Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Telescopic pole to reach high windows advice needed.

Scottie

Hello all,

I hope someone on here can help me. I have watched some videos on you tube and love the pole extention ones using the moded watail. I want to make one or buy one, or no if anyone out there does make them at all.

This video has what I want to make/have: [media]

[/media]
I just wondered if anyone had the knowledge to give me a breakdown of what is needed to buy to make a pole like this, or if you know of any other ways to achive this pole, I see people use harris poles and and adapt.

SO yeah any one whom can give me a breakdown of that is needed to achive somthing like this then please feel free to inform. I know the wagtail is modified, but wonderd do people out there make them to order and agian if the whats needed to make the moded wagtail could be isted that would be great.

Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

Hi AJ, I am after that sort of reach for normal 2nd floor domestic houses in that video or just slightly longer to reach the gutter. Just can nto work out where to buy a complete unit form (if they are sold) or what parts I actually need to creat one, there is one using a harris pole and also that one in the video above. Just want to get one or make one asap, or if anyone out there makes the wagtail DIY ready for me to stick on a pole and what pole I will need. Great stuff and video. Cheers

Personally the pole I use for all domestics and guttering is from pure freedom. They aren't much heavier than the gardener poles but they are 80% carbon. I prefer these as carbon tends to wear down and thin out after a while, also there quite a bit cheaper. Also my brushes are all now fitted with spray and jet sprays so I can switch over from one to the other when required because of the different glass types. Hope this helps.

That would be a nightmare Scottie! After one house you'd be needing to change your dry cloth! You'd go through dozens of them per week! Your arms and neck would be in bits and no matter how careful you were you'd end up with far to many streaks!

JD, Hi, what do you mean mate? I just want to have the same system as the video above, just want to know where you buy the parts from and make it, so I can use it like he does in the video and lots of other people do.

I only want it for normal houses upstairs and do the down windows normally.

Thanks.

you can buy a Harris pole in BnQ . 15 quid

this is how i make up my poles for trad use - I first remove the harris pole tip. then i Fit a tip on to this pole from an Anza pole because the Wagtail range wont fit onto the harris pole tip . Anza poles are sold next to the harris poles in BnQ and are much shorter poles . you need to drill out the rivets to change over the tips and you need to file out the inside of the anza tip a tad with a needle file to make it fit .

View attachment 2860 iv also found a way to extend the life of a harris pole by 2 times or more. where they tend to break is at the base ,theres a plastic end cap which cracks after only a few short weeks if you use it a lot.

what i do is remove the end cap by pouring boiling water on it to soften the glue. then drill 2 small holes in the bottom pole tube about 1 inch up from the bottom . drill through both sides and find a small 2 inch long nut and bolt to put through the holes. then remove said nut and bolt

from an old piece of squeegee rubber cut about 6 pieces each of about an inch long. drill a small hole in each piece

thread the bolt thru the pole one side and then push on the 6 pieces of squeegee rubber then finally push the bolt out the other side of the pole and put the nut on. these little pieces of squeegee rubber which are now inside the pole base act as a rubber bump stop when you collapse the pole

i then wrap the base 6 inches of the pole with a piece of bicycle inner tube to protect it

Last edited:
I don't think these chaps have quite got to grips with pole work do you?:confused:

[media]

[/media]
But at least the windows are not left wet:D

JD, Hi, what do you mean mate? I just want to have the same system as the video above, just want to know where you buy the parts from and make it, so I can use it like he does in the video and lots of other people do.
I only want it for normal houses upstairs and do the down windows normally.

Thanks.
Boarcity,

Cheers mate for the info. wow a bit of work to make the pole long enough. Is there not a pole that you cna buy thats extendable to reach the upstairs windows of a house, one that anyone would recommend? Thats also fits the wagtail to go in, is it unger that do them? Its really hard to find out exactly what is used, I am suprised no one is makign them up for others or even a place to buy a system thats easy to put together.

I am yet to find a normal trad pole system made to sell. surley there are about? I think I have seen them where you have adaption on end to soap the window with an aplicator and then you take off and put a squeegee on to do rest. Anyone recomend one that out there? Only thing is some people say the wagtail method is easier, but I think both have benefits.

Boarcity, thank you for your reply mate.

I use an unger pole which the unger handles clip on to if I can't reach above a conservatory etc and usually use my new 0° swivel squeegee

Works well but I believe you can't beat using a ladder if you are trad

If you are worried about ladders I would get a trolley system and start getting used to wfp

Scary watching that fool on the ladder, accident waiting to happen. Could of had all those windows done by time it took him to do just the one. Even more ironic is his mate was watching rather than hold the ladders.

Back