Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaners running costs to keep on the job advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Scottie

Hi all,

I am finally out there this week flyering and door knocking and starting my venture. I just wanted to ask as I am building a spread sheet on running costs and what cost are involved for me to keep the business going form car insurance to equipment re fills.

If anyone out there can add to my list or advise if I have it all that would be great, thought I would ask here as you guys no it as your living it.

Thank you in advance, really appriciate your help.

CAR AND BUSINESS USE INSURANCE

PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE

EQUIPMENT REFILLS - LOW COST REALLY LIKE CLOTHS, RUBBERS ETC

The rest is promotion etc.

Thanks

Dont forget fuel on your spreadsheet, also any work clothes, i found as i got going i was adding various things, good luck and go for it matey :thumbsup:

Vehicle Expenditure

Vehicles

Insurance

Mot

Road Tax

Repairs

Cleaning

Petrol

Window Cleaning Exp.

Liability Insurance

Business Licences

Business Expenditure

Mobile Phone

Stationery

Ink Cartridges

Advertising

Accountancy Fees

Software

Website Hosting

Equipment

General Equipment

Soap

Clothing

Boots

Ladders

Clamps

Water Fed Pole Exp.

Purification Equipment

WFP Equipment

Resin

Banking

Bank Charges

Int 2 National Insurance

That pretty much covers it.^

Also, remember to have an exit strategy, i.e. you need some form of pension or investment as you won't be able (or want) to window clean forever.

TolishAPurd - Yes your so right. I have the legal sides covered got quotes on adding busines ins to car and also got a pli quote too, so already and legal to go. got my domain and thats it really legally, the running costs above, well are stationary and stuff like taxable and will come off my tax bill? Say I spend £200 on equipment today I get the invoice, when it comes to tax and say I earnt £20 for the year i would be taxed 20% of say £10k as its arond 10k threshold now I would take £200 off the amount or is it 20% of the £200 spent? I am confusing myself today somewhat lol. You guys on here are a god send I have had so much great advice and to get it from the people whom are doing what I want to do is great. THANKS

The current theshold is 10k. In theory it works like this

sales 20k

-theshold of 10k

10k is taxable

- expenses of say 4k

6k is taxable at 20%

You pay £1200

But it wont work quite like that exactly, not all expenses are allowed, some you will only be allowed a percentage of the expenses. Some expenses you will get that you might not think about for instance part of your electricity bill for your home. If you buy a car it goes into capital gains so you will get a percentage of the expense over the years it will likely last, not the same if you buy a van.

Also on your first year you pay a part of next years bill which is a pain, but in the second year it wont make a difference.

An accountant will expain all that better, I am a little fortunate as my wife is one.

Hi Laddergarder, thank you for that info. I am going to do my own accounts with help of a friend whom is an accountant, just had a word. I no alot of people on othe rplaces I go on say ah the petrol thing is a pain "i dont bother with it, make slife easier ok dont get the releife" Some people are complacent about claim it all as lazy, but I want to get what I can, ok some thigns i wont be assed recording, but I want to claim what I can thats fair.

Cheers again for the info much help. I do my work on tablet, so wont use much electric, so prob wotn be able to calculate that, but yeah wonders some people put a lunch break down a out flyering canvassing and claim the money on tax, is that allowed? I hear if you do it now and then it is and its only if you abuse things HMRC might ask.

Admin side is the **** side of things, I think I will take note and keep my records just updated each day.

Claiming food as long as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong ) I live in derbyshire so can't claim for any food I buy in my county, however if im working in nottingham and I buy £8.00 dinner that is claimable ? Is that correct

Back