Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil

Carbon gutter poles?

Neil

Am looking to upgrade to carbon fibre gutter poles but don't want to spend thousands lol, looking for really lightweight ones, anyone got any links or actually using carbon poles for gutter cleaning to see how light and good they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smurf

I use aerospace grade t1 ali poles from omni that are not particularly lightweight but are very robust as have taken loads of abuse. Maybe if I did loads of 3 storey work then I would contemplate getting carbon poles instead to make the job a bit easier. However being carbon I would not expect them to last very long compared to the ones I use now.

There are a few suppliers selling hybrid or full carbon guttervac poles which you can find info on the net. Some maybe cheaper than others but I suppose that's down to the quality and material of the pole also suppliers markup so who knows which ones are best.:rolleyes:

Neil

You see gutters that are set back on the roof on a loft conversion ? How would you get to them smurf? I've had one and it's sooo difficult to try and get the pole up and at the angle to get to to them

Smurf

On really awkward bits of a property to save struggling I tend to use a ladder as a fulcrum to take the weight of the pole.

This pic give you the general idea what I'm on about

IMG_0023.JPG.cc2b06da0d94f69c8af45a9252c1971c.JPG

If it's a two storey home with dormer windows set back in the roof I can use the same principle if need be but I would check the guttering first with a guttercam to see if they need doing or not as most of the time they are clear.

Neil

Still very awkward I bet with heavy poles smurf , your right though a camera comes in handy for that sort of thing

Smurf

Carbon guttervac poles would be easier to use for sure on 3 storey and/or on acute angles but I'm not convinced they would last me very long at all. I still might get at set to try them out though.

Interesting to note that ppl use to buy gardiner wfp base sections a while ago then alex started supplying grippamax with carbon guttervac poles but he don't sell them himself.

http://www.grippatank.co.uk/vacuum/high-level-vacuum-poles-kits-spares/carbon-poles-upto-60ft.html

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hM0iCmAgz0[/media]

I would not be without my gopro camera now as saves me loads of time/hassle checking gutters on quotes and actually doing a guttervac job.

Neil
This is an interesting vid as includes some tips on how to use a guttervac.

[media]

[/media]

Would love to have a sky vac but paying £2500 for the kit is ridiculous!!!!

Neil
Carbon guttervac poles would be easier to use for sure on 3 storey and/or on acute angles but I'm not convinced they would last me very long at all. I still might get at set to try them out though.

Interesting to note that ppl use to buy gardiner wfp base sections a while ago then alex started supplying grippamax with carbon guttervac poles but he don't sell them himself.

http://www.grippatank.co.uk/vacuum/high-level-vacuum-poles-kits-spares/carbon-poles-upto-60ft.html

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hM0iCmAgz0[/media]

I would not be without my gopro camera now as saves me loads of time/hassle checking gutters on quotes and actually doing a guttervac job.

The grippamax ones are a good price I think , omnipole sell them a £100 a section plus vat that's the cheapest I have found so far

Neil

Are there any discounts on the grippamax gutter carbon poles that anyone knows of? E.g forum member or anything like that lol

Neil
Are there any discounts on the grippamax gutter carbon poles that anyone knows of? E.g forum member or anything like that lol

@Gav

J D

If the prices for grippamax poles are anything like the prices they quote for installing a hot water system then you'll pay through the nose !

Rascal

First post got to start somewhere!

Smurf how are ya? Remember me?!

Now to the point....

If you do gutter vac work get carbon poles. I first had omni alloy poles and using carbon poles makes sooooo much difference

Don't buy skyvac they are crap got through a set in a year with many many repairs.....

I now have the gardiner poles from grippatank and they are brilliant. Even if I break them I will just keep replacing them as I would never go back to alloy, it's just back breaking. I first had an alloy wfp from omni and when I went to carbon I was like why didn't I do this sooner....

Tip: If you order the poles direct from gardiner and buy more than 3 they give quite a discount, if only I knew that before I ordered from grippatank!

