Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diwrnach

New window cleaner basing business off bashing wfp

TolishAPurd
Just knock the fecker out and be done with it. ..sorry the raki is taking

Calm down Bricktop.

Diwrnach
I don't want to play devils advocate here, but I see a lot of anti trad propaganda from WFPers too. But that said, his advert does come across a bit desperate. And I'm always sceptical of anyone that states they'll come at a certain day and time on a window cleaning round- its a recipe for reduced earnings and customer disapointment IMHO. Smacks of a noob entering the scene to me and he'll regret tying himself down like that when things get busier.

1 golden rule about professional marketing is to sells your own attributes, not bad mouth others whether it be percieved or actual. I really don't like the part where he mentions WFPers being on £100 an hour or whatever, its just disrespectful to the trade and fellow tradesmen.

You should check out his website if you think his advert is bad.

TolishAPurd
You should check out his website if you think his advert is bad.

I already did. Its pretty poor. I can see why he'd get peoples back up, but I wouldn't let it bother you too much. If hes spouting that on his site then hes probably talking the same $h*t in the street. He'll be about as popular as a fart in a space suit, which is no way to start a business IMO.

Bilko's Privates

Iv'e been window cleaning for well over twenty years now, so I know all about traditional and wfp methods.

You can talk all you want about which method gives the best results but in my option it's always wfp because it's about health & safety.

TolishAPurd
Iv'e been window cleaning for well over twenty years now, so I know all about traditional and wfp methods.

You can talk all you want about which method gives the best results but in my option it's always wfp because it's about health & safety.

I reckon it has more to do with the window cleaner, and not the method. If you reckon WFP is so much better, then maybe you weren't a very good tradder? Btw, you're on a forum with a mix of WFPers and tradders- have some respect.

Diwrnach

For me personally I find WFP better, but there is nothing at all wrong with trad, and I also firmly believe one will be better than the other depending on the situation, having both is in my opinion the best way :)

Also agree with the above, I have seen some shocking trad work, there is a charity shop near me a trad guy was doing the other day, it was bloody awful, that doesn't mean trad is bad, just he was bad at it.

Same applies to WFP, think a lot of the issues arise from people seeing window cleaning as an easy no skill job anyone can do, so they either have a bit of cash and buy WFP so they don't have to climb ladders or whatever, have no idea how to use it and make a right mess of it not rinsing down properly etc and leaving it covered in water marks.

Same with trad, only costs a hundred quid or something to set up without any idea what they are doing and make a right mess of that as well.

Both are good, both work, or both are crap and neither work, all down to the operator of each :)

Diwrnach

The biggest positive for me for WFP is how I can really easily clean the hard to trad windows, above connie roofs, dormas, veluxs etc

Tuffers
I reckon it has more to do with the window cleaner, and not the method. If you reckon WFP is so much better, then maybe you weren't a very good tradder? Btw, you're on a forum with a mix of WFPers and tradders- have some respect.

I don't think he is being disrespectful, he's giving us his point of view.

TolishAPurd
I don't think he is being disrespectful, he's giving us his point of view.

1st post coming on to tell everyone that he thinks WFP is better then trad. I personally think hes trolling, but who knows.

No one knows all about any method, we are always learning. You can be a bad window cleaner for 20 years. Like the time I chatted to a window cleaner that had been doing it for 20+years(apprentice trained apparently), yet his technique reminded me of my first sexual encounter- clumsey and messy.

Huge contradiction here: He states that WFP gives the best results, and then says its because of health and safety? Two totally seperate issues. Health and safety is about health and safety- it has no concern for the quality of the workmanship. All the HSE cares about is that people and employees are safe.

Tuffers
1st post coming on to tell everyone that he thinks WFP is better then trad. I personally think hes trolling, but who knows.

No one knows all about any method, we are always learning. You can be a bad window cleaner for 20 years. Like the time I chatted to a window cleaner that had been doing it for 20+years(apprentice trained apparently), yet his technique reminded me of my first sexual encounter- clumsey and messy.

Huge contradiction here: He states that WFP gives the best results, and then says its because of health and safety? Two totally seperate issues. Health and safety is about health and safety- it has no concern for the quality of the workmanship. All the HSE cares about is that people and employees are safe.

Like he said, he knows both methods and for him WFP gives the best results, in his opinion. Not being disrespectful TAP, but have you used both methods?

I personally feel that there is a place for both, but if I can WFP a job instead of trad it, I will. It's quicker, safer, earns you your money quicker and on Georgians and leaded lights it definitely cleans better.

There you go, that's my opinion and I'm right :thumbsup:

Diwrnach

That is a really good point, depends where you live as well, see I live in the Cotswolds, and if you drive through some of the villages where I clean you would be hard pressed to find a house that doesn't either have Georgians or leaded windows, round this way there are tons of them, its only the fairly new estates that don't have them, and even half of those have Georgians.

Diwrnach

That is actually something I wanted to ask, went to look at a listed building the other day, they only wanted certain windows that weren't leaded done as the lady had tried to clean the leaded ones on the inside and ended up knocking some out and cost them a few hundred to fix.

