Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New kit list - approval/advice please

Scottie

Hi,

I am about to buy my kit and have deceided on what I need with thanks to you all on here giving me advice.

I just wanted to ask if anyone can look over my kit list and let me no if this all looks right and if it is all I need and I am missing anything that I actually need

I am going to be trad cleaning pole upstairs and normal trad down stairs. Until I get enough money to go wfp and expand my business more.

Here goes. And thnak you to anyone for your time in replying it really is a great help getting started. Will add my flyers and business card up soon for approval. I am getting there finally, woop!!!!

WINDOW EQUIPMENT LIST

Unger OptiLoc™ Telescopic Pole System £50.95

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/unger-optiloc-poles.html

Unger Angle Joint – Zinc £9.45

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/CJA00.html

Unger ErgoTec® Ninja T-Bar £8.85

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/unger-ergotec-ninja-t-bar.html

Unger ErgoTec® Ninja Washer Sleeve £8.55

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/unger-ergotec-ninja-washer-sleeve.html

Unger ErgoTec® Ninja Handle 14” £14.55

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/unger-ergotec-ninja-handle.html

Unger ErgoTec® Ninja Aluminium Channel 14” £8.45

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/SKU5456.html

Ettore Master Rubber X2 14” £3.90

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/SKU5332.html

Unger Big Bucket and lid 28L £16.35

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/SKU4744.html

SIEVE FOR BUCKET 28L £ 7.35

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/SKU4744.html

Unger ErgoTec® Ninja MicroWipe™ x3 £5.85

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/unger-ergotec-ninja-microwipe.html

Unger MicroWipe™ X2 £3.90

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/SKU4758.html

MicroWipe™ UltraLite Sill Cloth X2 £3.10

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/SKU4763.html

very comprehensive list you got there ,thatll more than get you going

i would add you are going to also need a 6 inch squeegee channel

Last edited:
More cloths and more rubbers. You'll be doing lots of first cleans so you'll go through a lot of these both.

Boarcity - Yes, dam right, thank you, for those smaller window with frames I will need to get in there. Thank you for that, I will check the unger ones they will fit on the end the 6" ones. Nice one!!

Tolishapurd - Yes your right, I was just going to get these to practce with and do some cleans when getting going, I hope I am busy but I think it will take time to get jobs.

Do you recommend on that site or a site where you can get good rubbers and cloths at good prices, I would like to get good quality rubbers not cheap or average, i tihnk where I am new the better the equipment the more it will help me.

Any recommendations on a 6" channel /handle and rubber to fit the pole I got, I want a decent 6" set up. Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far, glad I put this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why isn't they a ladder in that list ? We shouldn't as professional window cleaners be telling newbies to use poles in my opinion if your to scared to use a ladder then choose another business

Why isn't they a ladder in that list ? We shouldn't as professional window cleaners be telling newbies to use poles in my opinion if your to scared to use a ladder then choose another business
That sounded really harsh and it wasn't meant like that.

Poles are really hard to use , I've thousands of hours experience using them and for a beginner to want to do all upstairs with pole only you will find it really really hard to get a result to keep customers satisfied

That list is ok but I would go for unger ergotec handles and channels as the ninjas are big bulky channels and feel a lot different from normal ones..plus if you fancy modding your channels for less detailing you can't with ninjas

Also sometimes you knock the clips on the ends of the channel whilst putting in and out of boab causing the rubber to just slide out as that is what holds them in

You will need a boab (bucket on a belt to keep squeegee and applicator in while working) with ninja channels you need a ninja boab as the slots for squeegee are wider for the bigger channels.

have a look at ergotec as will save you a few quid and good quality

Kind of agree there. Even WFP'ers need them sometimes. Simple houses will be a lot quicker using ladders than faffing about using a pole. Just my opinion though. You will do a much better job up close to the glass than trying to blade it from 12' and then detail.

I agree tuffers

unless you are a wizard with a wag like wagga. polzn bladz or mark Henderson which has taken them years to get to that standard you will never do as good a job as with a ladder and good eyes

Kind of agree there. Even WFP'ers need them sometimes. Simple houses will be a lot quicker using ladders than faffing about using a pole. Just my opinion though. You will do a much better job up close to the glass than trying to blade it from 12' and then detail.
I always take a ladder , the other day I had a job that had egg threw on the window and frame if I only had a pole I simply would of failed my customer as I couldn't of done it, I've cleaned lots of jobs in the past well before the wfp era with poles , we cleaned every single sainsbury in the UK at one stage all Bannatyne and Virgin I've used poles on that many company's I could type forever I was bloody good with a pole at 15-30 foot and the moment you add a angle adapter , forget it if your not experienced you have no chance also the metal one in the list is very heavy and you get even more movement which makes working more difficult

