Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Ladders- slide and spike

windowsurfer

After reading about safety feet, ladder mats, spikes, titan supagip feet on ladders, I think we need some clever clog engineer to make a ladder foot system that is quick and easy to change feet for different ground conditions.

I have long drives to and from work, a lot of time, too much time to think of what ladders to buy, safety feet or not, spikes?, does my head in, as need a set of ladders that I can trust. I know I want ladders with "D" rungs, as the square rungs are nasty on my feet.

I like the idea of safety feet, but as already said, rubber slips in wet? We need a system on the side of the ladder at the feet, that if spikes were a better choice, you could slide them down, (by pass safety feet or work in conjunction with safety feet) and locate securely and retract easily when safety feet,might be a better option for another surface, slide and spike- dont know how to make it, but I get a cut of the profits and own 50% of the business of whoever makes anything like it:thumbsup:

quick down to dragons den....yeh we all think that a standard ladder should come with much much better safety equip by law...wheres the bloody eu when you need it....ladders could be better full stop....and easy to do too...:thumbsup:

i wouldnt mind but....if they brought it out...we would all buy it so a ready made market...ladders have been the same for far too long....get your bloody act together manufactures....

• Like 2
Guest boarcity

Photo-0017.jpg.203106f5f2f717a996eb9a86a14898ce.jpg spikes with a broad chisel tip ,fitted permanent is the answer in my opinion. iv not ever damaged a surface with spikes and have even used them inside a country mansion on carpeted stairs

i did put a cloth down first just in case i had dirt on the spikes

mine are made of mild steel but a better solution would be for them to be made out of hardened steel so keeping the edge sharper for longer

i notice on Ebay somebod is now selling spikes / foto above/ made from 5 mm steel strip , nice and strong looking but with an unusual angle to the tip that im not sure is a good idea .

Guest boarcity

thing is ,i only got paranoid about ladder feet spikes and ladder angle AFTER i had a fall. id think most people would be the same.

i stress to my workers the importance of ladder angle, ladder safety and explain it very clearly with reminders . one previous employee of mine would disobey me on this [angle] and i told him straight if he kept putting up at the wrong angle he would be dismissed instantly. shortly after my talk he started turning in late and within a fortnight he had gone

As I have said before I think most of us only look at the way we do things once we have had a fall or close call.

Seems to focus the mind a bit after the first time

Only an idiot wouldn't listen once you point it out how dodgy it is boar

Especially when talking from experience

Guest boarcity

it would be excellent if there was a "real life experience"training course available for anybody who was going to be doing ladderwork . time could be spent on slightly slippy ground / incorrect ladder angles with demo of a ladder sliding - a sack of spuds strapped to the ladder top to simulate a person

on the final afternoon , every attendee has to do a full drop fall {onto 3 inch thick rubber matting] where the ladder is tugged out from under you . perhaps a bungee chord is attached to a shoulder harness so you cant hit the ground head first

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.