Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Preparations for winter

TolishAPurd

I had this flask turn up today from amazon;

21RJQJ1FN0L.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Series-Stainless-Steel-Flask/dp/B0001MQ8NA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413217887&sr=8-1&keywords=flask+thermos+work

At 32 notes its a touch on the pricey side, but I'm fed up of having to buy a new cheap one every year. I filled it with boiling water at 11 this morning and its still scalding hot nearly 6 hours later even though I've opened it a few times and poured some out as in normal use. It should be a keeper.

I've got plenty of beanie hats and gloves to keep the worst of the weather off too.

What sort of prep are you guys doing?

At a guess I would say three mate. It has a nice size cup on it. The flask is only 1.2L which is a bit small for a full day out, but I usually fill up a travel mug for a brew on my morning break after my first few cleans.

I'm a thick skinned bugger and don't really need any prep for winter at all , some worry about it ,, me! Winter just goes over my head unnoticed tbh

I actually really enjoy the WCing in the winter, and I already have a wild camping trip booked for the winter so i love the elements. But one thing that makes the job great is being able to sit in the van and watch the world go by with a hot mug of tea in my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't put a price on comfort and staying warm. I'm 6"5 and my arms are long so I guess the reason my finger tips get so cold is the blood has a bloody long way to get to;)

For those that like the flask....buy it! Its just kept my water scalding hot for 8 hours and thats without pre heating it like you are supposed to. You can get it a bit cheaper on ebay but I wanted some easy comeback if it turned out to be **** in a few months time.

Tolish....do they fit the fingers nice and snug to allow for detailing
Yes mate, they are a tight fit but they do have a bit of insulation so its not as snug as something like a rubber palmed general work glove. I could imagine it to be great for the really cold mornings, and keep some of the cheap skinny rubberised ones for when its 'nippy'. I've never used mine for window cleaning, I just use them when hiking and doing my 'ray mears sh*t' so a work glove is ideal.

Taken your advice tolish and ordered a flask as most of my customers are to tight to offer me a drink :laugh:
Sweeeeeeeeet. Top tip: When you find a non payer, just pour your tea all over his frozen windscreen- it'll take more then gavin from autoglass with his little crack fillingmachine to sort that out!/emoticons/wink.png

For me, good boots are essential, such as these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Fall-Quartz-Brown-S3-HRO-Steel-Toe-Cap-Safety-Boots-Work-Boots-Footwear-PPE-/121277087632?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Also, a good warm coat, lots of layers underneath, long johns, woolly hat and some decent waterproof gloves. I brought these last year, but because the fingers are padded they are not ideal for detailing:

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/performance-activity-glove

Must admit, its my hands that suffer more than anything, particularly when the ladder is like a block of ice.

Back