I agree tuffersunless you are a wizard with a wag like wagga. polzn bladz or mark Henderson which has taken them years to get to that standard you will never do as good a job as with a ladder and good eyes
Most work with poles is office insides, shops and so, ideal for wagtails , first floor windows where usually the sill stops the blade reaching the bottom mmmmmm

I use my pole and 0° swiveloc for those big windows over bushes etc and for above connys etc but if the ladder reaches I use it

I use my pole and 0° swiveloc for those big windows over bushes etc and for above connys etc but if the ladder reaches I use it
Agree poles have there place for tradational window cleaners and the odd window with obstacles in the way there fantastic

Boarcity - Yes, dam right, thank you, for those smaller window with frames I will need to get in there. Thank you for that, I will check the unger ones they will fit on the end the 6" ones. Nice one!!
Tolishapurd - Yes your right, I was just going to get these to practce with and do some cleans when getting going, I hope I am busy but I think it will take time to get jobs.

Do you recommend on that site or a site where you can get good rubbers and cloths at good prices, I would like to get good quality rubbers not cheap or average, i tihnk where I am new the better the equipment the more it will help me.

Any recommendations on a 6" channel /handle and rubber to fit the pole I got, I want a decent 6" set up. Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far, glad I put this up.
For sill cloths you can use almost anything. I personally prefer cheap microfibers as they hold the dirt better whereas other cloths can just end up spreading it about.

For scrims/drying cloths I think wcw is the best if you buy in bulk. Remember that once you have used them they will need washing, so you don't want to get a new customer and have to mess about getting them dry. In Autumn and winter you will go through more cloths as they don't dry naturally in your van or on your belt. Even just another 2 or 3 would help you a lot. I only use one scrim a day in normal conditions, but when I first started it was about 3. If you are doing a lot of pole work you will struggle to keep your scrims out of the run off. So basically, why let an extra £15 worth of scrims slow you down?

Pureclenz is right in what he says, and unfortunately I think you're going to find out the hard way. Pole cleaning sucks- its hard work even just for one house, but for a whole day I couldn't even imagine. I think you'll end up buying a WFP sooner then you think. I'll wait to see how this unfolds.

And Davey is right- the ninja squeegee is unsuitable for this. That style of squeegee is for larger windows (as in shop front) where you use channels anywhere up to a metre long. Therefor the channels are very thick and heavy in order to be stiff. For a normal domestic house with a 14" channel the ninja is just overkill, and will make your working day a lot harder then it needs to be- not to mention that the ninja gets very bad reviews anyway.

theres so many tools to choose from online now it must be very confusing for anybody starting out now. the markets burgeoning

a lot of the choice is down to individual preferrence

agree with the ladder needed too. i cant remember where u are? but if not too far away you could come out for a few hours with my gang ,for a gentle introduction, before you buy any tools could be well worth it ,up to you

Last edited:
theres so many tools to choose from online now it must be very confusing for anybody starting out now. the markets burgeoning
That's whats good about this place- you can get lots of advice. ...but it only works if you follow it. :rolleyes:

a lot of the choice is down to individual preferrence

agree with the ladder needed too. i cant remember where u are? but if not too far away you could come out for a few hours with my gang ,for a gentle introduction, before you buy any tools could be well worth it ,up to you
Free training /emoticons/smile.png nice one m8

My worst time with a pole ever was in a Virgin active gym downstairs was the main pool and it was a big swimming pool the gym equipment was upstairs and the middle of upstairs was partition glass about 8 foot high encircling the pool down below, so here's me at 12 at night in my swim gear in the pool looking up at all this glass I'd say 25 ft up now at that high you have to work your pole behind you to lower it while my dry friend swaped applicator and blade the pole filled with water and when lifted weighed a flipping ton and while cleaning is slowly came out in my face, job took 12 hours, next time we actually dropped tower scaffold in the pool and worked off that took 8 hours before I left that company we wfp the job and it took 45 minutes lol pure water rocks /emoticons/wink.png

If you're anywhere near me you are more than welcome to come out for a bit also

I am biased against ninja as I mod my channels

Asda glass cleaning cloth im car section..small but only 75p ..have a black strip on one side that needs cutting off but means more cheap cloths..

Cheers for the replies, wow, so many people have different ways of cleaning, some say no dont do trad its old hat, going up ladders etc, WFP the future! Some say do pole work and lots on here do full time or part use on hard to get windows. I think its down to the individual.

