Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much

Smurf

I got chatting to a lady today whilst doing a quote and my free "guttering health check" as you do.

Apparently someone knocked her door yesterday and gave her a price there and then to clear all the guttering on 4 sides of the 4 bed detached house. Also clean all the guttering, fascias & soffits too.

They wrote the price down on a chepo flyer which the lady showed me.

How much do you think?

£50 for the lot plus a tenner to mend a leak in the guttering which they don't have:rolleyes:

well its funny you should say that ...awcs....so ..er...richard...hmmmm well what can you say about richard...

well i have another persona on the old interweb thingy....and i signed up as ...roofman..all roofing problems ..er...sorted..

well i long ago forgot about it but...the interweb...it ...dont forget...er....anything...

so richard phones up....my gutters leaking water onto my boiler flue.....

so i duly turned up ...only i was too late for richard...well i said two ...and got there for four....well you know how it is ...its almost impossible to estimate any time for a job.......just rang the two door bells knocked on the door and left thought well thats the end of richard......

but richard dont give up easy...er...i thought you were coming today....well...i did..but ...i was a bit later...oh...well i did ring the two bells on the door....oh....they dont work...ahhhh...well i did knock.....ahh but...its a big house and i may not have heard...yeh ....er...its not that big...its a standard four bed modern detached....

so any way...i said to richard,......well i will call on monday..

.ring ring both door bells..knock knock ..no reply...so ...time to sod off ...dont like richard any more ...especially as..i had taken a gamble that it was a gutter joint and had bought one....

well i hadnt actually looked when i had gone the first time and the second time the monday...well ...i hadnt looked again..well i had.... i saw this dandelion...from the ground in the downspout sitting pretty and decided that richard just needed his gutters cleaned....oh i wish i had bought the procam that smurfy goes on about ....you must read that post...its very good.../emoticons/biggrin.png

well richard is very persistent...i give him that..and he phoned me again ...i said well....i did ring both bells....oh...they dont work..:eek: well why the f...uc..k are they there...but no...i didnt say that....

well i knocked....oh its a large house and i may have been somewhere else....er...its a modern four bed detached ...not that big...so...where was the car on the drive?...oh i keep that in the garage...hmmmm richard is a tough cookie...:eek:

so there i was gutter joint duly purchased ...well i was kinda guessing ...cause i canna be **** d to go back and look so i said oh yes ...its y0ur gutter joint...well ...hey ..it was...so i was kinda right..

the particular type of gutter joint are a pain as they are really hard to clip unclip...and i could see straight away why it was leaking ...the clip on one side had broken...its common on this type of joint..

you see...its richard thats kinda scary....its hot at the mo and i arrived in my shorts and my sleeveless tshirt...but richard....he was in his cagool...and funny hat....

well he left me alone to replace the said leaking joint above the boiler flue.. for a bit...

and he was telling me how someone had cleaned his gutters recently...well i said....they dont look so clean to me..and the dandelion on the front gutter in the downspout....is defo dodgy...

well he said they were cleaned two months ago...hmmmm...i reckon a year ago...and so he said ...i will get them back...i said the professionals use a gutter vac...oh i read too many posts on here ..and he said yes they did that ...

so they charged £70 i found out....

so what about the dandelion growing in your downspout at the front...

well i couldnt see it anymore....had i imagined it...

i got my ladders off and went to look at the dandelion ...er..it wasnt there...the gutter was spotless...oooops..

okay i own up...i dont really have my brain engaged most of the time....i did it last week on wfp..went back to the car to fill up and trundled upto the side gate thinking oh...she has shut it...only when i opened it did i realise...dooooh wrong house..

.. again i had gone up the wrong driveway and looked in the wrong gutter....sorry missus...anyway..the said dandelion was still there but was suffering from a severe case of drought...and so ...i left that one with him...

any way ..i clipped the new joint in and got my money and did a runner....but i was a bit scared of richard..with his cagool and his hat and the curtains all drawn....just a thought....any way i got my money and did a runner......as you do.../emoticons/biggrin.png

he wants a quote for fixing the plastic end caps all around the house if anyone in sandbach fancies that job...access is a pain though unless you are allowed in the neighbours property..

i too scared to go back....something about the rags across all the back windows...and that cagool and funny hat..

but....i reckon ...he will be back on the phone soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway I mentioned it would take me most part of the day to do the job properly and gave her my price. Then took her to have a look at my kit in the back of the van:D

@cheapncheerful that was after I showed her the vids of her blocked gutters using my guttergoprocam:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a few requests for gutter clearing since thay awfull 2 day storm last week..how do you work out a price smurf?

Usually I just wing it bit got 5 to do quotes on and don't want to work all day for peanuts

4 3bed terrace jobbies and 1 4 bed detached

Sorry this is not going to be much help but I would say pricing is down to what you will be happy to get for each job to make it worth your while.

Ta smurf

I think I will work it out on my hourly rate and add a little for the pleasure;)

hey i got my tolish minimum standard pay rate now for gutter facia cleaning....but gutter clearout....hmmmm....i am thinking about a minimum price for all work....not forgetting the ars ehole tax....

.if i can get a definitive figure for all work....a minimum...i would stick to it....so how much for driveway cleaning by power washing......hmmmm complex formulae indeed...including the area variance factor as in....where you live....competition...driveway construction ....custy power or own power....i need stephen hawking to work it out for me....:rolleyes:

If he chats like that on a forum you can see why he gets no work done chatting to custys

Back