Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

So what do you do with the jobs you just dont like....the pia jobs...

cheapncheerful

actually this could be a warning for all you newbies that have been on here of late...

well you see....a lot of the jobs you will pick up....some other windy will have dropped....but why?

i dont canvas but when i started i did a leaflet drop with a local paper ...its hit and miss as i am sure some end up in the bin but its fast...

and you pick up odd jobs...some are great and you end up with an area...some of course are just odd jobs...

i am in the process of trying to get rid of them but...its awkward as they probably have my number etc....and i cant really say....your not really worth me cleaning as your just one house on a full estate who fell out with the local windy...

i say this as i had just a few that i thought as i have been so busy of late i could maybe just drop and hopefully they wouldnt call me back...

well one such pia job phoned my today and so even though i planned a nice skive as i was going to the opticians i decided to do it ...i had not gone two weeks before when he had phoned...and guess what his wife let slip...

she said i was mad with my husband as he had lost your card.....oh i so nearly escaped...

just wondering how long before the other two...father and son....take to realise i havent been....:whistle:

well the sons is okay as he isnt often there but the dad who will pay....of course he always is...and he has a lovely dog and i just get stuck for ever....i suppose if i am in a cba mood maybe....but i will wait and see if they phone first..custys who would have em...../emoticons/biggrin.png

At the end of the day it's all work but if you can afford to drop them then thats your call.

CnC, this is very very easy; "I'm afraid I'm going to have to put the price up as of next month as its just not financially viable- petrol, time etc."

If they accept it, you get what the jobs worth, or more.

If they tell you to jog on, you've gotten rid as you wished.

If you don't turn up, then you may have to deal with them in a few months time, run the risk of getting a bad name, and lose money.

You've got nothing to lose by talking to them about it.

i block the numbers on my phone of any customers that i dont want any more . if they do get in touch by other means i say i dont do your area anymore it was too much trouble

yeh but tolish....one £6 house on the full estate.....he stopped the last guy because he came to early...ooops....i havent actually canvassed the estate though...but i would have to up it a lot for the effort...i have been doing odd ones like this on days i canna be bothered and just write them of as keeping me ticking over but now i want some time off and a more decent round...

lets see what happens monday....will i go or not....:rolleyes:

yeh boar ...blocking the numbers may be a good idea....i mean the people in question are really nice but.....is it worth the effort..on the other hand...we have had a dream run of nice dry weather...when the sh itty stuff comes back...and you dont know if it will rain from one minute to the next.....hmmmm maybe keep em for another winter...

i have turned down loads on the distance/ cost of petrol /not my area as even they realise travelling time has to be a factor...

yeh but tolish....one £6 house on the full estate.....he stopped the last guy because he came to early...
..i mean the people in question are really nice but.....is it worth the effort. as even they realise travelling time has to be a factor...
you are giving them the benefit of the doubt,i have learnt not to do that
i find it very satisfying to get rid ,the stroke of the pen decides their fate - this latterday Kommandant sits at his desk - never to see (or HEAR ) from them ever again

yeh but tolish....one £6 house on the full estate.....he stopped the last guy because he came to early...ooops....i havent actually canvassed the estate though...but i would have to up it a lot for the effort...i have been doing odd ones like this on days i canna be bothered and just write them of as keeping me ticking over but now i want some time off and a more decent round...lets see what happens monday....will i go or not....:rolleyes:

yeh boar ...blocking the numbers may be a good idea....i mean the people in question are really nice but.....is it worth the effort..on the other hand...we have had a dream run of nice dry weather...when the sh itty stuff comes back...and you dont know if it will rain from one minute to the next.....hmmmm maybe keep em for another winter...

i have turned down loads on the distance/ cost of petrol /not my area as even they realise travelling time has to be a factor...
I'm sure you know what's best on this mate as you've been doing it a long time, but when I started one of my first ever jobs was one the other side of the city about 25mins drive for £8. I took it, as you do, but was intending to ditch. Not long after I got another job in the area, and another, and before I knew it I had a full days work all a stones throw from each other. Glad I kept that £8er. That said, I like this particular customer, whereas yours sounds a bit of a tool. You know what to do mate.

I have the odd custy in each of the local villages just so I can be seen working there as there are big houses with money

Seems to be paying off in the last few days..especially when one customer posted on facebook how impressed she was then told her neighbours

I am in the same position cnc. I have at least 30 customers I need to drop so that I can start catching up a bit. Some of my monthly cleans are becoming two monthly so its time to act. I have identified an area where a lot of my custies are spread out that will be axed. Only sent a few texts out so far. I am being totally honest telling them that my main round, in another area, has become so big that I am not able to travel to their area anymore. I offer my apologies and say goodbye. Must admit, I dont like doing it. I feel guilty about it, but your round needs to be honed constantly with a view to having it so condensed that you hardly have to move the car every day. Every windy must get to this point.

