Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Grrrr when will i learn

K

kahoona

Okay I know this nothing to with window cleaning, but as my round accounts for about 10 days work in the other 10 day working days of the month I trade the financial markets, mainly currencies a couple of indexes and a commodities such as S&P500, FTSE, crude oil, gold, silver etc.

An on going theme with my trading is exiting positions too early, last week I shorted the New Zealand doller against the Japanese Yen. The little triangles on the chart below show where I got in and exited for a tiny profit, then typically the pair based out big time, currently if i was still in this trade that would equal 10 days window cleaning!

never mind on to the next trade.

View attachment 2796

It's a mugs game playing the markets unless you can afford to take a hit bigtime which happens more often than not./emoticons/biggrin.png

I'm in my first year of dabbling in the stock market. I've won some, and lost some...so I'm still about even. But I am learning a lot. Currently looking for a good time to buy into Lloyds.

I would not say its a mugs game Smurf, but equally there are plenty of easy ways to lose alot of money if you don't know what your doing. There are a ton of scammers out there waiting to sell their get rich quick strategies or trading courses for beating the markets, and sadly many ill informed punters part with thousands £'s in the hope they will become the next Warren Buffet.

Then you have the market and price manipulations by the institutional players, inter-banks and governments to contend with, leary territory to play around in if you don't know what your doing.

Whilst I dont wish to crow I have been trading for some 12 years and have picked up a thing or two in that time, which has allowed me to grow my account by average 12% for the last 5 years. not stella, but my risk profil is very conservative, and 12%pa still beats the major indices and is far better than any mainstream investment vehicles eg isa's.

So I would say the markets are not easy money, in fact probably the farthest from it, but a great challenge and rewarding if your willing to be sensible and persevere.

I would not say its a mugs game Smurf, but equally there are plenty of easy ways to lose alot of money if you don't know what your doing. There are a ton of scammers out there waiting to sell their get rich quick strategies or trading courses for beating the markets, and sadly many ill informed punters part with thousands £'s in the hope they will become the next Warren Buffet.
Then you have the market and price manipulations by the institutional players, inter-banks and governments to contend with, leary territory to play around in if you don't know what your doing.

Whilst I dont wish to crow I have been trading for some 12 years and have picked up a thing or two in that time, which has allowed me to grow my account by average 12% for the last 5 years. not stella, but my risk profil is very conservative, and 12%pa still beats the major indices and is far better than any mainstream investment vehicles eg isa's.

So I would say the markets are not easy money, in fact probably the farthest from it, but a great challenge and rewarding if your willing to be sensible and persevere.
Any tips appreciated mate.:thumbsup:

Tolish if your serious about making money in the markets, the first thing you should do is learn and understand risk management (in the context of trading financial markets). Every time you execute a trade (buy some shares for example) you are exposing your money to high risk of loss. By learning to manage losses correctly you will keep your equity (money) longer, giving you better chance to coming up with an edge over the markets that will allow you to extract constant profits. If you lose all your dosh before you start making money your donald ducked!

Now a paradox, don't trust anything you read on the web! including what I have to say. Do your own research, keep things simple. If a company is making profits and its in a market thats is in demand and growing, it has a business or products that are easy to understand, does not have significant debt and is a reasonalbley sizable and stable business in say the FTSE 250, (no penny stockes please), chances are it will increase in value over time.

A warning though!

