Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Calibration of controller

SPCleaning

I fitted a new controller yesterday and having followed the instructions, it works just as it should.

But I realised that I don't really understand what calibrating is or why we need to do it. How does setting the calibration assist with controlling the pump?

Just curious if anyone who does understand would like to explain.

My understanding is calibration is required so the pressure in the system/hose etc doesn't trigger off false dead end stops on the controller.

I fitted a new controller yesterday and having followed the instructions, it works just as it should.
But I realised that I don't really understand what calibrating is or why we need to do it. How does setting the calibration assist with controlling the pump?

Just curious if anyone who does understand would like to explain.
Riding on the back of Smurf's post, here is a bit more detail.

A 'proper' controller has 2 functions.

The first is to reduce the amount of water flow through the brush head. This is achieved by reducing the speed that the pump motor runs at; the slower the motor speed the greater the reduction in pumping rate.

The second is cutoff pressure. Our main pumps will pump water to around 100 psi. When you switch your flow off at the tap the pump continues to run but will cut out at 100psi if the pumps mechanical pressure switch is connected and functioning properly. An upmarket controller allows you to reduce the pressure that the motor will pump to.

This is a good thing as we have found that in 99% of our work, we never need more than 60psi to supply water to the brush head. The higher the water pressure cutoff pressure is the more battery power is used to reach that pressure, and, as the pressure builds, it requires more and more current to reach that cutoff.

So if we take our example of not needing more than 60psi, we are saving battery current by not over pressuring the system to 100psi. It also reduces wear and tear on hoses and couplings.

So calibrating a controller is a fancy way of describing where the dead end or switch off pressure is required. Once that pressure is reached (determined by the current drawn by the pump), the controller will switch the pump off.

Spring controllers do have an auto setup so the system can set it for you. We use Varistreams so we have to set that pressure cutoff manually.

Latest Posts

Back