Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bit of advice

Diwrnach

Just starting out in window cleaning, already do pressure washing and gutter cleaning, but keep getting asked for windows, so why not?

The only thing is we currently advertise as ladder less as much as possible for gutter cleaning, so would seem a little silly to start climbing ladders to do the windows.

WFP is the obvious way forwards, but currently that is out of our price range though we do fully intend to invest.

This left me scratching my head a bit, but then I came across this video [media]

[/media]
Is this a real viable alternative?

Would love some feedback on this, as on the face of it seems a good solution, but not sure the technique is very good and to me seems like it would leave streaks by just doing downstrokes?

Many thanks.

yeh i agree the possibility of leaving a downward streak i have never done this method and i was wondering what the others on here were going on about with wagtail...now i know...

all methods of window cleaning are not easy to master and take time....nice profile pic and welcome to the forum...

other more knowledgeable members will be a long shortly...i am only just starting wfp and i just want to learn all methods of cleaning windows.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Window cleaning is something I have considered doing for many years, but got into vending for a long time, then kind of fell into pressure washing, and as we do upvc, conservatories, gutters etc it seems silly not to try and get a bit of a window round going as well which will hopefully be a bit more regular as currently gutters and pressure washing seems to come in blocks, we will be really busy for a week or two, then nothing for a couple of weeks etc.

Really hoping to come up with a ladder less way of doing windows (most of the time) to fit in with our ladder less gutter cleaning etc

yep i think wfp is the best bet ...but ..you will need to invest..

and you have a good point indeed the main point of windowcleaning over a lot of other trades...it just keeps coming ..round and round there is always something due to be cleaned and money heading your way...

smurfy will tell you how the phone suddenly bursts into life as it starts raining and gutters overflow...where as windows are always there nice and steady...:)good luck and keep us informed as to what you do...

Funny you say that, we had a lot of rain on Saturday, and I got 3 phone calls that day for gutters lol.

It's a logical step to take as what I call exterior property deep cleaning I would not be able to offer a full service without using a wfp myself.

Could you check this out for me please, seems cheap enough but not sure if its suitable, the write up says it is, but they are trying to sell them so....

Anyway its on ebay, can't post a link, but the search string is Water Fed Pole Backpack and Impressor Glass Fibre Pole (sizes variable)

If I could get some feed back on one of these I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks /emoticons/smile.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0&_nkw=Water Fed Pole Backpack and Impressor Glass Fibre Pole (sizes variable)&_sacat=0&_from=R40

cant help you on what its like but i have a similar one and it does the job....but like anything ...the more you pay the better and easier the kit becomes....mine is only for the windows i cant reach off ladders...bloo dy cars full all the time now...need a van..../emoticons/biggrin.png

this is mine but i bought the full kit inc ro pure supply and pole off the same seller...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-fed-pole-trolley-backpack-variable-speed-with-charger/141094018828?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222003&algo=SIC.FIT&ao=1&asc=24195&meid=8802492358835811303&pid=100005&prg=10285&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=121341037534&rt=nc

i be bugger ed if i can get the back pack straps to work...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you're new Diwrnach so you probably don't know but, you really would be better off taking this to the wfp section and asking there. There's a few of the wfp lads that visit this section but, the majority of them will have more chance of seeing your post over there.

Mart.

You can earn a good wack with wfp method as it has so many uses but like @cheapncheerful has found out already you are very limited just using a backpack/trolley due to the amount of water you can carry about. I myself found out very quickly it's so much more hassle than using a van mount.

If you already own a decent size van then it's easy to put together a diy van mount even buying bargain used bits of kit to get you started.

no not at all...well...more the bloody pipe thats a pain...got caught on the smallest heather plant ever today...:eek:i er...have knocked the backpack over a few times...

today two were on hols so i did half trad...locked gate etc...and then went back later to do them with wfp...and of course...i am still double checking....there was a few but a very few water marks which have no doubt been caused by dirt off the top frame which havent been washed before...that is defo one to watch out for..

but i did a full conny and its a bloomin big one from end to end...and didnt spot a mark ....of course...i just walked around with a dry scrim for my cills..and your magic cloth....

the pain is finding room for everything...i had my lawnmower in today as well as two barrels of water the backpack and the pole...the pole is the biggest pain getting it in and out as mine is quite long..

still the over riding pain of all ...is tangled pipework...grrrr. i love trad...i love wfp ...i love windowcleaning.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I must look into it. I am on a bit of a safety drive. Want to get a foot it device for the ladder and a new standoff, but thought the back pack would be ideal for those windows that you dread or cant get to. I have some windows that are so awkward that it takes me an age to get them done. Also, some that feel quite dangerous. The backpack should speed me up....and I already have a long waterfed pole. I intend to trad most upper windows and only backpack the awkward ones, so shouldnt need toomuch water.

Got two solid days of hedgecutting to do tomorrow and friday which means I will fall further behind with the windows. I am rubbish at saying no.

Just starting out in window cleaning, already do pressure washing and gutter cleaning, but keep getting asked for windows, so why not?
The only thing is we currently advertise as ladder less as much as possible for gutter cleaning, so would seem a little silly to start climbing ladders to do the windows.

WFP is the obvious way forwards, but currently that is out of our price range though we do fully intend to invest.

This left me scratching my head a bit, but then I came across this video [media]

I have always wondered how they use this technique without leaving streaks....would love to inspect the glass.

and yes mr taytay....your eyes are the window to the world....trust them...look look and look again....and it works...

i did one today that always makes me laugh....it starts out off on the garage roof and you walk up to the dormer windows and gripping the facia i walk along from window to window but....as you move away the garage roof disappears and the roof just ends ....but its the same slope as above the garage roof and yet i start to get scared...and the next one...the roof goes smaller and i get really scared...yet its still the same slope...still the same facia...its all in the mind but boy ...it gets me...anyway..they were all done wfp today....easy peasy..

i dont want to offend anyone...but i still feel a wally walking along with it but thats just me..i am used to my boab set up and ladders....

get the one i got mr taytay it works great and its quiet too....but i just want to see if you can figure out how the bloody hell the backpack straps attach....i thought i had it sussed but...nope...i think you can get it for a mere £90ish off ebay...

emergency ..no stella left....now on....old speckled hen...its okay...yummy...

Yes, cnc, we all have those windows we fear....that keep us awake at night. Its daft really, because I could do with dropping about 40 houses as I am constantly behind, so it would make sense to drop all of the ones I dont like doing.

Anyway, the backpack should help me out. Dont suppose you know of a thread on here that covers the subject comprehensively?

Enjoy the stella. As well as my regular barrels I now have 40 bottles of St peters ale that I brewed a few weeks ago.. its a top quality brew. Cant get enough

yeh only the jimmyboots one....homemade backpack...its greeeeat..

the thing is...i am no longer scared of saying i will clean...all your windows...we have loads half way up tiled roofs around here and before i would worry about doing them...no more...

yep..me got too much work really but....everyone wants me at the mo...what about in a rainy november day?

gotta keep some reserve work.../emoticons/biggrin.png

did you see that cheap pole hedge trimmer i got the other day...too scared to start it yet...gonna play in my own garden first...£60...delivered..no more hand clippers...

A backpack sounds like a must.

I already have a petrol hedgetrimmer. I dont need to use it over the next two days as the place I am working at is super posh and they have 3 different Stihl hedgetrimmers.....so smooth to use.

I am sure you will be just as busy in november.....my word, its getting closer. Stingy finger time!

Latest Posts

Back