Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Painter & decorator...

rjacandwc

Why is it when a Painter and Decorator paints the outside of someone's house they are that inconsiderate to Window Cleaners that speckles of paint end up all over the windows.

Why is it when a Painter and Decorator paints the outside of someone's house they are that inconsiderate to Window Cleaners that speckles of paint end up all over the windows.
It's the same with builders, cement or mortar on the glass, cavity wall installers. It's always the window cleaner who has to clear up. I refused to do it one (off) day and didn't go back, the customer asked me why I hadn't been and when I told him he looked surprised, like he hadn't thought about it, he apologised and I went back. And if you add more on they get funny. One day I was working in a street and a chap (who I knew and whose windows I cleaned) was block paving the front of one of my houses, I also did either side and more. Well, the lady next door who doesn't stand any messing, came out and gave him a right B******ing, so he paid me for the one he was block-paving and either side. Well done that lady.

I turned up to clean one of my houses a couple of months back and a team of painters were swarmed on the house painting the windows. Oh $*** I thought, not only am I down £23 quid for the day as the customer forgot to tell me, but I knew they were going to leave a mess. I was prepping myself to add a tenner or more to the bill for the extra work needed, but it turned out they did a really tidy job. Got lucky I suppose.

This is the third time this has happened to me now. I told the customer that the windows have been cleaned. But, it will take a few more cleans to remove All the paint!. I am not going to scrap every window unless for extra payment. She was fine about it. In the past I would of lost time over that. but, not nowadays. I don't mind going the extra mile. But, paint on every window is OTT!!!... I can feel it on the UPVC frame too... The frames feel rough now... Like sandpaper.... and when I looked closely... Yep!. loadsa white speckles everywhere!!!...

I just reminded myself of this one house I went to once where some geezer was welding his motor bike frame. Have you ever seen what that does to a window lol

yep me got a few spark marked windows....thankfully...my new wfp doesnt care about them marks as my bladey would have died...

yeh the painting thing is a real pain...and if you ignore it....it not so good for your rubber blade....

the first time cleaning my contract work was timed half again just to remove paint off all the windows but no doubt one month i will turn up and cry...:gush:

as i have done painting myself....dont paint on windy days...:eek:

I turned up to clean one of my houses a couple of months back and a team of painters were swarmed on the house painting the windows. Oh $*** I thought, not only am I down £23 quid for the day as the customer forgot to tell me, but I knew they were going to leave a mess. I was prepping myself to add a tenner or more to the bill for the extra work needed, but it turned out they did a really tidy job. Got lucky I suppose.
The same thing happened to me. After the painters had been, I cleaned the windows, and when I went back for the money she asked me what are those marks on the glass, I told her it was what the painters had left (I wasn't going to clean it off), she looked puzzled!! Can you believe some people (a Range Rover and sporty thing), I think she thought that I was going to clean it off. I said are the painters coming back, she said yes, so I said you can tell them when they come back to clean the marks off. The next time the marks were still there, I said if you want me to get the marks of I can but it will cost you a bit more. No, don't bother she said. They don't appreciate the fact that you might spend 15 or 20 minutes on this that your not being paid for, and if that happened on every house we would be in a mess.

I class paint splatter etc on glass as a builders clean so would charge more to try to remove any debris. I would also want to get the property owner to sign a scratch glass waiver to cover my ****.

Here is some info about using a scraper on glass.

Window Cleaning Waiver template.doc

Last edited by a moderator:
I class paint splatter etc on glass as a builders clean so would charge more to try to remove any debris. I would also want to get the property owner to sign a scratch glass waiver to cover my ****.
Here is some info about using a scraper on glass.
Good point.

Latest Posts

Back