Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie from down south, hi to all.

Scottie

Hello all,

Glad I have found this site and can hopefully talk to some window cleaners whom can give solid advice.

In short I have worked office work and marketing al my life so far and its just killing me, so much so after a horrid incident in 2013 I am recovering mentally and I now want to do a job I am happy in and work for myself and lose the pressure. I am happy again for the first time knowing if i can make this work I am free from a lot of demons.

So here I am just about to embark on a Gardening and window cleaning role. I have done my business plans and marketing but I hoped I could steal some experience form this froum and you guys if that is ok.

People alwasy seem to scare yo and say "you need this you need that and window cleaning wont work or gardening. I have a clear passion for this to work so sod them.

I just want to know if there is a breakdown on here of what you need to have to be legal as a business/sole trader in window cleaning.

I will inform HMRC

I am getting public liability insurance and have a quote for gardening and windows.

Is there anyhting else I need to do to make it all legal, I can not think of anything else? people tell me waste for window cleaning is a big deal, whats the score with this? If there is anything else I need to do please could you let me no.

Thank you in advance and nice to meet you.

Scottie

ignore friends and family members who give "helpful" advice,its no good

but listening to this forums advice is very worth your while .

dont delay starting is a tip i swear by . the legal side of starting up should follow on soon after you have started ,but not before

Welcome fella

You can't go wrong just getting out there and cracking on with it and between us you shouldn't have any problems we can't help with

Just ask c-through we helped him with lots of advice..lol

But boar is right don't listen to the nay sayers as they are not talking from experience just their own opinions

Thanks everyone, what a kool forum and helpful. Your right I need to crack on with it, I think I worry to much that I am doing things right and not going to fall foul of the law, plus so many people have tried to say no this **** dont do it, but looking at figures I can earn more than i did in the office if it works out that is, I am not looking to earn a fourtune, but mainly for once to do somthing I will feel happy in and not have to live my life in hell anymore, just pleaseing people I am in a safe office job, when all its done is ruiend my life really. I am an outside guy, so this forum has already given me a boost, form the positive vibes.

They all say it wont work, was beliving them, i just hope I dont look a fool and it fails, then I really am in the sh*t.

SPCLEANING - I will be working south essex and north kent only, gardening and window cleaning.

Thanks guys, much respect, already learning much info form you all.

Good luck to you Scottie. I love doing what I do and wouldn't return to being employed. I too was told it was a bad move by my last bosses, (They tried hard to talk me out of resigning). They just didn't know that I was just returning to where I started with my father in 1988.

SPCLEANING - thats good mate, I hope it can work out for me to like you. I just seem to hit fences all the time, now its insurance. I just have social domestic insurance now and all i want to do is find a new insurance to have my focus insured so i cna use it for personal and buiness use. I ticked business use and got quotes then call in and they say they can nto insure me as I am paid per job, whats all that? It just seems one thing after the other setting up a simple thing. unsure what to bloody do now...

Tell em you will be getting paid monthly by invoice then as will be doing commercial work

Decorators get paid by job no problem

And stop worrying..even a bad day on the glass can pay better than a 9-5 in an office or driving job

I was stock and systems administrator for 2012 Olympics on good money and a lot happier going back to the scrim circuit

and dont forget fleabay for a local window/gardening round for sale as it will certainly speed things up if you are lucky enough to find one nearby and of course...you can always sell it again if you give up.....good luck keep us informed...

Hello all,
Glad I have found this site and can hopefully talk to some window cleaners whom can give solid advice.

In short I have worked office work and marketing al my life so far and its just killing me, so much so after a horrid incident in 2013 I am recovering mentally and I now want to do a job I am happy in and work for myself and lose the pressure. I am happy again for the first time knowing if i can make this work I am free from a lot of demons.

So here I am just about to embark on a Gardening and window cleaning role. I have done my business plans and marketing but I hoped I could steal some experience form this froum and you guys if that is ok.

People alwasy seem to scare yo and say "you need this you need that and window cleaning wont work or gardening. I have a clear passion for this to work so sod them.

I just want to know if there is a breakdown on here of what you need to have to be legal as a business/sole trader in window cleaning.

I will inform HMRC

I am getting public liability insurance and have a quote for gardening and windows.

Is there anyhting else I need to do to make it all legal, I can not think of anything else? people tell me waste for window cleaning is a big deal, whats the score with this? If there is anything else I need to do please could you let me no.

Thank you in advance and nice to meet you.

Scottie
Welcome scottie. Windows are great but gardening sucks IMO. There are so many people offering their services for £10-12 per hour that it is very difficult to charge more. I charge £20ph which sounds great, but in reality I can only fit in about 4-5 customers a day due to travelling time, lunch break, toilet breaks, tea breaks etc. And because I am charging by the hour I am always being watched by the custy that wants thier moneys worth. Its also very tiring work, for me it would be too much day in day out. Its especially bad when the sun is out, more so then window cleaning. Not trying to put you off like your family and friends, just offering a bit of insight. The only reason I keep my 1 day a week gardening round going is because I have some good loyal customers that use me for handyman work also. you need to buy a lot of petrol gardening tools also since you'll be working while the custys out (no power), which is expensive if you don't have them already. Just my take on it, but I have a friend that does very well soley out of gardening work, so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt.

From day 1 I never regretting starting window cleaning when all my family were slating it and saying how bad the money was, and that's its a skill less trade. Its nice that I can now prove them wrong on both parts.

That really pi##es me off when people say it's not a skilled job

Taken me 23 years to get to the level I am at now

Minimal detailing and good quality work

Let joe public pick up a squeegee and try it

That really pi##es me off when people say it's not a skilled jobTaken me 23 years to get to the level I am at now

Minimal detailing and good quality work

Let joe public pick up a squeegee and try it
It doesn't take long to master a mop and blade tbf.

mop and blade is only half of it. you have to organize getting to n fro, money handling, drumming up work ,a myriad other things . none of which you do in a regular job. the folk who smirk [often family members] couldnt do it all,they mock because theyre actually jealous of you having the bottle to do it

Back