Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Variable flow inline valves

Ian Fisher

I was wondering about replacing my Ball valve which is essentially on/off with some sort of variable type if one exists - rational being that I feel I'm wasting a lots of water whilst scrubbing ie I want the pressure turned down say the equiv of 19 on the digiflow but I want 40 whilst rinsing ...is there a valve that could regulate the flow down if i had the pump set at 40 without damaging the pump ?

This applies especially on wash downs where you need to higher pressure on the gutters but eonly need a dribble whilst scrubbing and its too far (time consuming) to keep walking back to the digiflow to adjust...

Does this make sense ?!:confused: Thoughts, ideas/suggestions please !

You can turn the flow down with an in-line tap to a certain extent. The high flow rate of 40 will help rinse while you're scrubbing. If you're scrubbing at 19 the water ain't going anywhere fast and you will need to rinse more. If I need to rinse part of a window again, say I see a potential line of spots, I'll have the flow on but kink the pole hose and let it go a tiny bit so only a small amount will come out, so I can concentrate on one tiny part of the glass.

HTH

I was wondering about replacing my Ball valve which is essentially on/off with some sort of variable type if one exists - rational being that I feel I'm wasting a lots of water whilst scrubbing ie I want the pressure turned down say the equiv of 19 on the digiflow but I want 40 whilst rinsing ...is there a valve that could regulate the flow down if i had the pump set at 40 without damaging the pump ?
This applies especially on wash downs where you need to higher pressure on the gutters but eonly need a dribble whilst scrubbing and its too far (time consuming) to keep walking back to the digiflow to adjust...

Does this make sense ?!:confused: Thoughts, ideas/suggestions please !

How you worked out how much you will save, or is your tank size?

It can at times feel like you are wasting water, when scrubbing a small area for any length of time, it’s just a part of the job.

Pure water might cost you anywhere from £0.25p - £0.50p per hour; or you could factor in an average of £0.15p per customers, so the cost isn’t really much, maybe just the thought of wasting water – if you get a bigger tank, and it wont bother you so much.

You will have to work out your own pure water cost, and then you can see how many pennies you can save per customers. I would advise not to bother and concentrate more on your pricing, and then you can give pure water away to your customers.

How you worked out how much you will save, or is your tank size?
It can at times feel like you are wasting water, when scrubbing a small area for any length of time, it’s just a part of the job.

Pure water might cost you anywhere from £0.25p - £0.50p per hour; or you could factor in an average of £0.15p per customers, so the cost isn’t really much, maybe just the thought of wasting water – if you get a bigger tank, and it wont bother you so much.

You will have to work out your own pure water cost, and then you can see how many pennies you can save per customers. I would advise not to bother and concentrate more on your pricing, and then you can give pure water away to your customers.
Richard its not really a cost thing more of the Eco part in me ...!!!

You can turn the flow down with an in-line tap to a certain extent. The high flow rate of 40 will help rinse while you're scrubbing. If you're scrubbing at 19 the water ain't going anywhere fast and you will need to rinse more. If I need to rinse part of a window again, say I see a potential line of spots, I'll have the flow on but kink the pole hose and let it go a tiny bit so only a small amount will come out, so I can concentrate on one tiny part of the glass.
HTH
Cheers Tuffers agreed i have been varying the flow a little with the tap - Its just the Eco warrior in me that wants to save a bit

Cheers Tuffers agreed i have been varying the flow a little with the tap - Its just the Eco warrior in me that wants to save a bit
Are you using RO? Dorset is hard water isn't it? How much are you wasting with the RO? As @Richard says it cost pennies and you've got to use what you need to earn the dosh.

Are you using RO? Dorset is hard water isn't it? How much are you wasting with the RO? As @Richard says it cost pennies and you've got to use what you need to earn the dosh.
390 at the tap - yes i'm using an Ro system but i'm not metered ......so its just the crystal cost which so far seems reasonable but minimising any cost at the moment is a good thing especially as i'm not necessarily rushed off my feet....

Ian what size tank do you have?

390 at the tap - yes i'm using an Ro system but i'm not metered ......so its just the crystal cost which so far seems reasonable but minimising any cost at the moment is a good thing especially as i'm not necessarily rushed off my feet....

Ian window cleaning is pretty eco friendly compared to some industries, but you could collect and purify rain water.

Latest Posts

Back