Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is it time i re-assessed my income ?

LeeWard90

The more I read on this site the more I feel I'm being under paid.

My work is traditional method and my work is all situated on a council estate in Manchester.

The houses are on average, 3 bed with 3 front windows and 4 on the back, the windows are around 4x3ft It takes me a comfortable ten minutes per house, I charge on average £4 but this is as much as these customers are willing to pay. I can easily earn £100 from 9-3 and that's twice as much the average Joe can make around here and that's with a 9-5 job. My question is, is it worth my while saving up and buying a round in a different area? with maybe wealthier residents.

Thanks in advance. Lee

I wouldn't buy a round. Just start canvassing/advertising in an area you fancy and see what develops. I work across a wide area and have different prices in each area.

tuffers bang on canvass another area pick up the work

then put your prices up to £5, when you have plenty graft,, if they are not happy drop them , you have to think off your business

they will be gd houses for £5

My work is traditional method and my work is all situated on a council estate in Manchester.

The houses are on average, 3 bed with 3 front windows and 4 on the back, the windows are around 4x3ft It takes me a comfortable ten minutes per house, I charge on average £4 but this is as much as these customers are willing to pay. I can easily earn £100 from 9-3 and that's twice as much the average Joe can make around here and that's with a 9-5 job. My question is, is it worth my while saving up and buying a round in a different area? with maybe wealthier residents.

Thanks in advance. Lee
Must admit Lee, I try to avoid the council estates and aim for the wealthier areas, but £4 per house does sound very cheap. The few council houses that I do, I charge £8 to £10....some people charge more around here, but in cheaper towns charge less. Nearly all of my customers are in affluent villages and so the going rate seems to be pretty high. Its also much nicer to be working in the picturesque villages....its a win win!. Prices are very much driven and determined by the area you live in. Having said all that, so many people are working on the minimum wage and could only dream of earning £100.00 a day like you. Perhaps you shouldnt put so much preasure on yourself and ask yourself the following:

1) Do my wages allow me to pay all my bills, save a little and enjoy life....a few drinks, the odd holiday or whatever floats your boat.

2) Am I happy and content

If the answer to these two questions is yes, then relax, dont panic and carry on enjoying your life. Keep developing your business, of course, but dont start worrying about what other people on here say they earn.

as u already know the score on the council estate ,i would simply seek out more of it . i prefer council estate work myself because its got the loyalty you just dont get elsewhere . rake in the new work blindly,once you find its getting too much,employ, parttimer at first

hmmm you do have to be careful if you move too far out....it costs a lot in time and petrol...

i have a new one on thursday and she said....its only twenty minutes away...but...thats forty minutes in total in the car...makes you think...

hmmm you din the have to be careful if you move too far out....it costs a lot in time and petrol...
i have a new one on thursday and she said....its only twenty minutes away...but...thats forty minutes in total in the car...makes you think...
Condense and condense cnc....so that you hardly have to drive In the day

I can only go by what I earn in the area I'm in

Canvass elsewhere and put your prices up a quid where you are

Even if you lost 1 in 5 customers you would be on the same money for a quarter less work

put your prices up 50p. if you spend 40 hour per week working, due to annual rises in the minimum wage you will have to find nearly £400 every year. Cost go up, why should your prices not. I dont charge less than £5.50, as a minimum, and for a house with 7, two paned windows, i would charge around the £7 mark.

I also have a massive council estate. I charge 10 per flat but it's hard work. They are all good payers but I can make more doing houses round the area. I am selling the round but still cleaning it as I never have a issue with payment on the estate.

I've had low success rate canvassing in the past, I'm thinking of moving onto WFP next year so maybe buy some WFP pole work in a 'posh' area to get me started, a price increase could be the answer, like many of you have said, even if i lose customers I'm still going to be on slightly more money for slightly less work, and yes mrtaytay i've gotta think i'm getting on just fine for now, the good thing about council estates is just how compact the work is, i pretty much just walk to each house one after the other. Thanks Smurf /emoticons/smile.png I see this site as a great source of information for my job lol

one gd point with that work you have is your car is parked up all day so your saving on fuel. As you have said your going onto WFP soon you will do them houses even quicker , bang a £1 on them hayho your making more cash

Thanks in advance. Lee

It could worth buying a new round in a different area; but you would have to judge if it is worth paying for it. You don’t necessarily need wealthier residents, just reasonable and fair customers who are willing to pay a reasonable price for your service.

In general, look at your production time and cleaning method, prices, and customers. You can just improve one thing, but it’s not always good to do this, much better to do all 4.

Back