Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bit over the top but he is safe.

Smurf

Was at a job today and 2 sky installers turned up to change an lmb & run extra sky cables from the dish to the back of the house.

Had to take this pic as you do of the one working at the front.:D

View attachment 2859

He could not drill a hole at the bottom to strap his ladder to the wall so used a Laddermate

http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/safety-first-laddermate.html?gclid=CKfh9_22vsACFVGWtAodOzQACA

Then he drilled a hole in the new brickwork above the garage to strap it to the wall (yellow straps you can see) He is using a vertical lifeline & harness in the pic so he won't fall off his ladder whilst using both hands using tools etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did not tell the customer either so I told him :laugh:

"Yep they have just drilled a hole in the middle of one of your new bricks

His reply was "I did wonder why I could hear drilling"/emoticons/sad.png

I had one round the other week at my house, seems like it's no expense spared with there vans there roof racks are about £500 from rhino, then the ladders, microlite, ladder mate harness and ropes must all add up

I was talking to the chap working at the back and he said all installers now work directly for sky (no more sub contractors) so sky pay for all the vans, training and kit.

they often place the ladder on the outside corner of a house ,thats where the big risk is ,leaning round with the weight of a dish in your hand

about 3 yrs ago i was doing windows next door to a sky lad putting up a dish. he asked me /told me off in fact/ that i wasnt wearing a hard hat ,boots etc. then confessed he had only just returned to work after 6 months off when he fell and busted his shoulder on the way up a ladder .

They insist on boots as the heel stops feet slipping forward on rungs and then hanging upside down as ladder falls with you

I went for a job with avc in stevenage years ago (they work for sky)

They said they could tell I was a windie as my h&s was non existent compared to theirs

Had to climb 40ft ish up a ladder on a harness and then let go and lean back to show confidence..never seen grown men cry like that before..lol

I would have to say setting a ladder on a corner of building is one of the most dangerous things you can do.

oops...poor sky guy today ...got two sets of ladders out and the dish and was messing about for an hour...and then said he couldn't get line of sight from the back...and the housing association wont let the dishes go on the front...ahhhh

Sounds a bit odd to me?

oops...poor sky guy today ...got two sets of ladders out and the dish and was messing about for an hour...and then said he couldn't get line of sight from the back...and the housing association wont let the dishes go on the front...ahhhh

yep...i thought he could have put it down the garden a bit on the shed....but suppose if there is nothing to attach it to theres not a lot he can do...it was a link detached bungalow and you can really only use the facia...i like the way he got all his kit out first before checking with a meter i saw him go up the ladder with the dish..some you win...poor sky not getting any money..i heard him explain on the phone to his boss..still...no holes drilled:D

Latest Posts

Back