Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is it sad that i do this ??? lol

dasslr1

94 to go
iv been doing this for a while now( 8 months)

i have a stop watch on my phone and i time myself per house and on my work notes i write down how long it takes for each house . im not talking flat out trying to beat myself every time but it just keeps me motivated (these 4 house should take an hour and earn xxx amount of money). it keeps me to a time frame plus its good for me to keep my hourly rate up .sometimes it goes out the window when custy brings out a brew and chat for a bit lol (which i don't mind). anyone else do silly thing like this ???

Sounds quite a good idea to me as long as your not taking risks and/or shortcuts trying to beat your time.

iv been doing this for a while now( 8 months)i have a stop watch on my phone and i time myself per house and on my work notes i write down how long it takes for each house . im not talking flat out trying to beat myself every time but it just keeps me motivated (these 4 house should take an hour and earn xxx amount of money). it keeps me to a time frame plus its good for me to keep my hourly rate up .sometimes it goes out the window when custy brings out a brew and chat for a bit lol (which i don't mind). anyone else do silly thing like this ???
You're talking to a bunch of blokes that like to ignore our wives and chat on a forum about the cleaning of dirt on windows... you're in safe hands fella. :thumbsup:

But to answer your question- no I don't. /emoticons/biggrin.png

I tend to give my self 30 minutes to do 20 minute houses. If I get them done before 30 minutes then I get to go home early /emoticons/smile.png Or squeeze in a few of tomorrow's.

I have a set time for each individual house and always try to beat that particular time. I have thought about using a stop watch as its a form of motivation which is always good. Its also nice to beat your previous time record. I did download a speaking clock app to the phone, it told you every minute that passed. This was way too stressful though....felt like I had a boss breathing down my neck.....not into that at all.

i have tried timed runs but....always...some bugger rings me up..usually the bloody wife..or comes out...or wants a chat....but great idea...these days i just dont look at what time it is and hope i am doing well....er....i never am..but...it means i never get bored./emoticons/biggrin.png

Yep, you can guarantee that if ever you are in front of your time schedule and an earlier finish looks likely, then mrs miggins, your friendly old lady customer, will come out and want to start talking, in great detail, about the price of bananas.

and you have to listen...yawn....sometimes i just drift away....:zzz::zzz::zzz:

i have enough trouble getting past the bloody neighbour....just cause she dont work...shes always...cough cough ill.....but all the time catches me loading up...and i too polite ....grrrrr

It's very healthy and wise to do this, it is important to know if you are making it pay. You'd be better noting the hours you work on a daily basis, and the money you earn in that time, this will give you an average for the period, and will include stoppages such as breaks etc. If you do the same for the week and then the year, you will be surprised how it works out. Of course, it easy if you can handle a computer because all you will have to do, once it's set up, is to put in the amounts for each day and the rest will be worked out for you. To take it further, at the end of the year you will have an average earnings per hour, so when it comes to price increases and you have put them all up, you can work out what percentage of your round your increases are; then you can multiply your present hourly rate by that percentage, and that will tell you your real increase for the coming year. This way you will see year on year if you are improving or not! Sounds complicated, but it's not really. it's what all good businesses do.

I know exactly what I earn a week and month and my excel and access sheets are all linked so I know exactly what comes from where but I don't time myself out on the job

I know what my days work is and I get it done..it is irrelevant if I took 10 mins having a cuppa at 1 job but done another quicker..my hourly and daily rate still ends up in my pocket

I know exactly what I earn a week and month and my excel and access sheets are all linked so I know exactly what comes from where but I don't time myself out on the jobI know what my days work is and I get it done..it is irrelevant if I took 10 mins having a cuppa at 1 job but done another quicker..my hourly and daily rate still ends up in my pocket
That's fair enough if it suits you, but it doesn't necessarily mean, in a business sense, you are in profit. What if you had a job that took half a day, or a day and a half, then it would make a difference. I was talking with a window cleaner once and he asked me how much I did in a day. I told him about £85. He said that's about the same as he was doing, and he was employing a lad. So obviously not making any money out of it. Of course, with window cleaning our ex's are low, so at the end of the day all that really matters is how much money you get, so I agree with you.

Latest Posts

Back