Neil

Now to the point....

If you do gutter vac work get carbon poles. I first had omni alloy poles and using carbon poles makes sooooo much difference

Don't buy skyvac they are **** got through a set in a year with many many repairs.....

I now have the gardiner poles from grippatank and they are brilliant. Even if I break them I will just keep replacing them as I would never go back to alloy, it's just back breaking. I first had an alloy wfp from omni and when I went to carbon I was like why didn't I do this sooner....

Tip: If you order the poles direct from gardiner and buy more than 3 they give quite a discount, if only I knew that before I ordered from grippatank!

How much you pay for them rascal and at what height?

Rascal
How much you pay for them rascal and at what height?

It was about £610 for 5 x 6ft, one lightweight tool and a holdall for the poles. I think you can get just the poles from gardiner for about £500. It's not an offer they advertise anywhere....

Rascal
Hi & welcome avatar_s.pngRascal... How are things going ? :thumbsup:

All good smurf. Went over to the acs forum the other day, it's like a morgue over there these days?!

Gav
All good smurf. Went over to the acs forum the other day, it's like a morgue over there these days?!

Wow what happened. Not been their for some time. Just popped over for a nosy, it's pretty darn quiet!

I think a nice sale to me and a merge of the forum to this one would fix it nicely! :666:

Smurf

That's the trouble with forums as one min they seem to be busy and the next they seemed to have died a death.

Gav

Yeah it's a fine art I must say. Have had our moments, is always something I am aware of with our forum.

Smurf

So @Rascal what is the difference between the gardiner and the skyvac carbon poles?

It was about £610 for 5 x 6ft, one lightweight tool and a holdall for the poles. I think you can get just the poles from gardiner for about £500. It's not an offer they advertise anywhere....

Now to the point....

Don't buy skyvac they are **** got through a set in a year with many many repairs.....

Rascal

well @Smurf the skyvac poles I had were just a big pile of :turd:

They started to split and crack within the first month of using them. First at the ends where the sections overlap, I ended up gluing alloy cuffs over all the ends to reinforce them which just added to the weight. Most of the breaks happened when bringing the pole down to the ground or lifting it up with 3+ sections together or when working over a garage or conservatory. Then they all started splitting in the middle meaning more repairs and more weight. Just a load of crap really. Before this I was using some old carbon fishing pole extensions I had which where brilliant same size as the skyvac poles so I could use them together. I still have the fishing poles, I only broke one of them when I trod on it!! I'm not knocking skyvac they just don't have the experience with carbon as Gardiner do.

I notice skyvac now do a 52mm pole for the same price as the 44mm. The weight they advertise is 310 grams which is for the 44mm I think. The gardiner are 6 ft not 5ft and weigh 305 grams and are 49mm at the big end. The gardiner poles also have a little inner alloy ring on the male end to protect the carbon and a plastic protector at the top. The plastic bits have all come off and I had to glue them back on but that's only minor! I paid £100 per section from skyvac as I didn't need any hose or tools. Just looked at the website and it's £756 for 4 5ft poles with hose tools and a bag!!!!

Even if skyvac have improved their poles it's a no brainer really. I don't know anyone who has a bad word to say about gardiners kit.

I've only been using the new poles a couple of months but so far no problem. 5ft sections are a bit easier to work with imo but grippa tank have just started selling a half 3ft section......

and yes I am on commission from gardiner :P

Smurf

Thanks for that as I always thought carbon even though would be easier to use would also not be up to the job. I'm still not convinced carbon poles would last me very long either.

Maybe @Alex Gardiner would be interested to send me out a set to try :rolleyes:

Rascal

c'mon @Smurf get your wallet out....from what i've been reading on here your on your way to your first million

All I do at this time of year is gutter cleans, 3 jobs a day sometimes, i'm still knackered at the end of the day using carbon poles!

If I had to buy a new set every year I would............

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.