Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Prices up at the start of next year

dasslr1

94 to go
going to put prices up at the start of the year ,but that got me thinking do some on here give out letters saying in a few months prices will change or do some of you just mention it a month before hand and see what happens ? is there a letter i can download on here? or to view? ty

I think it's best to tell each individual customer of any price increase face to face.

I just told mine the visit before. 99% remembered no issue. 1% will need to be reminded until in sinks in,...about when the next increase is due. :rolleyes:

going to put prices up at the start of the year ,but that got me thinking do some on here give out letters saying in a few months prices will change or do some of you just mention it a month before hand and see what happens ? is there a letter i can download on here? or to view? ty
Always tell them face to face that it will be going up next time. Just remember, you must be prepared to lose one or two, as it no good backing down. Usually most people are OK, as long as it is a reasonable increase and not too long since the last one. I usually put mine up in April to coincide with my financial year.

er..i more sneaky....if they ask how much.? up it goes..

when they are due a price increase i stop putting the price on the note for a few cleans before...

its easier to move from some amounts than others....i have got stuck on a tenner on some...so i may have to just say...its going up...:thumbsup:

sometimes...i will drop doing some windows when i am due an increase...if they notice ...i will say....they were not noticed in my original price....which...sometimes..they arent..

Did anyone put their prices up at the beginning of this year and also planning to do it again next year

Pricing is something that should be dealt with almost everyday or at least look at once a week, and put into practice every month, as profit margins differ month by month.

Take a business with £24K turnover, and increase that to £34K, that’s a 42% increase; over two years a 21% increase. Not likely to be profitable or even possible by approaching it just once or twice a year, even if you went for half that amount, 10%

Inflation is another 3% per year. £24k requires another increase of £720 or £60 per month, and more for the second year (£34k, £1020 or £85 per month). Allow a percentage for direct and indirect costs, working more hours and using more resources getting to the £34k.

Window cleaners who understand more about pricing will always earn more than the ones who understand less – who’s to say you can’t put your prices up with every new customer?

/emoticons/smile.png

if i put them up in january itll have been 2 years since they were last increased . so deffo needs doing .was thinking about hanging on till april but we ll see.pretty much all my customers are good payers and say im a good wc ,but i expect to lose 1 or 2 but with the increase youll be earning more money for less work .

Did anyone put their prices up at the beginning of this year and also planning to do it again next year
Since the recession hit in '08, I've been all over the place with increases, I put some up last October, But, as I've said earlier, I shall get to grips this April and probably put most up.

Pricing is something that should be dealt with almost everyday or at least look at once a week, and put into practice every month, as profit margins differ month by month.

Take a business with £24K turnover, and increase that to £34K, that’s a 42% increase; over two years a 21% increase. Not likely to be profitable or even possible by approaching it just once or twice a year, even if you went for half that amount, 10%

Inflation is another 3% per year. £24k requires another increase of £720 or £60 per month, and more for the second year (£34k, £1020 or £85 per month). Allow a percentage for direct and indirect costs, working more hours and using more resources getting to the £34k.

Window cleaners who understand more about pricing will always earn more than the ones who understand less – who’s to say you can’t put your prices up with every new customer?

/emoticons/smile.png
I fully agree with what you are saying, but sometimes the customers don't see it like that.

I dont have a set time or date for price increases. Its a rolling programme for me throughout the year. Everyone gets an increase once a year. I let most of my customers know by text .......at the same time I advise them of their window clean.

I fully agree with what you are saying, but sometimes the customers don't see it like that.

It’s your business; sometimes you have to change your customers, just leave the final decision to the customer. (When you are ready, and not before.)

It’s your business; sometimes you have to change your customers, just leave the final decision to the customer. (When you are ready, and not before.)
I do agree that you should change your customers,........I have removed many under priced jobs or low value work. I had loads at £5, £7. Now I have nothing less than £15. I want nothing less than £20, but it takes time and careful planning.

My father had the same customers for over twenty years but he didn't put prices up. Recently I tried to dump one of his old jobs at £15 (It takes an hour) because if I priced it today it would be worth £35. I explained this to the customer and thanked them for their previous custom.

Two days later to my surprise they rang and asked if I would return if they paid the going rate of £35. I agreed of course. I could never of reasonably put up the price every year to get it up to value the gap was too big.

That's whyvi am being carefull to price everything properly as I get my new custys

Before I would quote on the phone as I know the area and what the houses are like

Nowadays I see every job beforehand even if it is identical to one I already do I would want to check it out first

yep ..i have a few who ask when they are going up....but last time one came out with a tenner for me...it was, and has for a long time been £7....and pleased to say...today whilst up the ladder she came and plonked a load of change on the window cill and said theres your money thankyou...and when i counted...£10...i aint gonna argue....of course now ....all the others have to go up as it wouldnt be fair.../emoticons/biggrin.png

another tomorrow ...money left ...priced at £8...always leaves a tenner...i hope i havent spoke too soon...!

Pricing is difficult, but it should be remembered that we control the going rate. If there are three wc's in a town and they all charge £10 for a two bed house then that's the going rate. If one charges less say £7 then it all changes.

I now always try to get as much as I can when I quote. If they show signs of thinking my price is high, I tell them if they want a professional job then they have to pay professional prices. (I'm not suggesting anyone else is less professional) I get 80% of what I quote.

Back