'm going to do the frames as well. It's a shame that we have cowboy window cleaners but I suppose its the same with other trades. Thanks for the advice guys it really helps me out, so glad that I'm a member of this forum...... I don't think I could start the business without you all./emoticons/smile.png

if you wipe the frames each time with a scrim cloth , they come up as good as perfect by clean 3 . cos the scrim has a roughness to it. i dont charge extra for frames , perhaps i should,

iv noticed that people seem to like to hear the "3 cleans will come up good and wiped every time " tagline .

My microfibre cill cloths are quite rough so bring em up a treat ...funnily enough after about 3 cleans
clear.png

I use Ubik2000 myself, you can google it. Mix it 10-1 and apply it from a squirty bottle. Leave it a couple of minutes and then scrub the frame/sills with a soft brush before rinsing with a water soaked cloth. Be prepared to be working for a good couple of hours though if you do the whole house and that's a small to average house....it'll get the upvc nice and clean though.

It seems people on the forum have gone off it a bit because it never gets a mention now but, it was suggested to me by a few people when I needed the same advice.

Mart.

Thanks guys for the tips it makes starting that little bit easier, when I do the windows I'm going to do the frames as well. It's a shame that we have cowboy window cleaners but I suppose its the same with other trades. Thanks for the advice guys it really helps me out, so glad that I'm a member of this forum...... I don't think I could start the business without you all./emoticons/smile.png
Remember that you are asked to clean the windows, and if you take upon yourself to do the frames without extra payment you may well come a cropper later, when you get busy and realise that you have in fact under priced the job, and everyone wants the same.

Glass + Frame= window. If its not our job to clean the frames, whos is it? The exception should be if its discussed beforehand, usually as away to save the customer money- in which case, paying separately for glass, and frames as and when.

There is a difference between wiping round the frames and cills as part of the job which is normal and thoroughly cleaning them which is a chargeable job

Usually wiping them over is enough to keep em clean

and of course...there is the spider question...leave em there and they will re cobweb and make it look like you havent done a proper job...me hates the spiders ..this year been very bad...

i dont always wipe the frames but if i see them dirty...then yes...they are wiped...its quite funny how some windys can leave clean windows and filthy frames...yuk

Had a custy message me today..her mum was looking after the kids for her and told her I didn't clean the kitchen windows and they were filthy.

She messages me from work saying I missed em I have to go back..

I said no and went and saw her after work.

She told her mum to get some glasses as all the dirt was on the inside.

Lovely sparkling glass and frames outside..

K n o b

Glass + Frame= window. If its not our job to clean the frames, whos is it? The exception should be if its discussed beforehand, usually as away to save the customer money- in which case, paying separately for glass, and frames as and when.
What I am saying is that you must allow for this in you quote, otherwise you will be out of pocket. Wiping round the frames actually is a comparatively new thing, as years ago, with wooden frames it was not needed and never done. It's only now that plastic windows are so common. Also, with wooden windows, the sills were not wiped, and I began to get asked to wipe the new plastic windows (which I was loathe to do). However, as more people had plastic windows, and therefore wanted their sills wiped, I complied but charged them for it. Eventually I realised that all sills were to be wiped wherever possible, so made it an automatic thing and adjusted my prices to cover this.

My prices automatically take the frames into account as I see it is part of the job so I allow that time in the price

Most of the time it makes no difference timewise but sometimes you get the really minging ones

What I am saying is that you must allow for this in you quote, otherwise you will be out of pocket. Wiping round the frames actually is a comparatively new thing, as years ago, with wooden frames it was not needed and never done. It's only now that plastic windows are so common. Also, with wooden windows, the sills were not wiped, and I began to get asked to wipe the new plastic windows (which I was loathe to do). However, as more people had plastic windows, and therefore wanted their sills wiped, I complied but charged them for it. Eventually I realised that all sills were to be wiped wherever possible, so made it an automatic thing and adjusted my prices to cover this.
You know, that's a very good point....about the introduction of upvc I mean. When I came back to the trade 18 months ago, I had tried to work out my prices roughly on what I had charged when I was doing the job 20 odd years ago+inflation. So let's say my average price was £1.50, I had worked that out to between 4 and five quid in todays money but of course, it didn't seem to work out like that and now my average is £7. Well, maybe because back then, it was mostly wooden frames and wiping around anything other than glass was just unheard of. Can't believe I've only just sussed that one out lol.

Mart.

I just use soapy water or UPVC cleaner. First clean I always get a sponge rub everything put enough water on the sponge most of the dirt runs off, then just use an old cloth to wipe them down. If they are really bad i use a non scratch pad, I charge double the price sometimes even triple depending how bad they are. If they are even worse then that I would have to charge even more to restore the plastic.

You know, that's a very good point....about the introduction of upvc I mean. When I came back to the trade 18 months ago, I had tried to work out my prices roughly on what I had charged when I was doing the job 20 odd years ago+inflation. So let's say my average price was £1.50, I had worked that out to between 4 and five quid in todays money but of course, it didn't seem to work out like that and now my average is £7. Well, maybe because back then, it was mostly wooden frames and wiping around anything other than glass was just unheard of. Can't believe I've only just sussed that one out lol.
Mart.
Yes, same thing happened with me, a bit of a shock, and this is why prices are so high today.

Latest Posts

Back