Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Fire hydrants to fill tank?

SPCleaning

I am at home this morning looking after the kids, (wife has an appointment) staring out of the window, when Metrorod roll up and attach a standpipe to the FH outside my house. I went out to my van to turn off my water as I was filling my tank, and started chatting to the guy who was filing a 650ltr tank (just like ours) It took just 5 mins and the tank was full. (my tank takes over half an hour to fill) He said that there is a meter fitted to the standpipe and they have to tell the water company the readings monthly for billing.

I wonder if we could do this? Water on tap everywhere we go. May look into this.

Guest SolarPanelCleaning

Great idea! There's a couple of public taps that I top up at. De ionise while I have lunch. There's no shortage of water round here mind.

Well in the Westcountry this is controlled by Jewsons Hire Centres.

You hire a metered stand pipe from Jewsons at £23 +vat per week then you pay £2.05 +vat per 1000 cubic litres used.

You give Jewsons the meter reading and pay them.

If you use for a longer period than 12 weeks the weekly cost drops to £11 +vat.

So it will work out quite expensive.

My usage costs about £28 per month currently, with stand pipes it would be nearer £100.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.