Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie after advice on the payments and collecting your wages

Scottie

Hi,

Just after some advice on how you guys conduct your work in terms of payment. What form of payment do you take. DO you have a lot of hassle getting monies off people. I will of course ask for cash after the job is completed and if they are out what is your process in order to get payment, do you wit until a few days when a few have not paid and go out and collect?

Just thought I would ask, if there are any tips, the best ways to conduct it all.

Thank you.

Scottie

I guess it depends on the type of customer and where you are based. What works in one place, doesn't in another.

I leave a card with payment details, I don't collect. I accept cheques, bank transfer, PayPal and online payment. I ask for payment within 5 days, though this doesn't always happen.

Most people are honest, and will pay just fine. Some forget now and again, and I allow 2 missed payments, after which no more cleans and statements go out. Though I only need to do this now and again. If these is still an issue, it's up to you, I may follow up, and I may just drop them.

If you are waiting for them to send you payment, then remember that people have a lot on their minds and on their todo list these days, so the ones that regulalry pay within 1-2 days of cleaning are the exception, rather than the rule. A week or 2 is more common.

I do also offer to text people the evening before, and they leave the cash for me somewhere safe e.g. in a plastic bad under the flower pot at the back door etc.

I guess it depends on the type of customer and where you are based. What works in one place, doesn't in another.
I leave a card with payment details, I don't collect. I accept cheques, bank transfer, PayPal and online payment. I ask for payment within 5 days, though this doesn't always happen.

Most people are honest, and will pay just fine. Some forget now and again, and I allow 2 missed payments, after which no more cleans and statements go out. Though I only need to do this now and again. If these is still an issue, it's up to you, I may follow up, and I may just drop them.

If you are waiting for them to send you payment, then remember that people have a lot on their minds and on their todo list these days, so the ones that regulalry pay within 1-2 days of cleaning are the exception, rather than the rule. A week or 2 is more common.

I do also offer to text people the evening before, and they leave the cash for me somewhere safe e.g. in a plastic bad under the flower pot at the back door etc.
Thanks for the reply, much appriciated. I will do cash if they are in, cheques and transfer I think, I no or window cleaner comes round if we are not in and collects it, but he says he waits a few days and goes out on a run to all the people whom are out standing that week, he is fine with that. I just hope I dont get the run about lol. I guess I will make sure I set out payment details when I sign them up.

I think then if, I have custys that are out I will leave a card with bank transfer details on. I dont use pay pal, does that take money away when you transfer it to your bank account.

Thanks again.

in the early days you will get the cast-offs,the rubbish customers are out there just waiting for a newbie. if you sense they are rubbish dont go past 1 clean without getting paid and better to drop them than try to make them come good

@boarcity is right, there are some obvious time wasters, and you will get your share when you start up. Don't let them waste your time and money. The reason you will get them, that the other experienced window cleaners have already dropped them.

in the early days you will get the cast-offs,the rubbish customers are out there just waiting for a newbie. if you sense they are rubbish dont go past 1 clean without getting paid and better to drop them than try to make them come good
This is so true. Look out for phrases such as "my last window cleaner retired" or "my last cleaner just stopped coming". I've got one on my to drop list very soon that's used up two strikes and I reckon she was ditched by her last windy.

As for payment, I just have a PayPal payment tab on my website. Orcash/cheque under a door mat. PayPal does take a cut, but with the amount of time it saves me collecting they are welcome to it.

Part of the new job experience is to get a gutted feeling in the 1st and 2nd year as you admit to yourself that you have a "**** round" comprised largely of rubbish customers. you must realize that its no reflection on you, as theyre predators, determined to milk you. theyv seen it all before,but you havent

a consistent drive to find new customers will allow you to let them go sooner rather than later ,you must.

yep always some sorting out with new custys....me....they pay or they dont get done....simples i too busy to chase these days...having said that......

i did a big job a couple of weeks ago....oh i will pay by online banking so i sent her the details by text....and then i begin to sweat...its an empty house up for sale.....i was going to get all heavy but just faced up to her and gave her my card again stating the bank details are on the back....and i planned to go big red invoice overdue today....but...she paid yesterday:cheers:

i still get the odd ones but i will not collect unless i am in the area.....and they wont get done again until they pay....four times i have been back to one house.....the last time the daughter said...my mums gone to live in london and there is only me here now....well sorry ...you aint getting me to clean em again...

now off to get my two fivers ...one by the bins...er...i hope they guy mended his gate....:itwasntme:cause last time i pulled it shut the handle came off....of course i placed it back on as you do....

and another fiver taped to the back door....

hmmmm and then.....well he should be at golf today so i can get stuck in with banana but....he then phones up and says i have left your money....in the porch....er....hmmmm....well its easy to pick up ....but not just by me.....so i will have to sort that one out...

what i am pushing more than ever....is ....set up direct debit...money in....windows cleaned...simples....and of course i always leave a note saying thankyou for prompt payment...:windowcleaner:

I used to discuss with customer on agreement of clean. They could pay cash or if out leave cash or check in a pre planned place or pay via our site with payal. Most of the time it worked, I did have a two Strick's and your out though.

If they owed for the last two cleans then I would stop cleaning until I got payment or just stop cleaning theirs all together.

If the customer doesn't pay on the day I collect the following Friday, if they're not in I simply leave them a note 'Window Cleaner called but you were out, will call again Tuesday' and then go back Tuesday, It's easy for me as I live on the estate of which I clean /emoticons/biggrin.png

Dropping bad payers sounds like a good plan and it's something I need to do too , it's really hard when 2 jobs (neighbours) are good friends and 1 pays and the other don't

Paypal doesn't cost anything if you get custy to pay as a gift payment

Supposed to be for friends/family

Let's just say I must have a lot of friends round here..:giggle:

Hi Guys new to forum but been lurker for ages......just to add been a trad for 6 years and started from nowt.....BUT I have had to

almost change my entire round in the the first 4 years to weed out the timewasters and that s been the hardest part of the job...

started to cheap and too soft ......but I learned the hard way.........getting your money in a timely fashion was and still is the hardest part of the job

Back