Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Exploring new ideas/commercial

andy1992

Going to spell this out. Work for the man Mon fri 9-5 and do window cleaning part time. 3 Saturday's a month. Do you guys think there is any room for fitting stuff in ? Can u do commercial stuff at silly o'clock if getting paid by bank transfer after invoicing ?apart from the Sat which I don't work. Need some play time

I don't think you're going to achieve much doing just 3 Saturdays on glass a month bud.

21 years old ,secure healthy monthly salary, and a business which acts like a savings account because I don't live off the profits = not achieving much lol

I was referring to the actual amount of hours you could physical take on and work each day just doing 3 Saturdays a month bud. Yes you could do silly o'clock contract work but after working a full week would you really want too?

Years ago I use to do carpet cleaning part time and had contracts for local clubs & restaurants and start at silly o'clock sunday mornings. Now that was ok as the work was indoors so I never had to cancel a job due to bad weather or was restricted to daylight working hours. I also did carpet cleaning during the week as at the time I was working full time on permanent nights for the man as you put it.

Needs must and all that /emoticons/biggrin.png

Fair one smurf.uv answered practically every query I've had on this forum and helped me get started. Didn't mean to sound like a d*ck, us part timers just get a bit defensive. So can you basically do contract work whenever you like then?

No probs...

Regarding hours they are subject to the clients say so as most will inform you of the time slot the work can be done especially if it's a retail contract. Also inside shopping centres can be very restrictive the times you are aloud to do the work.

There are also nationals about that sub work out that have large supermarket chains across the country which are done at silly o'clock too.

It sounds like you're already on a good thing mate, why complicate matters by making things to rigid and formal. Just condense the round, and add more, that's what I would do.

Going to spell this out. Work for the man Mon fri 9-5 and do window cleaning part time. 3 Saturday's a month. Do you guys think there is any room for fitting stuff in ? Can u do commercial stuff at silly o'clock if getting paid by bank transfer after invoicing ?apart from the Sat which I don't work. Need some play time

It is possible to clean some commercial jobs on a Sunday as well as Saturday. Companies still use cheques so you can ask them to post payment to you.

If you have some flexibility with your contracted hours at your regular job, it is possible to do a job in the morning (8-9am) and evening (4-5pm), you also have your lunch breaks each day to utilise.

Before I made the plunge to get back into window cleaning, I did some of these things, to see if I really wanted to do it for a living. I also used Bank Holidays, and paid holidays, sick leave!!! (I did get caught out with this one, as I am never really sick, and I had to pay my old employer back some money, I was on salary so only fair) working this way did help me to make the decision, and I did earn an extra £1,000 a month. I was window cleaning trad during this period, so the change over to wfp was an obvious choice because of the extra earning potential.

If you’re in a higher paying job, why are you window cleaning? If your not why aren’t you window cleaning full time?

Good luck

It's not higher paying than what you can make at this game however I am not making the switch until get my mortgage approved and best way for that is to be in secure employment. Would need 2 years books other way. Ryt so if I could do commercial stuff on sundays that would be good. Can you just canvass for commercial same as residential? Walk into an industrial estate?

It is possible to clean some commercial jobs on a Sunday as well as Saturday. Companies still use cheques so you can ask them to post payment to you.

If you have some flexibility with your contracted hours at your regular job, it is possible to do a job in the morning (8-9am) and evening (4-5pm), you also have your lunch breaks each day to utilise.

Before I made the plunge to get back into window cleaning, I did some of these things, to see if I really wanted to do it for a living. I also used Bank Holidays, and paid holidays, sick leave!!! (I did get caught out with this one, as I am never really sick, and I had to pay my old employer back some money, I was on salary so only fair) working this way did help me to make the decision, and I did earn an extra £1,000 a month. I was window cleaning trad during this period, so the change over to wfp was an obvious choice because of the extra earning potential.

If you’re in a higher paying job, why are you window cleaning? If your not why aren’t you window cleaning full time?

Good luck
guaranteed holidays,

guaranteed wages at the end of month springs to mind

It's not higher paying than what you can make at this game however I am not making the switch until get my mortgage approved and best way for that is to be in secure employment. Would need 2 years books other way. Ryt so if I could do commercial stuff on sundays that would be good. Can you just canvass for commercial same as residential? Walk into an industrial estate?

Good answer, banks and bankers, what more can you say. I think they take your gross wage if in employment, and then work out what mortgage you can have, they do it different if you are self employed, they look at the net profit. Yet all businesses start out insolvent, and doesn’t ‘living cost’

Yes you can just walk into an industrial estate; they might even approach you in some instances if they see you about.

guaranteed holidays,guaranteed wages at the end of month springs to mind

I think your right Duncs; security is what keeps people changed to a job

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh gotta say getting a mortgage is defo dodgy as a windowcleaner...like you say though...once you have it..../emoticons/biggrin.png

yeh the ones with the money are defo a load of bankers....

Back