Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Down to earth list for newbies

WCF

Help Support WCF:

A

abs

This is all you need to start your window cleaning business cheap as possible.

1, 11 rung ladder

2, bucket

3, 10 inch applicator

4, 10 inch squeegee

5 , 2 scrims 1 for wet 1 for dry

6, washing up liquid

Keeping it basic if your on a tight budget

You will also need an extension pole for awkward windows and a scraper of some sort but that is about it

and of course..the knowledge available in the posts on here:D

and the will to keep going when your body says stop.

and being able to put up with peoples....who can be very strange.....of course i include myself....no one stranger than me....:rofl:

You will also need an extension pole for awkward windows and a scraper of some sort but that is about it
and of course..the knowledge available in the posts on here:D
and the will to keep going when your body says stop.

and being able to put up with peoples....who can be very strange.....of course i include myself....no one stranger than me....:rofl:
Agree totally nothing stranger than general public

+ 6inch and 18inch channels. (no point cleaning a huge window with a 10)

+ Pack of rubbers (If you get a nick in your rubber you're screwed for the day)

+a few more cloths (If you drop a cloth in a birdbath like I did today :rolleyes:, you're screwed)

If someone wants to start a business, they should be prepared to put in a bit of an investment.

and probably as mentioned in a previous post....the most important and basic of all....a pen and paper...you have to leave a note when you have been....and you have to remember what you have done....(says he who never writes down what he does:eek:)

Good info, Cheapncheerful - good point about the pad and pen and TolishAPurd, your correct you do have to put in £££ to be ready.

Regards the pad n pen, so you agree with custy when you take them on a time etc each 4 weeks etc and if they can leave a gate open or will be in, but if they are not, whats the procedure you follow, do you leave a note in the door and when do you collect, somthing I was thinking about and I jotted down what I will do, but it would be good to hear how you guys cover all that and if you have methods in place?

Cheers

Leave a note on back of a business card saying you have cleaned and leave email address for them to pay you by paypal to save you knocking for the money..

Also text night before to unlock gate etc helps

Good info, Cheapncheerful - good point about the pad and pen and TolishAPurd, your correct you do have to put in £££ to be ready.
Regards the pad n pen, so you agree with custy when you take them on a time etc each 4 weeks etc and if they can leave a gate open or will be in, but if they are not, whats the procedure you follow, do you leave a note in the door and when do you collect, somthing I was thinking about and I jotted down what I will do, but it would be good to hear how you guys cover all that and if you have methods in place?

Cheers
If the customer has a gate with a lock you can't open yourself, then I text the customer the night before to leave it open. If they forget to leave it open anyway, which does happen from time to time, I just do the front of the house and charge accordingly. Even though its half the house, I usually charge around 2 thirds the price of the full clean. Although if its my fault because I forgot to text I will make the effort to get the back done another day that week (not had to do this yet though).

Suddenly this simple list is getting very complicated , I was on a budget when I started and I spent £85 only /emoticons/smile.png

Suddenly this simple list is getting very complicated , I was on a budget when I started and I spent £85 only /emoticons/smile.png
Agreed mate. But houses are complicated. Tiny windows, big windows, windows you can reach, etc. If you are a DIYer that wants to clean his own house then you can get away with a list as basic as this (assuming it all works on you house). But if you are offering a service then you need to be able to cover the simple things that can be overcome easily IMHO.

you should be able to get started for £200 absolute tops and thats for brand new items

and probably as mentioned in a previous post....the most important and basic of all....a pen and paper...you have to leave a note when you have been....and you have to remember what you have done....(says he who never writes down what he does:eek:)
What about water, you need water in the bucket /emoticons/smile.png

My list comes to £130. That is ok. The flyers and cards and logo are £115 all in with vista print. then its out to get it started, oh he web site and stuff too.

now you would think i would learn about water after friday and the no outside tap affair.....why didnt i think of water:rofl:

i searched the garden i searched my car i used the dregs from the boab...and still have i put the most precious thing in my car boot....nope...i live and learn..

I they are defo the very basics you need but as mentioned newbies will quite quickly need other things. /emoticons/wink.png Oh signs for those lovely people who just look for an opportunity to sue probably more so for wfp.

Start with bare minimum and you will soon find you're spending any profit on stuff you realise you need

i would build it up as you need it.....but beware....you will be surprised at what you need.

..and so lets mention my early start on monday morn...nice six am start...i was in a sheepskin woolie coat and a black woolie cardy ontop of my normal work clothes and my woolie hat and tuffers gloves....by the finish...at 11.45 ....i wanted my shorts..that is not to mention the good ole british rainy season .:eek:..which is yet to arrive here....

well daddy did say....in his words of wisdom....you canna take it off if you dinna have it on...and you canna put it on if you dinna have it with you.....and no...he wasnt scottish../emoticons/biggrin.png

Start with bare minimum and you will soon find you're spending any profit on stuff you realise you need
Yep. Not to mention paying delivery charges on each order like I did when I started. Probably placed 4 or 5 orders in the early days.

Same here..just recently spent 500 squids and still buying stuff

dropped 0° today from above conny height right on pointy end of channel

Old brass channel so soft and completely out of shape down whole lenth now

stainless ones from wintecs on the way

Back