Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moss removal

rshandyman

Hi. Do you know if I can use wfp to clean moss off the roofs? If no what is the best way of doing this as part of my service?

i wouldnt personally.....i used an extending pole with a bit of plastic on it and scraped away....there has been a recent post on here about that job..its better if its after a long dry spell...and it can be quite tough to scrape it off....but great fun to send it tumbling down the roof...

Could tape a good quality car scraper on a pole? Not tried scraping moss of, but I have a pole with car scraper taped on, for scraping off seagull mess that covers a shop sign that I clean.

great idea ....if i get another i will get the duct tape out....it does sound as though it will work ..i have only done a few mind you...but ...dont push the tiles up whilst scrubbing as some dont want to come back down....:eek:

Climb on the roof with a stiff broom and a rope to tie to the chimney:whistle:

Not me onest guv

One man bands don't answer to hse like that

I would say it was safe if correct gear

I have proper harness and climbing gear so why couldn't I use it

yeh me need my man pants on to go on the roof....i gotta take an aerial down before winter...one fine nice non windy day i will sit astride the ridge and shuffle along...with hacksaw in hand....and a small bucket of cement to patch things up...shortly..../emoticons/biggrin.png

Probably better than my way of just getting up there and walking about

grew up working on and off with mums roofer boyfriend..dodgy lot they are

Did they sing "there's somebody on the floor...there's somebody on the floor"

All joking aside you gotta be 100% safe and confident doing that sort of job.

Confidence is half the battle

You can be safe but if you are bricking it you will make mistakes

i always tell myself ...well i have seen others just walking about up here.....does help...i get annoyed..if they can do it so can i....but...i stll brick it a bit...but if i stay up long enough...you get used to it...but i am ever so thankful to see the ladder come down...and boy...a slight breeze on the ground is a bloomin hurricane up there...

You can use a wfp to clear moss off roofs tiles as I often do (single storey mainly) as you can either fit a really stiff brush on the wfp pole or I've even found progutter tools handy for the task. Just have to remember if doing it by ladders then make sure you are using ladder safety devices so the ladder doesn't slip backwards or sideways.

Hi. Do you know if I can use wfp to clean moss off the roofs? If no what is the best way of doing this as part of my service?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can You tell which gardiner brush is the best for that job which I can attach to wfp and also another gardiner brush for cleaning the fascias(into corners)- just below gutters if you know what I mean...

Any stiff brush with an euro thread would do or you can also use a brush with an acme thread if you stick one of these on a spare plastic angle adapter. http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/the-reach-around-dual-tool-gooseneck-adaptor.html

You could also adapt a wide wire brush to fit on a wfp too http://www.wire-brush.co.uk/wirebrushstore/cat_280096-Wire-Brooms-Scrubs.html

I've found for fascias etc a stiff radius sill brush fitted with wide fan jets handy to get into awkward bits. http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/The-Super-Lite--Radius-Sill-Brush-Flat-Trim-Stiff-Bristles--Red--BRUSH_SLSILL_DTSTIFF.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back