I use them as stand bys. If I'm out in that area & for one reason or another there's a house I can't do ill go & do them so it keeps the money right for that day. If they say don't bother I've not lost nothing. If they say I haven't been for a while ill make up some excuse.

yep ...i always likened it to monopoly....we all know which streets we want...mayfair and park lane but all i got is the brown one at the bottom that nobody wants...:rofl:

yeh posh with you on that....in fact i have text me for next day windowcleaning on the back of the leaflet s i leave so if they say why are you late i just say because i have been busy and you can always text me if you want me...

i will go on monday and if...the windows look dirty i will probably do em as you say and keep them for fill in work...

I use them as stand bys. If I'm out in that area &imfor one reason or another there's a house I can't do ill go & do them so it keeps the money right for that day. If they say don't bother I've not lost nothing. If they say I haven't been for a while ill make up some excuse.
With you on that one posh....fillers are good.....but even my filler customers are keen and Inpatient. Suppose its not a bad place to be.

hey thats what i used to do in the olden days....oh it felt good when a big chunk went..all the pressure suddenly gone..i miss the olden days...

its funny but it does seem to be the pia jobs who keep all my contact details..

i wasnt looking forward to the two i did on friday but after my chicken and ribs combo and two pints of ruddles i couldnt care..

i looked at the clock ...12.50pm and so thought i will just have ten minutes...as you do....at 1.25 i gradually came to life...

the trouble with this one is....they are always in....so he is a vicar and does his sermons in his office at the back and i try my best to get that office done when he isnt in it as him being just two foot away on the other side of the glass and waving and chatting spooks me somewhat...

so he went to make me a coffee...well knowing he would be in the kitchen i shot around the back and did his office ...only...he brought out a little stool and then my coffee and was about to do a spot of gardening whilst i cleaned the back windows....so i got lumbered making small talk anyway...

now not saying anything which will upset anyone hopefully as i may well suffer from parkinson's myself as my grandad had it..

but if you have it as bad as he has it....you shouldnt try to carry your cuppa as you work...

his wife had already told him off for spilling it on the new kitchen floor....oops

but it was entertaining to watch the little trail he was leaving...

this is the one that phoned for me two weeks ago and i pretended to forget as i couldna be bothered...

and so...seeing all the spiders and there resulting mess on the conny he must have tried to clean it...well sorry i aint getting all the ali marks off all over the white upvc...not to mention the horrific scratch mark where some bird muck had been..:eek:

anyway he said can i do his insides downstairs....and knowing he wanted it done i had my answer all ready...

oh i am sorry....the insurance wont cover me for insides at the moment as there has been a lot of spurious claims...

he did look sad ...and he said well we cant reach the kitchen windows over the counter...so i gave in and said i would sneak in and do them....oh and canyoujuster....do the conny inside as well...er...no..was my reply..but i said...everyone uses the nice new karcher window vac these days..mrs vicar perked up her ears then...oh i havent seen that...i explained how easy it was and said you can get it in argos..i should be on commision....got my money and did a runner...they are really rammy....yuk.

and so one pia done i thought what the hell lets get the other done...this being a new job but one look and i knew...she was going to be a bit of a :specs:specs:specs and she explained how the other windowcleaner kept saying he would come but he never did..

and also her neighbours windowcleaner kept saying the same....hmmmm

it wasnt a big job but...you have to go through the porch extension at the back and so just a bit annoying access wise...

i got stuck in...after learning the other windy did the velux...in and out...i hadnt even spotted that...hmmm

he was in the main room but didnt seem too:specs:specs:specs so i just carried on ....i was through and out again in no time and thought this isnt going to be as bad as what i thought...whilst cleaning the outside porch door...only then he popped out and pulled the other door closed and put his finger into the corner of one of the windows....hmmm anyway i must have passed as he just shut the door back and went back inside...its the sort of thing that spooks you though....

she did of course pop out whilst doing the front as quiet as a mouse and she was there...but then she disappeared again...and i was knocking on the door getting my nine quid...certainly less than half an hour..not bad for a new job...as she disappeared inside to get my money i had a hunch she was going to take a while so i went and put my ladders on...

i had to do it anyway as it came from someone who i had cleaned for a long time..but it wasnt a pia after all so maybe next time i will look at it in a different light...mind you ...theres always the pub opposite if i need to cheer me up..:whistle:

nighty night tuffers...

hey your confused....its alright i always send tuffers to sleep with my long stories...yeh i was supposed to be off on friday really so not a bad start to the weekend....its freeing up a bit now and i actually get to choose where i am going...yipee...well....until the phone rings in the morn...i wanna clean my own windows.....in and out....:rolleyes:

I wish I lived near you taytay, I'd take them off you. Why don't you just sell it as a round?
I have thought about It Tolish, but the ones I am getting rid if arent partucularly condensed....two or three or four on each street. Rounds soon build up Tolish, so long as you do a quality job.

