Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wiring problem

SPCleaning

Yesterday my pump cut out and I returned to the van but couldn't find a problem. By chance I moved the wiring that connects the controller to the pump and the pump started again.

I thought it must be a loose connection.

I get through the day by giving the wiring a poke every time the pump cut out. When I got home I ran the pump and had a fiddle with the wiring to see if I needed new connecters. I noticed that the blue wire was pretty hot, as was the bullet connecter. I thought, loose connecter would get hot and shut everything down.

Today I bought new connecters intending to replace them all. When I stripped the blue wire back, the copper has turned black. It's black all the way back to the controller.

I'm not sure what to do. Is it safe to connect using this discoloured wire? Is the controller knackered? I think I could have been close to a fire.

Yesterday my pump cut out and I returned to the van but couldn't find a problem. By chance I moved the wiring that connects the controller to the pump and the pump started again.
I thought it must be a loose connection.

I get through the day by giving the wiring a poke every time the pump cut out. When I got home I ran the pump and had a fiddle with the wiring to see if I needed new connecters. I noticed that the blue wire was pretty hot, as was the bullet connecter. I thought, loose connecter would get hot and shut everything down.

Today I bought new connecters intending to replace them all. When I stripped the blue wire back, the copper has turned black. It's black all the way back to the controller.

I'm not sure what to do. Is it safe to connect using this discoloured wire? Is the controller knackered? I think I could have been close to a fire.

I would replace the length of wire. If the replacement wire gets hot then there is an issue.

I would replace the length of wire. If the replacement wire gets hot then there is an issue.
I would need get a soldering iron not something I have any experience in.

Think I might need a new controller. /emoticons/sad.png

Not having a good month.

just try cleaning it up with wire wool or matchbox first sounds like a dodgy connection has caused it to over heat....and make sure the new connectors connect good....its worth a try.../emoticons/smile.png

my mums shower was like that...but no complaints so far..since i changed the switch and cleaned it up..

I would need get a soldering iron not something I have any experience in.
Think I might need a new controller. /emoticons/sad.png

Not having a good month.
Pity. The Varistream controllers use a screw terminal to connect the wires so it would be easy to do that.

I will buy a new controller.

The last one I've had for 3 years and have moved it four or five times. I think the pulling the bullet connectors apart so many times have worn them and made them slightly slack which could have caused some arcing (I think) thus heating up the wires.

I can't wait for a controller to be delivered as I've lost too many working days over the last two weeks due to van problems, so will have to drive and collect one from Varitec.

I will get the basic Spring Ltd version as that's what I had before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back