Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning roadsigns

S

SolarPanelCleaning

Noticed recently that many road signs round here are illegible, due to dirt and grime. Don't know if it's just a rural thing.

Was thinking of contacting council and seeing if I could offer my services.

Dirty signs give the county a bad image innit.

Any thoughts.......?

Take a before and after photo of one and send it to the council. Tell them it's a health and safety issue and you are prepared to clean them. /emoticons/smile.png

good idea tuffers , theres another angle i read about recently , a guy was cleaning a few in his area and when he finished he would put up a small sign underneath stating the signage was cleaned for free by his company etc, obviously you would need to contact your local council to get the go ahead

Noticed recently that many road signs round here are illegible, due to dirt and grime. Don't know if it's just a rural thing.Was thinking of contacting council and seeing if I could offer my services.

Dirty signs give the county a bad image innit.

Any thoughts.......?
Hmm, I guess it depends on the council in the area. Noticed something similar a while back here - lots of street and road signs covered in graffiti. Thought there was a huge opportunity (using same logic as Tuffers - health and safety) but seems like nobody cares. Turns out there is a company that replaces them for about 5-6 times the cost of cleaning them and then bills the council. Sometimes logic goes out the window.

How much could you reasonably charge for a service like that? Just thinking that there would be a lot of travel between signs and not entirely sure how you would make it a viable service. I do think there is opportunity in sign cleaning for businesses though.

We be a total waste of time in my area as the highway agency have their own traffic sign cleaners.

We be a total waste of time in my area as the highway agency have their own traffic sign cleaners.
Here in Derby the council have a tipper with a 1000 ltr that they drive around watering plants with also seen them cleaning road signs too .A lot of them will be in very dangerous positions and I should imagine if your vehicle isn't kitted out with all the usual warning signs flashing beacons and such whey wouldn't consider it , flogging a dead horse I reckon /emoticons/sad.png

Hmm, I guess it depends on the council in the area. Noticed something similar a while back here - lots of street and road signs covered in graffiti. Thought there was a huge opportunity (using same logic as Tuffers - health and safety) but seems like nobody cares. Turns out there is a company that replaces them for about 5-6 times the cost of cleaning them and then bills the council. Sometimes logic goes out the window.
How much could you reasonably charge for a service like that? Just thinking that there would be a lot of travel between signs and not entirely sure how you would make it a viable service. I do think there is opportunity in sign cleaning for businesses though.
Pricing might be tricky Declan and I suppose there are more signs in towns and cities than in rural areas.....but the rural areas will be easier....less traffic and hassle. Probably best to have a ride round and be guided by your hourly rate.

Be sure you know where you're going, when looking for road signs to clean.....

Road-Sign-Lost.jpeg

Back