Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Emergency escape

rugbywolf

I was doing some windows of a new customer who had waited for her new windows before getting me in. Today was the third time, and I noticed on the front bedroom window was a sticker with the words 'emergency escape'. well, she came out to pay me while I was on the front, so I asked her about it. She told me that the window has a catch and it will open outwards to allow escape. These are the most recent new windows I've come across, and I'm wondering if it is a new directive. Has anyone else seen this?

yep common on new builds now part of the ever increasing building regs..but i suppose it has its point..

divvy here was doing some new builds and couldnt fathom why the windows wouldnt open more than a few inches..and was getting annoyed as i would have to get my big ladders out...till a helpful neighbour showed me the hidden switch which allows them to open fully ...kinda child proof...well until the kids see the parents do it....:eek:

yep common on new builds now part of the ever increasing building regs..but i suppose it has its point..
divvy here was doing some new builds and couldnt fathom why the windows wouldnt open more than a few inches..and was getting annoyed as i would have to get my big ladders out...till a helpful neighbour showed me the hidden switch which allows them to open fully ...kinda child proof...well until the kids see the parents do it....:eek:
I think they put the clips in so you can push the window out to do the outside. I have one house with two dormer windows that I have to do from the inside, it's very weird standing one side and cleaning the other.

If my memory serves me right going back to the days when all windows had wooden frames, all frames were painted white but the emergency window was painted red.

Sent from my RM-976_1115 using Tapatalk

If my memory serves me right going back to the days when all windows had wooden frames, all frames were painted white but the emergency window was painted red.Sent from my RM-976_1115 using Tapatalk
I didn't know that.

I didn't know that.
yes probably the council up here made it mandatory as health and safety in the 70s was learn by others mistakes and use your common sense I presume.

Back