Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buckets - pros and cons

B

boarcity

View attachment 2834 the unger 18 litre, pros = light to carry ,well balanced

cons= crack happy [ if you drop it] , handle too thin ,digs in your hand, water slops out as you drive along

Last edited:
Just got my new tools delivered including unger bucket..will let you know what I think when I get home

Standoff and clamps came too so just waiting on ladder and ankalad now

I just use a painters roller bucket, which is pretty much the same, excepta third of the price. My two are still going strong, but when they give up the ghost I'm after an ettore yellow 10l with lid, so if you've got any input on that @boarcity I'm all ears.

I only use the buckets for van storage, and really dirty first cleans, otherwise I just use a bottle- quicker, much kinder on the back, and very efficient on the soap.

I just use a painters roller bucket, which is pretty much the same, excepta third of the price.
Scuttle buckets they are called, I have a few of them less than £4 including VAT took me a while to get used to the handle but now dont even notice. I did use Ettore blue buckets I like the hanle on them but since my supplier stopped stocking them and only stock scuttles and large window cleaning buckets I went for the scuttle . Dont know how any one can carry around those large buckets.

somewhere i saw a windie using a straight sided round bucket , as i drove in Colchester i saw it. im just thinking that if i had a round bucket in my van instead of a rectangle shape ,water wont spill very easily when driving along. i must try this experiment out .

do you? how many times a day do you put the lid on?

i have 2 of those unger 18lt as in the first photo . they sit inside a deep plastic box in my van to catch any spills as i drive along. i fill em up before setting off and they never leave my van

and BOY do those buckets spill! i must lose a third before i even arrive at the first job

I have a black 1 pound special normal bucket from asda that I can 3 quarters fill and put in my astra footwell with no spillage

Just not usefull with the shape of windie tools

I just use a wide bucket from poundland. They are cheap as chips, look good (black bucket with red handle) and are pretty sturdy. I always fit an iceland plastic shopping bag over the top when travelling....it fits snugly and restricts the spills big style.

I have seen a couple of windies who just use sprayers. I might try this in the winter but imagine it might be problematic in really hot weather when you have to apply lots of water to big windows so that it doesnt dry out too quickly.

i even half seriously thought of making a van frame with pivots inside to hold the bucket so it remains at a constant level at all times , like a compass or a giroscope. but probably too complicated to make

Great trolley that Smurf...but £100+...ouch :eek:.

I bought a fishing trolley off e-bay (£25) and drilled and bolted two homemade brackets to the trolley frame. The lugs on the bucket handle fit into the slots on the homemade brackets and work exactly the same way as the Sorbo trolley.

My fishing trolley is adjustable too, as I have the Unger (Big Beasty) 28ltr bucket...but it also works with smaller buckets....something that the Sorbo trolley CAN'T do.

Bloody heavy all-day every-day, if too full.... that's why I made a trolley......good strong bucket though.

Even around half full there's plenty of room in there and found no water slosh-out when you keep applicator in water when driving.

If making a trolley I'd recommend getting the smaller size bucket, as with the big bucket I find it can be a little awkward getting through doors in some buildings.

i use 28l bad boy unger and luv it

you can even use it to help prevent ladder slip just dont step in it :rolleyes:

if ya buy a few 5l bottle water you can carry water in them instead of slopping or use its lid

I stood in a bucket before..was in blockbusters doing the inside..stepped down into the bucket and knocked water all over the floor..thought they would moan but as the boss is mates with my wife he just rolled around laughing.

Fairy starts to burn the skin if you wear the wet trainer for a couple of hours..ouch

Back