Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I was in cornwall last week.....

Tuffers

And jeez, how many manky windows were there!! The windows on most houses were filthy and I wandered if money is too tight or it's not seen as essential to keep them clean down there? I did a Google search of windys in Penzance and only a few came up. I have often thought about moving there. I wander if I could start from scratch again? Sell my round and just do it? I have even thought about adding Penzance on the areas covered to my website to see if I get any feedback for a laugh. It would be harder work though as the seagulls have really gone to town on the glass (wander if that's the reason they don't bother getting them cleaned as :turd: will be dropped within minutes /emoticons/biggrin.png)

Anyone else thought about doing this kind of thing?

How did you find it @Gav?

There are actually quite a few windies down here. Yep most windows are pretty dirty (salty sea air!) I build up a a fair bit of business but due to things going just did not have the time etc. Wish I did, I know many around do pretty well the main one down Penzance way are pretty big and cover a lot of areas right through Cornwall.

Can you do the funny walk though;)
Just glanced over at Mrs T and she resembles Connie Booth come to mention it :rofl:

Who are the big guys in PZ @boarcity, I have my comfort blanket up here, but if I was desperate, I'd be down there canvassing :thumbsup:

you know the work would be there . now the recessions over. would it bug you if you didnt go ?

Last edited:
were you on holiday there then? if i was starting again from scratch and know what i know now,id think that area would be as nice a one as you can get

Are property prices cheaper down there than where you are tuffers ? If so, you could have a nice wedge of profit from your house sale/purchase to rely on as you built up your business.

were you on holiday there then? if i was starting again from scratch and know what i know now,id think that area would be as nice a one as you can get
Yeah, on holiday, but know Penzance and surrounding area very well.

Are property prices cheaper down there than where you are tuffers ? If so, you could have a nice wedge of profit from your house sale/purchase to rely on as you built up your business.
They were slightly cheaper last time I looked. But if I were to go there, the house would have to have a sea view, big garden etc, which I wouldn't be able to afford.

can remember when i was on the cleanitup forum ,a big wig on there was from st.ives ,recall he said prices for residential were pathetically low. he had got a fairly big commercial round but had vans travelling long way, such as bristol daily , to make it work.

can remember when i was on the cleanitup forum ,a big wig on there was from st.ives ,recall he said prices for residential were pathetically low. he had got a fairly big commercial round but had vans travelling long way, such as bristol daily , to make it work.
Blimey, Bristol is nearly 200 miles from there! I've seen his website, not that good tbf.

An electrician and his wife who lived next door to us moved to cornwall as thought it would be nice to live down by the sea. He moved many moons ago when the house prices were low. Turn out they want to move back as he has no work down their but can't afford to buy a house in this area now. He now works back in this area so stays with his mum during the week then goes back to cornwall for the weekends to spend time with his wife and kids.:rolleyes:

youd never know unless you tried it . years ago i lived in the north of scotland and it was fairly common for folk who had been made redundant from industry or the civil service to come north and buy a bed n breakfast or hotel in beautiful surroundings. but the long winter months with little trade to speak of messed up the dream - quite a few took to drinking whiskey from their own bar and ended up penniless and couldnt afford to move back down south again

Last edited:
I did a Google search of windys in Penzance and only a few came up. ) @Gav?
Not many bother with internet advertising I think. If I google my area, I'm the only window cleaner coming up with a website. The next nearest is Exeter or Barnstaple (Miles away) But there are 4 wfp guys within 4 miles of my village, and I see loads of guys with ladders etc going about their business.

I get lots of enquiries though, because of the website, I can't understand why others don't get themselves online.

A few months ago I got an enquiry from Bude! (Just over the border into Cornwall)

SP,so youre down in that devon cornwall area ? u lucky chap , does it go to sleep as it were,once the summer season is over?

No it just goes back to normal /emoticons/wink.png

I work rural areas inland, mostly large houses. I meet a few tourist who panic when you meet them on a deep Devon Lane and they are scared to reverse. Greenery rubbing both sides of the vehicle. I just tend to reverse its quicker.

As you may imagine the tourist trade has no impact on our trade, unless you are involved in cleaning hotel windows.

It's a great place to live and work. I feel quite lucky.

Errr,..........I mean its an awful place to live and work,...........really bad. You guys wouldn't like it, best stay where you are. :rofl:

'Come to sunny Devon, where it rains six days out of seven'

Back