Best to completely ignore these? I did consider offering to just rinse them with pure, and maybe they would come clean after awhile, but then the rain hasn't cleaned them so?

Any ideas?

Tuffers
That is actually something I wanted to ask, went to look at a listed building the other day, they only wanted certain windows that weren't leaded done as the lady had tried to clean the leaded ones on the inside and ended up knocking some out and cost them a few hundred to fix.

Best to completely ignore these? I did consider offering to just rinse them with pure, and maybe they would come clean after awhile, but then the rain hasn't cleaned them so?

Any ideas?

Proper leaded windows can leak water in using WFP as they are individual panes held in the lead and they can also be very delicate. Try using a very light brush like a Gardiners Xtreme.

TolishAPurd
Like he said, he knows both methods and for him WFP gives the best results, in his opinion. Not being disrespectful TAP, but have you used both methods?

I personally feel that there is a place for both, but if I can WFP a job instead of trad it, I will. It's quicker, safer, earns you your money quicker and on Georgians and leaded lights it definitely cleans better.

There you go, that's my opinion and I'm right :thumbsup:

Like fck are you :thumbsup: J/k.:)

I haven't tried both, but I don't need to have. I pick up customers every month that start the phonecall with "You don't use one of those pole things do you?". But I have the common sense to know that its the cleaners fault, and not the method. And I have the respect to not spout rubbish against WFP on the forum, despite what my opinions are on it. I know that each of these methods has its users here, but most importantly I know that people on here rely on each method for their livelihoods so a bit of tact is in order.

I've got no issue when people say about WFP being better for leaded, georgeans etc. Common sense would say that it is easier to brush these with a big brush then it is to squeegee each one individually, or using a cloth. But when someone says its better results, then its going to get the backs up of any tradders in the same way the trad muppet did on his website.

Also, what's best for the window cleaner, is not necasarily what's best for the customer.

For the record, I'm hoping to get a WFP trolley soon to use it for the times when WFP is desired or essential.

Smurf

Hi & welcome to the forum @Bilko&\#039;s Privates :thumbsup:

I could not agree more as I would much prefer to use a 30ft pole than a 30ft ladder for sure;)

Natty1972

Might be better just to buff by hand than having water running inside on old lead windows ,,, Hell ive missed a good topic. M8 i wouldnt worry about that bloke. I live in a small village . We get 6 window cleaners coming and going . There is loads of work to get by word of mouth .keep cleaning your custies , keep your standards high , youll have nothing to worry about,

Guest SolarPanelCleaning

In the words of 'Dave Rabbit',

'Fuck it, before it fucks you'

That is all.

Tuffers

@TolishAPurd, read this quote and then re-read it. What I think he is saying is that you can argue which is best, but for him, he opts for WFP for health and safety.

TolishAPurd
@TolishAPurd, read this quote and then re-read it. What I think he is saying is that you can argue which is best, but for him, he opts for WFP for health and safety.

I see what you mean now. It read a bit differently in my head. No offence meant, but I've read a lot of anti trad propaganda on here in the past so I think I just took this as another example of that. If you're still reading then sorry for jumping to conclusions Bilko.

Smurf

Trad ladder work is crap compared to wfp work. The only thing you get is a very tight bum hole when the ladder starts to slip or if you are very unlucky follow through. Then follows the aerobics in slow motion trying to land on your feet at the bottom. I should know I've been there :D

Guest boarcity

sure theres no risk of falling ,but with wfp long term theres the risk of dying early from obesity[very common, iv seen plenty who use the big gut to their advantage counterbalancing the pole ]never mind the neck problems iv read about. wfp is in its infancy so long term deficiencies are only now starting to appear

cant remember who offhand ,but somebody with an established firm was posting for advice on what to do about a worker of 23 yrs old who after a few yrs [5 ish ]fulltime pole now couldnt do it , i think it was his shoulder that had weakened badly from overuse

TolishAPurd
Trad ladder work is **** compared to wfp work. The only thing you get is a very tight bum hole when the ladder starts to slip or if you are very unlucky follow through. Then follows the aerobics in slow motion trying to land on your feet at the bottom. I should know I've been there :D

TBH, apart from the money, and ease of use on awkwards windows it just doesnt appeal to me. I couldn't think of anything more tedious then scrubbing each and every window with a long brush. At least with the squeegee you get to show off some skills. :)

TolishAPurd
sure theres no risk of falling ,but with wfp long term theres the risk of dying early from obesity[very common, iv seen plenty who use the big gut to their advantage counterbalancing the pole ]never mind the neck problems iv read about. wfp is in its infancy so long term deficiencies are only now starting to appear

cant remember who offhand ,but somebody with an established firm was posting for advice on what to do about a worker of 23 yrs old who after a few yrs [5 ish ]fulltime pole now couldnt do it , i think it was his shoulder that had weakened badly from overuse

Good point. I was out ofaction for 18 months due to a shoulder injury related to overuse. And believe me, it sucks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.