Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sky dishes

mrtaytay

I have bumped a few sky dishes over the past few years with my ladder. I bashed one this morning and spent all day feeling guilty about it. Normally when I bump into one I have a sneaky look through the window to see if the custy is still getting a reception. Todays custies were out and I kept imagining them coming back to find that sky wouldnt work. I was tempted to go round to ask them if they were still getting a signal, but in the end didnt. I just thought that if I turned up and told them that I had knocked their satellite dish, then,even if it was fine now, any future problem may be blamed on me.

What do other people do when they bash a dish with their pole or ladder?....just carry on and forget about it?. A couple of years ago I did have a customer blame me for loss of sky reception even though I was sure my ladder hadn't touched the dish.

I would only say anything if I happen to break whatever it is off the end. Now I remember the LNB then it will be truly knackered./emoticons/biggrin.png

Yep it seems sat installers don't go above ground floor now but they still drill holes in ppls walls /emoticons/biggrin.png

Luckily everything was still intact. Cant believe how low this sky dish was.....just above the patio doors

That is to anchor the ladder so they can use their vertical life line & harness. Bless em:D

My mate subcontracts for sky..get caught not harnessed and bolted to the wall and it's the job centre for you

Yep it seems sat installers don't go above ground floor now but they still drill holes in ppls walls /emoticons/biggrin.png
My mate has told me they are doing that now....dont they need to seek the houseowners permission before they start drilling.

No not really as is part of the instillation cost. If they don't agree they don't get a dish fitted /emoticons/biggrin.png

My mate has told me they are doing that now....dont they need to seek the houseowners permission before they start drilling.

er i would never be as clumsy as to hit a sky dish...honest...:devil: well stupid places they put em..so far so good ..though..i did have one come out to me as he thought i had ...when i hadnt...still thats life...

great post mr taytay....so go on...what else have we damaged:rolleyes:...and got away with..

er i owned up to the two broken roof tiles on a new build clean in a previous post so thats off my list...

the antique chair i stood on in lynns...with the kid in bed wondering what the ripping sound was..er ..it was all a dream...**** antique chairs...

okay the antique plate in lynns house...well it was only a little broke and it adds to the antiquey bit...and anyway it was probably the kids...

the triangular house ornament which for some bizarre reason i thought i could stand on at the pilots house...er...you couldnt stand on it...but i think it was the very cold winter we had ..frost breaks pot things...

okay i broke a few roof tiles in my time...is this some sort of confessional box....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've knocked a few sky dishes, but I tend to just carry on like nothing happened. Not sure how sensitive they are to knocks anyway, but its not like you've damaged their boiler in the middle of winter or something so I wouldnt worry too much. I've broken one roof tile since starting as it wasn't seated properly, and with all the rain I must admit that that has had me worried, but I plan on finding a day they are out, and then fixing it with some silicone which should sort it.

ahh just like me tolish...silicon in hand....as stated previously...roof tiles around velux are defo dodgy...:rolleyes:

i advertise for roofing too and once i had a satellite company ring me up to repair the damage their installers had done...i couldnt believe one ..eight tiles gone...but i couldnt wait for the money so i told them....carry some silicon..never heard from them since...bloody elephants some people

ahh just like me tolish...silicon in hand....as stated previously...roof tiles around velux are defo dodgy...:rolleyes:
Yep that's where this one was mate, right on the side of a velux. The problem is its a cut one, otherwise I would buy a tile and do a straight replacement. So its getting the silicone treatment.

yep my problem too..i had a disc grinder to cut them but er...broke it...and another...so i gave up...and silicone it is..i dont like tile walking...but sometimes you have no choice..this particular house...the whole of the top to the house can be accessed from tile walking...

I could understand using one at height but standing on a ladder 4 rungs up seems a wee bit of overkill to me :rolleyes:

Better to be safe than sorry I suppose - 3 points of contact and all that /emoticons/biggrin.png

My mate subcontracts for sky..get caught not harnessed and bolted to the wall and it's the job centre for you

Does the silicon work. Seems a good idea. I've broken a few & just owned up to it but silicon sounds good. Clear silicon I take it?

well ...i did have a great black roof type silicon but it disappeared for some reason...yeh any silicon will do...i have done some on my own roof and over the road..it lasts well...

At this time of year....pots full of plants can become prey for a swinging ladder. I have also pulled pots or planters away from patio doors only to see them break away in my hands.

That's one reason why I like to wear a hard hat as am forever banging my head

never mind the ladder...hurt my bloody head on a few hanging baskets...sad thing is ..i do it again....ouch

Back