However, current company policy clearly dictates that MILF customers must be kept on, no matter where they live.....I likes me MILF customers;)

hey thats what i used to do in the olden days....oh it felt good when a big chunk went..all the pressure suddenly gone..i miss the olden days...
its funny but it does seem to be the pia jobs who keep all my contact details..

i wasnt looking forward to the two i did on friday but after my chicken and ribs combo and two pints of ruddles i couldnt care..

i looked at the clock ...12.50pm and so thought i will just have ten minutes...as you do....at 1.25 i gradually came to life...

the trouble with this one is....they are always in....so he is a vicar and does his sermons in his office at the back and i try my best to get that office done when he isnt in it as him being just two foot away on the other side of the glass and waving and chatting spooks me somewhat...

so he went to make me a coffee...well knowing he would be in the kitchen i shot around the back and did his office ...only...he brought out a little stool and then my coffee and was about to do a spot of gardening whilst i cleaned the back windows....so i got lumbered making small talk anyway...

now not saying anything which will upset anyone hopefully as i may well suffer from parkinson's myself as my grandad had it..

but if you have it as bad as he has it....you shouldnt try to carry your cuppa as you work...

his wife had already told him off for spilling it on the new kitchen floor....oops

but it was entertaining to watch the little trail he was leaving...

this is the one that phoned for me two weeks ago and i pretended to forget as i couldna be bothered...

and so...seeing all the spiders and there resulting mess on the conny he must have tried to clean it...well sorry i aint getting all the ali marks off all over the white upvc...not to mention the horrific scratch mark where some bird muck had been..:eek:

anyway he said can i do his insides downstairs....and knowing he wanted it done i had my answer all ready...

oh i am sorry....the insurance wont cover me for insides at the moment as there has been a lot of spurious claims...

he did look sad ...and he said well we cant reach the kitchen windows over the counter...so i gave in and said i would sneak in and do them....oh and canyoujuster....do the conny inside as well...er...no..was my reply..but i said...everyone uses the nice new karcher window vac these days..mrs vicar perked up her ears then...oh i havent seen that...i explained how easy it was and said you can get it in argos..i should be on commision....got my money and did a runner...they are really rammy....yuk.

and so one pia done i thought what the hell lets get the other done...this being a new job but one look and i knew...she was going to be a bit of a :specs:specs:specs and she explained how the other windowcleaner kept saying he would come but he never did..

and also her neighbours windowcleaner kept saying the same....hmmmm

it wasnt a big job but...you have to go through the porch extension at the back and so just a bit annoying access wise...

i got stuck in...after learning the other windy did the velux...in and out...i hadnt even spotted that...hmmm

he was in the main room but didnt seem too:specs:specs:specs so i just carried on ....i was through and out again in no time and thought this isnt going to be as bad as what i thought...whilst cleaning the outside porch door...only then he popped out and pulled the other door closed and put his finger into the corner of one of the windows....hmmm anyway i must have passed as he just shut the door back and went back inside...its the sort of thing that spooks you though....

she did of course pop out whilst doing the front as quiet as a mouse and she was there...but then she disappeared again...and i was knocking on the door getting my nine quid...certainly less than half an hour..not bad for a new job...as she disappeared inside to get my money i had a hunch she was going to take a while so i went and put my ladders on...

i had to do it anyway as it came from someone who i had cleaned for a long time..but it wasnt a pia after all so maybe next time i will look at it in a different light...mind you ...theres always the pub opposite if i need to cheer me up..:whistle:

nighty night tuffers...
How is this even possible? lol:eek:

I have thought about It Tolish, but the ones I am getting rid if arent partucularly condensed....two or three or four on each street. Rounds soon build up Tolish, so long as you do a quality job.However, current company policy clearly dictates that MILF customers must be kept on, no matter where they live.....I likes me MILF customers;)
Yep I like that policy.:thumbsup:

I'll be happy with just one more day of work a month, a couple of next door neighbours to beef up the full days work I have, and a few commercial large windows for the experience. I still want to keep my handyman work going as I like the big jobs with less running around sometimes. I have a low bordom threshold too so everytime I am back on the windows I'm happy to be their- best job in the world.

Back