The equity markets (shares) have been very bullish (going up) for some time now, this is mainly due to EQ from the major global powers, US federal reserve, bank of england. ecb and bank of japan et al. These stimulus programs will have to stop or at least reduce significantly and when they do (general talk is saying Oct), the markets will most likely take a big hit & anyone holding shares will most likely feel their sphincter tighten, as prices go down! You could of course make money when this happens (& it will) by shorting the markets, but lets not get ahead of ourselves,,,,

learn risk management and money management first.

hint Google "stop loss" & "money management percent risk"

Thanks mate.:thumbsup: You're right about the market manip and not listening to anyone. I learnt that the hard way already.

nice post kahoona..i always wanted dragons den to allow private investors to join the fun...if you like what you see ...irrespective of the dragons advice...and enough viewers came on board...the money could be raised and shares issued in return...the dragons dont always get it right ...make it much more fun...

i love ..wall street...yet to see the sequel.../emoticons/smile.png

nice post kahoona..i always wanted dragons den to allow private investors to join the fun...if you like what you see ...irrespective of the dragons advice...and enough viewers came on board...the money could be raised and shares issued in return...the dragons dont always get it right ...make it much more fun...
i love ..wall street...yet to see the sequel.../emoticons/smile.png
Me and my wife call my dad Jim the dragon, as he gave me the pennies to set up the business and he still hasnt had 1% of the business yet, waiting for my first tax return then see whats left, he's the best:thumbsup:.

I'm in my first year of dabbling in the stock market. I've won some, and lost some...so I'm still about even. But I am learning a lot. Currently looking for a good time to buy into Lloyds.
I have been buying lloyds shares since the crash Tolish.....even got a batch load at 30 odd pence. They are still a must buy at their current value...72 pence. Perfect share to provide a dividend stream if you buy in bulk.They will announce their first dividend since the crash later this year....their value will soar. Just need the current tense political situation around the world to calm down.

so you two have shares in tax payers money?how does that work......i knew i should have bought into the post office...well they charge you enough...in my day ...a letter was a letter was a letter....:rofl:

You're a dark horse taytay. I had a load at around 74 last year and managed to sell them via a stop loss at around 83p, nice little profit for a noob like me. Just waiting for a re entry point though.

Look what you done though, you woke grandpa cnc up.:rolleyes:

You're a dark horse taytay. I had a load at around 74 last year and managed to sell them via a stop loss at around 83p, nice little profit for a noob like me. Just waiting for a re entry point though.
Look what you done though, you woke grandpa cnc up.:rolleyes:

I dont just look at shares for the chance to make a quick buck. I prefer to look at the long term. Since the crash, I have brought a lot of Lloyds and RBS shares. They are very nicely in profit with some of my Lloyds shares being twice their value. I also have Inchcape shares that are triple the price i paid. But I am looking for a good dividend income so buy shares in companies that pay a good divi, then simply reinvest the divi. This is going to be the lady wifes early retirement fund (ie...the total value of the divis each year). On the subject of Lloyds....I think the price at the moment is a great entry point. It will increase later in the year when they finally announce their first divi....you can cash in then or stay on the boat to watch the share value and the dividend payments rise. The only real risk is things going tits up worldwide...wars, fuel shortages etc. But if things really went tits up in the world then how safe would your regular savings be anyway.

mrtaytay are you trading shares through an isa? or a normal share trading account? only reason i ask is there are tax advantages to using an isa, e.g. no cgt on your profits.

I have a trading account Kahoona. The father in law keeps telling me I should be using an isa to trade, so I will have to look at that. Having said that, all my dividends are automatically reinvested....that would exempt them from tax...wouldnt it?

Sorry for the minimal and slow replies chaps. I can normally talk about this stuff allday, but all my internet searching and forums have been from my phone... My computers ill at the moment. We all know why. :rolleyes:/emoticons/smile.png

worth checking out an ISA trading account, you will not be liable for any tax on the profits made from capital gains, (share price increase). Most of them have competitive commissions too, just look out for any admin fees. I use Barclays and they charge £18 pa.

The other option is to use a spread betting account, again tax free profits currently, but you then have the double edge sword of trading on margin, but at least its easier to short sell via a SB account.

no worries Tolish, we're not going anywhere mate and always good to chat with like minded peeps, even if this isn't exactly window cleaning related.

Maybe Gav could give us a sub forum called "other ways to make money" /emoticons/wink.png

Latest Posts

Back