Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning wars!!

Mick

So I understand it's a dog eat dog business but what really is the point in window cleaners undercutting to get one or 2 extra houses??? Is it the customers fault for not being loyal or the window cleaners fault for having sly ways of getting work?

There are thousands of houses everywhere so why try and get houses when you know they have a window cleaner already?!

Customer makes decision not window cleaner.most of the time custy is not happy about service provided it is their call for change

Customer makes decision not window cleaner.most of the time custy is not happy about service provided it is their call for change
Disagree!

If a bad job is done then every window cleaner needs to take it on the chin if they lose the job. but if the job is good and it comes down to a sly rat knocking on doors acting desperate and doing it for a pound or two cheaper when he knows full well there's a window cleaner that's worked there for years then he's asking for trouble.

Times are hard for most people at the moment, so some customers might chose the cheaper option. However they soon find out that you get what you pay for in this world. I've picked up just this week jobs that already had a window cleaner. 1st one this week was a 60 quid job for gutters and fascia clean and getting rid of the grey sills, simply because their window cleaner did a 5 quid job for 5 quid basically. Now that customer in mine for 12 quid. Another today, same scenario 6 quid window cleaner cost the customer 80 notes for my corrective work. He too is now mine for 12 notes. Same cleaners house opposite I've give a 180 quid quote and accepted and booked and he'll be another customer I will gain regular. So my point is, its about the quality of service you provide for what you charge. Regrdless of if someone has a window cleaner or not. People get complacent and start doing shoddy work, then they can't moan when they lose customers. This is the main reason why I chose not to buy rounds, but to build my own. 12 weeks since I started and my book is near full already.

Disagree!If a bad job is done then every window cleaner needs to take it on the chin if they lose the job. but if the job is good and it comes down to a sly rat knocking on doors acting desperate and doing it for a pound or two cheaper when he knows full well there's a window cleaner that's worked there for years then he's asking for trouble.
Sounds like you've got an axe to grind mate, have you lost some work or something? If you re-read RShandymans post you'll see hes kind of saying the same thing as you.

Why Mick as it's the customer that makes that choice not you.

To be honest if they go with someone cheaper then they are not worth having in the first place as they will do the same to others. There are many types of ppl about but penny pinchers I defo don't want on my books.

Times are hard for most people at the moment, so some customers might chose the cheaper option. However they soon find out that you get what you pay for in this world. I've picked up just this week jobs that already had a window cleaner. 1st one this week was a 60 quid job for gutters and fascia clean and getting rid of the grey sills, simply because their window cleaner did a 5 quid job for 5 quid basically. Now that customer in mine for 12 quid. Another today, same scenario 6 quid window cleaner cost the customer 80 notes for my corrective work. He too is now mine for 12 notes. Same cleaners house opposite I've give a 180 quid quote and accepted and booked and he'll be another customer I will gain regular. So my point is, its about the quality of service you provide for what you charge. Regrdless of if someone has a window cleaner or not. People get complacent and start doing shoddy work, then they can't moan when they lose customers. This is the main reason why I chose not to buy rounds, but to build my own. 12 weeks since I started and my book is near full already.
How many regulars have you picked up in the 12 weeks to get you near full? I'm intrigued.

How many regulars have you picked up in the 12 weeks to get you near full? I'm intrigued.
Over 100 2 weekers, over 200 4 weekers. Plus this gives me a few days to do the gutter, conserv jobs etc too.

I don't see the point in having 8 weeks of work, when customers want 4 weeks max. Plus having 4 weeks as your max means your cleans are easier too.this is one grip a lot of the customers I have had.. they want routine, so they know when their window cleaner is coming.

If custy decides to change for cheaper option that is ok. you need to make sure that you do not compromise of quality of your work and soon you will get loyal customers who are happy to pay more to get reliable, punctual cleaner who does not cut corners to do it cheaper

Lowest I've got in one day at the moment is 8 and the most 31, which is flats.
:eek: That is amazing! How do you do it? Were you a salesman ever? Maybe you could teach @Whizz\-Bizz a thing or two /emoticons/wink.png

Sorry chaps thought for a min I was on the wrong forum as that is unbelievable how anyone can build a round that quick and clean windows at the same time.

I though i was doing well getting 128 customers without door knocking since april , mine are all 4 weekly and at a good price for this area where i live, i find that people will pay extra if you do a decent job, a lot of people round this way don't seem to trust the window cleaners that they have had in the past for whatever reason. I only did one leaflet drop when i first started of 1500, from there all my work has come from recommendation and word of mouth, for the last few weeks i have been picking up at least 6 customers a week:thumbsup:

I find that if the customer takes to you on meeting you have cracked it /emoticons/biggrin.png

Smurf, I'm sure your pulling my leg. Every job I pick up. I just ticket the whole street and yes first cleans are a pain but worth doing properly as I'm sure your aware.

If custy decides to change for cheaper option that is ok. you need to make sure that you do not compromise of quality of your work and soon you will get loyal customers who are happy to pay more to get reliable, punctual cleaner who does not cut corners to do it cheaper
You've hit the nail on the head.

Back