I have been out following some cleaners, and the wfp guy was so fast, have to admit that, I saw a guy do two houses with pole work the unger pole, he seemed to do it pretty quick, changing the T BAR squeegee and finishing, he whizzed through it, then the ladder guy at my own house takes a lot longer as has to lag the ladders round. I just thought and trying out the pole work it seemed ok and is easy to use, just need a good tech and practice and yes I know this will take me time, but I am a hard worker and perfectionist, so I will always carry out a clean to the best I can, and the DIY mod wagga gave me when he replied is great for detailing and will clear up any water marks if left round the edge. I will only be doing upstairs windows on houses, so its not that high, not like big shops/flats etc. I felt comfortable doing the pole work when had a go and enjoyed it, this beats living a hell in my previous job lol.

Serious,thank you for the advice I have followed so much on here.

Daveyboy1 - I will change my kit list to ungers instead of the ninja, as thats sounds better for me and less bulky for pole work, deffo good advice. Do you recommend what handle, squeegee and rubber I should use? Thanks again.

It is really kool hearing all the differing advice and I may well move to ladders, but I like the pole work and want to master it, I by no means say it will be easy or quick but I will do it well. I have spoke to people on here on PM and other media, whom do pole work all day with wagtails etc unger and visa versa, they all are happy and say thats best for them, wagga, is good and got some good advice for doing what I want to do.

Thanks for the offer of coming out working, that would be good and is very nice of you to offer too, what a great place this is for help, also to purecleanz ha ha, dont work, it was not harsh, its nice you are tryign to inform me. I am stubbon ass and will try master the pole work, plenty of people do it and I think I can. Working hard and earnign just more thna i was on in my job from hell is all I want, so speed and pole work is not an issue, If I want to speed up try another way to clean I will in time, I can always adapt if need be, I dont need to earn much to beat my old wage so if I can do that I am laughing, I dont need a full on day like probably alot of you guys do, so I will be happy plugging along. Just gets me out of hell and being outside, where I belong and I actually think window cleanign is a honourable job and a clear indication of you have been sucsessful and run your own business rather than being a number in an office.

I will deffo let you all no how it all goes, Ill probably fail knowing me and end up back in ****, but I have to give it a go /emoticons/smile.png

Thank you again to all of you for repling and to those that will shoot me down some more lol.

Cheers for the replies, wow, so many people have different ways of cleaning, some say no dont do trad its old hat, going up ladders etc, WFP the future! Some say do pole work and lots on here do full time or part use on hard to get windows. I think its down to the individual.
I have been out following some cleaners, and the wfp guy was so fast, have to admit that, I saw a guy do two houses with pole work the unger pole, he seemed to do it pretty quick, changing the T BAR squeegee and finishing, he whizzed through it, then the ladder guy at my own house takes a lot longer as has to lag the ladders round. I just thought and trying out the pole work it seemed ok and is easy to use, just need a good tech and practice and yes I know this will take me time, but I am a hard worker and perfectionist, so I will always carry out a clean to the best I can, and the DIY mod wagga gave me when he replied is great for detailing and will clear up any water marks if left round the edge. I will only be doing upstairs windows on houses, so its not that high, not like big shops/flats etc. I felt comfortable doing the pole work when had a go and enjoyed it, this beats living a hell in my previous job lol.

Serious,thank you for the advice I have followed so much on here.

Daveyboy1 - I will change my kit list to ungers instead of the ninja, as thats sounds better for me and less bulky for pole work, deffo good advice. Do you recommend what handle, squeegee and rubber I should use? Thanks again.

It is really kool hearing all the differing advice and I may well move to ladders, but I like the pole work and want to master it, I by no means say it will be easy or quick but I will do it well. I have spoke to people on here on PM and other media, whom do pole work all day with wagtails etc unger and visa versa, they all are happy and say thats best for them, wagga, is good and got some good advice for doing what I want to do.

Thanks for the offer of coming out working, that would be good and is very nice of you to offer too, what a great place this is for help, also to purecleanz ha ha, dont work, it was not harsh, its nice you are tryign to inform me. I am stubbon ass and will try master the pole work, plenty of people do it and I think I can. Working hard and earnign just more thna i was on in my job from hell is all I want, so speed and pole work is not an issue, If I want to speed up try another way to clean I will in time, I can always adapt if need be, I dont need to earn much to beat my old wage so if I can do that I am laughing, I dont need a full on day like probably alot of you guys do, so I will be happy plugging along. Just gets me out of hell and being outside, where I belong and I actually think window cleanign is a honourable job and a clear indication of you have been sucsessful and run your own business rather than being a number in an office.

I will deffo let you all no how it all goes, Ill probably fail knowing me and end up back in ****, but I have to give it a go /emoticons/smile.png

Thank you again to all of you for repling and to those that will shoot me down some more lol.
M8 get a ladder and do your work from it ditch the pole idea it won't work, you will end up with customers who aren't 100% happy and eventually you'll lose them , do if from a ladder and build yourself a strong business eventually that will grow enough to get a waterfed pole

Back