Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Helping start ups

WCF

Help Support WCF:

SPCleaning

I have been helping two separate guys to get their selves up and running. Both are in different areas. Both are trad only, although I recently gave a backpack to one who had lost a custie to a wfp operator.

I push work to both of them albeit the small jobs I don't want. I cherry pick the better value jobs for my self, after all I'm in business too.

Another long established windie thinks I'm crazy helping these two, as it could be a threat to my business (or his). I didn't see them as a threat as neither appear to have the 'get up and go' which I think is required to get on.

A lot of us regularly assist new starts on here, provide advice on all aspects of running a window cleaning business, I have just taken it a little further.

.................Am I crazy to be helping these two fellas?

you might be able to draw on them to help out if a big job comes your way in the future .

They both came asking for jobs, but I don't employ or intend to. In my area I'm the only one with a website so I get lots of enquiries that I don't really want and thought it would be useful having somewhere to send the surplus work.

i field jobs out to other windies , but if i dont get a thank you or something fielded back at a later date ,in the future i wont offer them any help , even if theyre going under .

I have 2 mates round here who used to work for the company I subbed work off

Always happy to give me a ring if they are behind and gonna fail work for the month

I'm not even charged for the work..they're just glad to keep custys happy and I get the full price in my pocket

They know if I got in that situation it would work the other way

Everyone seems to have it in for us so good to stick together

I have been helping two separate guys to get their selves up and running. Both are in different areas. Both are trad only, although I recently gave a backpack to one who had lost a custie to a wfp operator.
I push work to both of them albeit the small jobs I don't want. I cherry pick the better value jobs for my self, after all I'm in business too.

Another long established windie thinks I'm crazy helping these two, as it could be a threat to my business (or his). I didn't see them as a threat as neither appear to have the 'get up and go' which I think is required to get on.

A lot of us regularly assist new starts on here, provide advice on all aspects of running a window cleaning business, I have just taken it a little further.

.................Am I crazy to be helping these two fellas?
If they don't seem to have the get up and go, why are you bothering?

Boar has just made me re-think my ways. I have passed on several jobs via a mate and have never had a thank you. No more passing on work to him in the future.

i can see it would be useful to be able to pass off some jobs as you dont like to say...oh i cant clean your windows...and yet at the same time you may be thinking its too far..not the work i want..so in a way...yep i wish i had someone to take on the bits and pieces we all pick up....

in the olden times with the power of youth...i would keep everything so i could sell and make money but...it is hard to keep the balance if you take on too much and the weather is against you....

again in olden times windys used to be against other windys its nice to think times are changing and we all can get along.../emoticons/smile.png

I must admit, I wouldn't do what you are doing SPC. People that don't have the get up n go can often make good staff members, so I would have rather taken them on or sub the work out to them. That said, if I am behind in my handyman work, I have a few people and trades I can call on. I'm hoping I'll get a recommendation back one day as a lot of people have made a lot of money from the work I've passed on.

If they don't seem to have the get up and go, why are you bothering?
Boar has just made me re-think my ways. I have passed on several jobs via a mate and have never had a thank you. No more passing on work to him in the future.
Good point Tuffers, I think it's got a lot to do with not saying, No. It's easier to put them in touch with someone else.

I still pass on work that for some reason or another I don't want to do. It's no skin off my back as I'm not a full time window cleaner and don't want to be either.

All work and no play makes jack a dull boy and all that. Or in my chase if I don't get enough naps I'm a grumpy old bugger./emoticons/biggrin.png

Back